The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old November 26, 2012, 02:47 AM   #1
RampantAndroid

S&W VTAC2 Chrome lined bolt carrier

Hi all,

I've got an S&W VTAC2, which claims to have a chrome lined bolt carrier and gas key...however, I'm confused. I'll admit I'm very new to AR15s, but won't chrome lined look shiny? If yes, then why does the bolt look like this?

The surface is a matte black. What's up here?

Also, it has a standard carbine buffer and an AR15bolt. Is going with a M16 bolt carrier and a matching H Buffer going to offer an improvement? (avoiding the whole chrome vs parked discussion in here.)

Thanks!

Last edited by RampantAndroid; November 26, 2012 at 04:02 AM.
Old November 26, 2012, 04:26 AM   #2
scsov509

Quote:
I've got an S&W VTAC2, which claims to have a chrome lined bolt carrier and gas key...however, I'm confused. I'll admit I'm very new to AR15s, but won't chrome lined look shiny? If yes, then why does the bolt look like this?
Chrome lined means that the carrier is lined inside with chrome. So if you disassemble the bolt carrier group then you'll see the inside of the carrier where the bolt goes is lined with chrome, and often times the gas key is lined with chrome as well. It does make cleaning a lot nicer, no doubt about it.

As far as a full auto carrier, it's main advantage to you is that it is heavier than a semi carrier because it's constructed a little differently. So no reason you necessarily need to switch carriers, especially if you're just plinking away with your gun for fun. The main advantage if the heavier bolt and buffers is that they slow the bolt down which means a little less recoil and faster follow up shots, unless you're running suppressed in which the additional weight is much more advantageous. So I wouldn't necessarily advocate you switch to an auto carrier, no need for that really. By you might find a heavier buffer would change the recoil and allow those faster follow up shots, which depending on what you're doing might be something of interest to you.
Old November 26, 2012, 07:58 AM   #3
RampantAndroid

I am considering going suppressed with a 30cal can rated for up to 300winmag (or ultra mag) and using that on my AR as well, realizing it'll weigh a little more and might not sound QUITE as good. With this in mind, would the extra weight be of more use?

Thanks!
Old November 26, 2012, 12:40 PM   #4
scsov509

If you make the jump to a suppressor then you'll definitely want to look at extra weight. I'd recommend at least a heavier buffer, I run H3's through my suppressed guns, and then the added weight if an auto carrier isn't a bad thing either. Seems like adjustable gas blocks are all the rage now on suppressed guns, but I run a lot of suppressed AR-15's and have found the additional weight is more than adequate for slowing the cyclic rate.

I'll also say that you'll be surprised at how a .30 can will quiet a 5.56. The hole make be a little bigger, but the extra volume of the can about evens it out so that you get pretty comparable sound reduction within a few DB's. I sell a lot of .30 cal cans to guys buying for the first time who have the same idea as you, and they are always pleased with the results. However, more often than not they're back within the year for another purchase since suppressors have a strange way of multiplying.