The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights > Legal and Political

Old November 21, 2002, 01:46 PM   #1
John Forsyth

My letter to the Editor of the Tennessean

The more I thought about it, the more I had to do something about it. After reading Rep. Henri Brooks, Memphis, comments about pending legislation. TFL thread here:

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...hreadid=141388

Just had to write the letter.

Brooks is all wrong on Second Amendment

To the Editor:

I would like to know where all the bodies are.

State Rep. Henri Brooks, D-Memphis, has stated that she is against any relaxation of current state guns laws with respect to handgun permit holders. She says, ''If you are going to have a bunch of boys riding around in these trucks with loaded guns and factor into this phenomena called road rage, you are going to have a bunch of bodies splattered on the highway like fried eggs.'' Tennessee has been a shall-issue state for handgun carry permits since 1994, and this has not happened.

What boys is she referring to? You must be 21 to obtain a permit. You must pass a TBI and a FBI background check before one will be issued. We are talking about adult, squeaky-clean, law-abiding citizens, not gang-bangers riding around the hood.

Rep. Brooks has a unique perspective of the Constitution as well. While she feels it is within her First Amendment rights to not pledge allegiance to the flag because she feels the flag is a flag of slaveholders, she would deny me my Second Amendment rights. She says we do not understand it correctly. She said the purpose of the amendment was to allow the militia in Revolutionary War times to keep guns in their homes. It was not about ''everybody protecting themselves in their house.'' The U.S. 5th Circuit Court of Appeals says it is an individual right and so does the attorney general of the United States.

The Second Amendment is what protects her First Amendment right of self expression in showing disrespect to our flag. It is obvious that Rep. Brooks is out of touch with reality.

John Forsyth

I have recieved several emails from others who have read the letter in the paper. All but one positive.
Old November 21, 2002, 01:56 PM   #2
Betty

Read it in the paper this morning. Good job!

Can't the same for the other two anti letters - the "guns help people kill with unnatural ease" guy and the "Tennessee is ranked first nationally in roads and last in schools. Add this new bill, and we'll become the quickest, least educated gunfighters in the continental U.S.."
Old November 21, 2002, 01:59 PM   #3
Baron Holbach

Great letter, Mr. Forsyth.
Old November 21, 2002, 03:28 PM   #4
JCOJR

Good letter and I'm glad the "Tennessean" published it! JCO
"There are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations. " -James Madison, speech to the Virginia Ratifying Convention, June 16, 1788

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive.....those who torment us, for our own good, will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." C.S. Lewis
Old November 21, 2002, 05:14 PM   #5
pre-B '75

This the same paper algore worked for?
Old November 21, 2002, 05:22 PM   #6
NewShooter78

I think that it is pre-B '75.