The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 4, 2002, 11:02 AM   #1
Ric

Load recommendation for LARGE birds

I need to reduce my local "feral" emu population.

I'm not sure a No. 4 turkey load will be enough for 100 lbs+ birds that stand 6 feet tall. While 00 would work, i think that it might be overly destructive. Ranges will likely be less than 20 yards.

Looks like i won't need to get a turkey for Thanksgiving this year.

-ric
Old November 4, 2002, 11:31 AM   #2
Coronach

Uh...you have a feral emu population?

You're kidding, right?

Mike

"True pacifism is the finest form of manliness. But if a man comes up to you and cuts your hand off, you don't just offer him the other one. Not if you want to go on playing the piano, you don't." -Sam Peckinpah

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." -Robert Heinlein
Old November 4, 2002, 11:35 AM   #3
jmlv

There are FERAL EMU'S IN fla?

When the hunting season? Can I use a handgun? I hear these are right tasty (and apprently very dangerous as well? More info on the feral emu's please.
MOLON LABE!
Old November 4, 2002, 12:08 PM   #4
Ric

Coronach: I wish i was kidding.

My dog almost collapsed a lung whining to get out of her yard yesterday to chase them. And my wife is complaining that the emu's are stomping on her wild flowers.

There are two of them - maybe a breeding pair as the larger one has the bright blue head feathers (male) while the smaller one is all gray/brown.

They might not be escapees - no bands/brands/markings that i could see - so I'm guessing they are just feral. An emu/ostrich ranch about 10 miles away went bust several years ago so that's likely where they originated. My suspicion is that some local development may be pushing them out so they are looking for a new home.

I've got a call in to FWC - my understanding is that hunting exotics is not controlled and ferals (like hogs for example) are the property of the landowner. AFAIK they can be taken with anything from a crossbow to a .50 BMG.

If my county animal control can't trap 'em and i can catch them on my property.......pass that drumstick !

I have other options (.45 ACP, .45 Colt, 9mm, .303, and .308), but don't know what part of that 3 ft diameter ball of feathers to aim at.

-ric
Old November 4, 2002, 12:28 PM   #5
dZ

a body shot is gonna absorb or deflect light loads
i would run 00 buck or slugs

the head is pretty lightly armored but a much smaller target

i would think a .223 rifle would be effective

Quote:
Guidelines for Police Officers When Responding to Emergency Animal Incidents

Large, flightless birds (emu and ostrich) should be shot at a distance of 5 yards using #2 shot. Aim at the head. Take great care with them as they can run fast and deliver a lethal kick.

http://www.nal.usda.gov/awic/newslet...3/11n3hany.htm
the emu are on the loose:
http://www.redding.com/top_stories/l...toplo096.shtml
Old November 4, 2002, 01:08 PM   #6
Kharn

dZ: The USDA doesnt list any suggested recipes.

Kharn
Old November 4, 2002, 01:10 PM   #7
Ric

dz:

Just the kind of info i needed, thanks !

The lethal zone of the head looks pretty small. It would be a constantly moving target for a rifle shot and there are houses in two directions (200-400 yds away). And i want to be able to take them both quickly, so the second shot will likely be at a running target.

Stalking is not a problem - they follow me if i turn and start to walk away from them. I can get to within about 10 yards before they get nervous.

Will try to live capture first and "repatriate" - i've got a lead on a local rancher that might be the owner.

Still, i'll pickup some No.2's tonight. They will certainly be the biggest birds my old O/U has ever seen.

-ric
Old November 4, 2002, 01:17 PM   #8
lockandrock
Registration in progress

Ric where are you at ?

I think somewhere I've seen a group that collects Ostrichs and such animals. They might collect Emus also.
Old November 4, 2002, 02:46 PM   #9
dZ

yep, i would only body shoot one with the .223

unless you connect with a thigh bone,
i would still expect some "post emu" zip on the round

you could prolly bait them into a paddock with dog food
but i think you need 5-6 foot fences to keep them contained

at least they are not cassowarys!
http://www.giveusahome.co.uk/austral...wary/photo.JPG

obviously a 9mm handgun is not enough gun:
http://www.naplesnews.com/02/07/florida/d799944a.htm
"PAWS stated that they would not respond to this incident until Monday due to the fact that the last officer who attempted to pick up an emu ended up being hospitalized from injuries sustained during the fight," Jenks wrote in a police report.

