The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old January 19, 2015, 10:37 AM   #1
stonewall50

Concealing a Security 6

So I am going to be headed camping with my girlfriend over the summer. Our trip is going to be North Carolina and we plan on hiking. I normally carry a 9mm, but I have a security 6 .357 with hot loads. I was wondering if I could get some recommendations on how to carry this concealed while hiking/camping.

My primary concern is bears. I just want a "just in case." I don't really trust pepper spray and I am confident in taking care of the campsite. Just the hiking makes me a little worried. Last time we did this we saw a ton of bears. Any recommendations?
Old January 19, 2015, 10:43 AM   #2
Jim567

An un tucked flannel shirt hides a lot. Not out of place camping .
Any outside the pants close fitting holster should be OK and comfortable.
Old January 19, 2015, 11:05 AM   #3
old bear

Why the need to conceal? You're going to be in a wilderness area, and North Carolina allows open carry. So any good field holster should work just fine. A shoulder holster may be good for both open and concealed carry.

Enjoy your time in the Old North State.
Old January 19, 2015, 11:09 AM   #4
stonewall50

Quote:
Originally Posted by old bear View Post
Why the need to conceal? You're going to be in a wilderness area, and North Carolina allows open carry. So any good field holster should work just fine. A shoulder holster may be good for both open and concealed carry.

Enjoy your time in the Old North State.

Really? I was unaware. I'm very used to Florida where open carry is against the law, but it is legal in the instance I'm doing...but I've dealt with idiot park authorities in the past. My view is I would rather them not know.
Old January 19, 2015, 11:51 AM   #5
Kosh75287

In a perfect world, I'd be inclined to agree with OLD BEAR, but an overly officious park worker or game warden can utterly wreck your camping trip. Even if you are 100% in the right, it can cost you a lot of money and time to explain it to a judge.
I have, in the past, depended on the clear and correct thinking of such public servants and have been bitterly disappointed by the presumption that they knew what they were doing. I assume all of them who approach me are looking for a pretext on which to demonstrate their authority, and I conduct myself in such a way as to give them as little to work with as possible.

You don't mention what barrel length your Security Six is, but if it is 4", I suggest that you look at a Milt Sparks "Summer Special" IWB holster, or one of the variants they make. Normally, IWB holsters are at their best with automatics, but since concealment in a very warm environment is a major constraint, IWB holsters are a good answer. Not all revolvers go well with IWB holsters, but certain ones work well from them. I find a S&W N-frame uncomfortable to carry in this way, but my Police Service Six approximates the proportions of a K-frame S&W (and your Security Six), and works well out of the Summer Special.

The holster is by no means inexpensive, but the 3 I've worn over 35 years have been some of the best holsters I've ever used. I suggest that you consult with them and, if you place an order, do it soon. Their time between ordering and delivery can be lengthy, at times. In the case of all their holsters, you'll find the product worth the wait.

JMO

انجلو. المسلحة. جاهزة. Carpe SCOTCH!

Last edited by Kosh75287; January 19, 2015 at 12:00 PM.
Old January 19, 2015, 11:54 AM   #6
Doyle

I frequently carry a snubnose Security Six in the woods (did it just yesterday in fact). Very loose flannel shirt covers it. HOWEVER, all covering bets are off if you are wearing a backpack - it WILL make your shirt ride up over the grips.
Old January 19, 2015, 11:45 PM   #7
stonewall50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosh75287 View Post
In a perfect world, I'd be inclined to agree with OLD BEAR, but an overly officious park worker or game warden can utterly wreck your camping trip. Even if you are 100% in the right, it can cost you a lot of money and time to explain it to a judge.

I have, in the past, depended on the clear and correct thinking of such public servants and have been bitterly disappointed by the presumption that they knew what they were doing. I assume all of them who approach me are looking for a pretext on which to demonstrate their authority, and I conduct myself in such a way as to give them as little to work with as possible.

