The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 24, 2007, 05:55 AM   #1
Kyonic
Registration in progress

How to figure out OAL

Hey guys I have a question for loading .44mag loads for my lever rifle and for loading 45LC for my vaquero. How do I get the OAL do I just measure a factory load and use it?
Old September 24, 2007, 07:14 AM   #2
Polydorus

Isn't the maximum overall length listed in your reloading manual?
Old September 24, 2007, 08:04 AM   #3
Al Norris
Moderator Emeritus

Kyonic, sometimes the OAL is listed in the reloading data as COL - Cartridge Overall Length. Making OAL synonomous with COL.
Old September 28, 2007, 07:59 PM   #4
Kyonic
Registration in progress

So COL or OAL is what i want to make my end product be right or what the OAL of my bullet? And this is different than MOAL or Max OAL, right. Ok and what about a crimp for .44 in my marlin 1894 rifle should I give it some crimp? How much whould I put on it, I will be using the Lee factory crimp die.
Old September 29, 2007, 05:06 AM   #5
Thesenator

Kyonic, not trying to be a smart ass but, you really need to buy a couple of books and do some reading before you get too deep into reloading.
Old September 29, 2007, 09:47 AM   #6
Al Norris
Moderator Emeritus

Kyonic, those cartridges in the tube of your Marlin are subject to a lot more abuse than just the recoil of the rifle when being shot. My advice is to make sure they are all crimped well.

This cures any problems with setback, in your day-to-day handling of the rifle. It should also be noted that slower burning pistol powders (like H110/W296 and H4227) perform much better with a good hard crimp.
Old September 30, 2007, 06:02 PM   #7
wncchester

Don't make too big a deal of book OAL figures, it's just what that loader used. So long as a cartridge feeds through the magazine and chambers, it's good enough to shoot.

For handgun bullets, just crimp them in the proper groove and it's likely to work fine.
Old September 30, 2007, 06:15 PM   #8
Jim Watson

Seat the bullet to where you can crimp in the groove or cannelure provided. OAL is what you get when you do that. If the loaded cartridge fits the cylinder and loading gate, you are all set. If it doesn't, the bullet is not suitable.