Fearing the bird would harm dogs or neighborhood children, Jenks fired three shots into its torso. The emu kept running about 20 feet before collapsing and then Jenks fired two more shots to finish it off, according to his report.
Old November 4, 2002, 03:42 PM   #10
Ric

dz: A well-placed 9mm would probably be enough provided good penetration, suspect that a FMJ would be a better choice than a HP. A cloud of No. 2 to the head looks like the way to go.

l&r: I'm in North Central Florida. The local teaching zoo has all of them they can handle. Will also try the local vet school.

Heard from FWC....freefire zone !

Now I'm waiting to hear from Florida Agricultural Enforcement - they want to try to find their source (big fines i'm told). I have to let them know if there are any identifying bands or markings after the deed is done.

Another theory is that they are recent escapees that have been living off deer feeders.

-ric
Old November 4, 2002, 04:06 PM   #11
lockandrock
Registration in progress

Ric have you contact the American Ostrich group.

http://www.ostrichesonline.com/aoa/aoaindex.html
817-232-1200

They might beable to help out or provide some guide lines on the Emu.
I'm located south of you and if you need help with them I could drive up and help. I never shot a Emu but it has to be very interesting.
Old November 4, 2002, 05:00 PM   #12
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

OK, now I've seen everything on this BB. I guess the next thread will be about the best load and choke for velociraptors...

Let me give this a shot,pun intended.

While the head's a small target, tackling this like a large turkey makes sense. All that neck means lots of CNS exposed, and my guess is that a load of #4 buck delivered at a range/choke that keeps the pattern say a foot across or less, will do the job nicely.

I do think I'd want a cool hand on backup with a BFR like that 303 or 308. BFR, of course, means Big Feral Rifle.

BTW, I heard Emu makes great jerky. Let us know, please...

HTH....
Old November 4, 2002, 06:01 PM   #13
dZ

one thing i know from extensive axe to turkey neck experience:
deprived of a head, turkeys can "fly" ~20 yards and "flap out" for a good 30 seconds

i imagine sans head, an emu might still run you over!

heres yer recipe:
http://www.roebourne.wa.edu.au/RAIDOC%202002.htm

Make a large fire and heat rocks

Pluck all feathers off emu

Using a shovel carefully place hot rocks

inside stomach cavity of emu

Until it is full

Tie legs and neck together

Place wet sheet on ground and

Wrap emu in sheet

Very tightly

Emu is_ then placed in the pit and covered with hot sand and coals to cook for about 1-2 hours (depending on size of bird)

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
http://www.uniquelyemu.com/cooking-emu.htm
Gourmet Emu Cooking Tips
&_ Preparation Guidelines

EMU a Low Fat, Low Cholesterol Red Meat

Delicious grilled, broiled, pan fried, sautéed, roasted, sliced, diced or substituted in your favorite recipes. Emu meat will readily accept marinades within 30-60 minutes. Longer marinating is also acceptable. Since emu is a low fat red meat the cooking methods used need to be modified accordingly. Care needs to be used to not overcook this Gourmet quality meat which would result in a reduction in tenderness. For the best flavor and tenderness cook on med-high heat searing in the natural juices. The steaks of filets can be butterfly cut to ensure thorough cooking if a well done meat is desired. Take meat off the heat before the pink is out of the middle. Emu meat will continue to cook after removal from the heat, so let the meat set for several minutes before cutting. Always cut against the grain of the meat.

MORE MEAT, LESS WASTE, MEANS MORE VALUE FOR YOUR DOLLAR.

When substituting Emu meat in your recipes or planning your serving portions, keep in mind that low fat Emu meat will not shrink like other meats. You get more of what you pay for with no bones, exterior fat, or gristle. Emu meat is very shelf stable especially if vacuum packaged. Properly vacuum packaged meat will keep fresh in your refrigerator for up to 4 weeks, and up to 6-9 months in your freezer.