You don't mention what barrel length your Security Six is, but if it is 4", I suggest that you look at a Milt Sparks "Summer Special" IWB holster, or one of the variants they make. Normally, IWB holsters are at their best with automatics, but since concealment in a very warm environment is a major constraint, IWB holsters are a good answer. Not all revolvers go well with IWB holsters, but certain ones work well from them. I find a S&W N-frame uncomfortable to carry in this way, but my Police Service Six approximates the proportions of a K-frame S&W (and your Security Six), and works well out of the Summer Special.

The holster is by no means inexpensive, but the 3 I've worn over 35 years have been some of the best holsters I've ever used. I suggest that you consult with them and, if you place an order, do it soon. Their time between ordering and delivery can be lengthy, at times. In the case of all their holsters, you'll find the product worth the wait.

JMO

Sorry my bad I thought I put it, but it is a 6 inch barrel. Hunting pistol lol. Sorry. Thanks man.
Old January 19, 2015, 11:51 PM   #8
stonewall50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doyle View Post
I frequently carry a snubnose Security Six in the woods (did it just yesterday in fact). Very loose flannel shirt covers it. HOWEVER, all covering bets are off if you are wearing a backpack - it WILL make your shirt ride up over the grips.

Odds are I will be, but I am thinking about getting a cheap turkey vest to carry everything with. And I am thinking it may work well for carrying/camping too. It would probably cover my current holster which is an OLD nylon (like 29 years) snap holster that is still in great condition.
Old January 19, 2015, 11:53 PM   #9
Metalboy

I don't know the law where you'll be, but here in Wisconsin you can carry anyway you want to, while fishing or hunting/hiking in the woods. Even traveling to or from.
Old January 19, 2015, 11:58 PM   #10
stonewall50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalboy View Post
I don't know the law where you'll be, but here in Wisconsin you can carry anyway you want to, while fishing or hunting/hiking in the woods. Even traveling to or from.

Yep. But like I said, I don't want to give anyone an excuse. Pretty sad I know. If I were in Florida I would be comfortable on certain trails, but not somewhere I've never been in another state. Ya know?
Old January 20, 2015, 12:05 AM   #11
Metalboy

^^^
I understand.
Maybe this helps.

http://www.usacarry.com/concealed_ca...city_maps.html

http://www.freshfromflorida.com/Divi...lorida-License
Old January 20, 2015, 12:17 AM   #12
Deaf Smith

How about a large fanny pack?

Deaf
Old January 20, 2015, 12:20 AM   #13
Model12Win

Simply rugged sourdough pancake FTW.

Should work well, and if you want to conceal, it will do the job.
Old January 20, 2015, 10:17 AM   #14
Real Gun

For me, anything over 4" gets carried cross draw or by shoulder holster. That said, I don't rely on .357 Mag as a bear gun. I carry a SW 657 4" 41 Mag (N frame) in an Alaska Shoulder rig. I can also carry a NMBH 41 Mag in a belt holster. I also don't run "hot" loads in a Security Six. It is not heavy enough, although that long a barrel certainly helps.
Old January 20, 2015, 11:45 AM   #15
Doyle

Quote:
How about a large fanny pack?
I'm inclined to agree. If you want it to be truely concealed - even when carrying a backpack AND also easily accessable, I can't think of anything better than a fanny pack.
Old January 20, 2015, 03:26 PM   #16
Real Gun

Get back on track...OP is referring to a 6" "hunting gun".
Old January 20, 2015, 04:15 PM   #17
Doyle

Quote:
Get back on track...OP is referring to a 6" "hunting gun".
That makes the large fanny pack the only real alternative if he wants to keep it both hidden and accessable while wearing a backpack. A hip holster wont work because the backpack straps would cause his shirt to ride up exposing the weapon. A shoulder holster won't work because the backpack staps would conflict (I've tried and it isn't comfortable at all). A cross-chest holster would hold the weapon nicely (and with comfort) but not concealed.
Old January 23, 2015, 05:01 PM   #18
FilthyHarry

Maxpedition!