(When preparing filets we suggest that you first cut them to no more than 1/2 inch thickness, brush with a little olive oil, add desired seasoning and grill, broil, or pan fry. The oil helps to retain moisture and will keep filets from sticking.)

>>>>>>>>>
http://www.tisd.net/~goliadcc/MRBAR.htm

Hints For Cooking With Emu Meat

Remember, when preparing a meal, that Emu meat has very little fat; significantly less than skinned white turkey meat._ An added bonus is that Emu meat, while a red meat, is also much lower in cholesterol than white turkey meat.
Old November 4, 2002, 09:41 PM   #14
Matthew Courtney

Rather than stalking them with a shotgun, consider a .223 shot from an elevated position. A 150 yard shot (or less) from 15 ft high on a 3-4 ft high body is in the dirt within 200 yards.

Besides, tree houses are fun! I'd use 55 gr softpoints to minimize ricochet issues.
Old November 4, 2002, 10:13 PM   #15
Coronach

My god, what fun!

Mike

"True pacifism is the finest form of manliness. But if a man comes up to you and cuts your hand off, you don't just offer him the other one. Not if you want to go on playing the piano, you don't." -Sam Peckinpah

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." -Robert Heinlein
Old November 4, 2002, 11:39 PM   #16
dZ

i would think a katana would be quite sporting

Old November 5, 2002, 08:53 AM   #17
Bud1

FWIW, a co-worker of mine shot an emu with his .243 a couple of years ago. He has land in Central Texas, and assumed that the emu was either feral or an escapee from one of the local emu ranches.

BTW, they are all dark meat.
Old November 5, 2002, 09:56 AM   #18
CMichael

Perhaps they just need sensitivity training? Have you tried that first?

Michael
Old November 5, 2002, 10:09 AM   #19
Ric

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Didn't see them yesterday as we got home after dark, but heard them. They make a loud drumming sound. Appears that they are drinking from a small water garden pond in my side yard. I put some corn and more water out for them this morning.

Matt: I like the elevated shooting position idea but am still concerned about using a rifle - if i have to make second shot my safe fire zones will be limited. Best might still be a shotgun *and* an elevated position in case of post-shot festivities.

l&r: Thanks for the offer to help but I've got backup - a well-practiced hand with a 20 ga slug gun. (Payback - i have to help him with the deer that are eating his peas, he's got a depredation permit that will let us take 14 of them. Hey, life is tough !)

dz: i saw one report about using nine-irons, a going-out-of-business emu rancher (in Texas IIRC) had an emu roundup and bbq and issued golf clubs to some of the guests to help with procuring supplies. PETA tried to get them arrested.

Still looking at the live capture option and have to notify the owner of the ajacent property where they seem to be roosting at night.

My wife got some pictures of the first sightings on Friday - if they turn out i'll try to scan and post.

-ric
Old November 5, 2002, 10:38 AM   #20
lockandrock
Registration in progress

Ric, good luck. I called up my friend whos from the land of OZ and he told me in the land down under they use to trap them with nets.

He was quote as saying " you get a lot of excerise"

good luck.
Old November 5, 2002, 01:33 PM   #21
dZ

Quote:
where they seem to be roosting at night
don't sit under the apple tree

Old November 12, 2002, 07:50 PM   #22
JIH

To quote Darrel Hammond as Sean Connery "SWARDS!"

"That's S-Words"
Old November 12, 2002, 10:26 PM   #23
C.R.Sam

Revenge of the sheep...
Emu

Sam
Old November 12, 2002, 10:37 PM   #24
Will Beararms

A well placed 30-30 150 grain bullet in the boiler room. An Emu will hurt you. I would not take a chance on making one mad.
Old November 13, 2002, 10:10 AM   #25
brownlow

This is unbelievable.

When are you planning on taking some action against these birds?

I wonder if someone could find a Peter Capstick story or the like about hunting emu's. Might be informantive. I've come up empty on the search, though.

Good luck.

WGBV