They have a whole line of bags that carry weapons and would serve as a day pack/sling pack. Are you going to be carrying a bag anyway?
Old January 24, 2015, 01:14 AM   #19
stonewall50

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilthyHarry View Post
They have a whole line of bags that carry weapons and would serve as a day pack/sling pack. Are you going to be carrying a bag anyway?

Sorry I been busy. Yea. I'm the designated pack mule according to my girlfriend lol. The least I would have is a camel back. But more likely just a raggedy older Swiss army back back that I've had for years. I can't really afford much in the way of special equipment. I gotta make due. I am thinking I can get away with outside the waistband carry at like 4 o'clock as long as I have a long shirt.

In the campsite I'm not worried too much. We will keep the food in the truck and I put bleach on the bumper and doors and around the edge of the site to keep the coons and bears away. They hate the smell.
Old September 6, 2015, 09:49 PM   #20
stonewall50

So I am bumping this thread because I found a way to "hack" my old holster for my security 6.

Keeping in mind that I am doing this as a way to carry it concealed for hiking (and while open carry may be valid in some states...I'd rather just conceal it and avoid any hassle from a confused nitwit who doesn't understand security [no pun intended]).

I just tuck the holster in my pants like an IWB, rub the belt through it, back into the belt loops, and it seems to work just fine. Cover it with my tee shirt. And it may make a huge bulge...it doesn't matter for hiking. Nobody is paying that close of attention on a long trail anyway. hope this gives some of yall some bright ideas on "hacking" your equipment to make it suffice as an outside the box solution.
Old September 11, 2015, 06:00 PM   #21
wpsdlrg

Open carry IS legal in NC, but I don't really recommend it for the purpose the OP describes. Even though legal, there are some jurisdictions in this state in which open carriers are subject to close scrutiny/ "harassment" by police...on the basis of a rather vague law on the books regarding what is referred to as "going forth to the terror of the population". It is, essentially, what many other states refer to as "brandishing", but carries the extra risk in that this law is very vaguely worded and highly subject to interpretation. Also, be very careful as regards WHERE you carry while hiking/ camping. Carry in state parks, national park land, etc., I believe, is still illegal. It is very possible in this state to cross through state or federal park land while hiking certain trails, in certain areas....and not always easy to know this for sure.

My opinion only, but I don't think it worth the risk to open carry in this circumstance. Provided you have a CC license that is legal in NC (and one issued in Florida would be), I would plan on keeping the weapon concealed.
Old October 10, 2015, 04:34 AM   #22
JimmyR

I've used a bandolier holster in the past with a 6" Security Six, which works much like a vertical shoulder holster when slung across my shouder and can be concealed with a light jacket.

Here's the one I had: http://www.amazon.com/Bulldog-Cases-...lster+revolver
Originally Posted by 45Gunner View Post
JimmyR nailed it.
Old October 10, 2015, 06:24 AM   #23
Smathersfish

I think NC allows CCW in the parks for CCW holders only. I may be wrong but I suggest checking regs before you come. I would not open carry in these areas. The rangers will not understand! Also people have more problems with people than bears in my area of Western North Carolina. I have encountered black bears a few times. Two black bears wondered through my yard Wednesday. They didn't want to be around me any more than I wanted to be around them. Hope you enjoy your camping trip.
Old October 10, 2015, 10:04 AM   #24
Doug S

Just for any future people researching this subject, my GP100 4in fits nicely in the Maxpedition Jumbo Versipak. Not super quick on the draw, but a nice carry method, especially if you want to pack some other items along.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." Col. Jeff Cooper, from The Art of the Rifle
Old October 10, 2015, 10:22 AM   #25
TJH3781

I would look at Kramer Leather for their pancake/paddle style holsters for your Security Six. They are well made & mount with a welted tad inside the belt & loops that attach to your belt. I would also make sure that it has a snap retainer for the actual weapon. They ride high & are easily concealable. Kramer provided holsters for the Michigan State Police at one time & I carried a Sig 228 in one for years & never had a retention problem.

There are other issues to remember; you need a good quality strong belt that fits you ; practice drawing the weapon as you will be dressed when hiking; & seriously consider good suspenders to hold your pants up!