The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old May 28, 2010, 09:26 PM   #51
ohioleadslinger

Well this is a partal win folks. They have relented and have agreed to follow state law in the Cinci Division as it pertains to CC and class D6-D8. OC is another kettle of fish.They are not saying OC is welcome...

Email to our OFCC coordinator
Quote:
Mr. NavyChief,
Thanks for sharing your concern as it relates to this issue. I have been advised our company will follow state laws regarding the Conceal Carry Policy as you know this law may vary depending on state.
We currently do not post no weapons signs in our stores.

As always contact me if you have any additional questions or concerns.

Thanks,

Pierce ______
Kroger Company
Division Loss Prevention Manager
513-xxx-xxxx
Fax / 513-xxx-xxxx0

Verified via phone follow-up.
It was all the emails no doubt that turned the thing around. All due to good folks here and in all the forums we cross posted this issue on.

I say still keep emailing on the OC as it is lawful in Ohio.
Life Member NRA , OFCC Member
Old May 28, 2010, 09:38 PM   #52
ohioleadslinger

Quote:

ncpatriot wrote:

So, you Ohio guys; is OC that common in your state? Can you safely walk the street without being stopped/questioned? I prefer CC but think either should be legal. OC requires greater care to ensure firearm not being snatched, people should carefully deal with that.

Wouldn't say its a common thing but yes people OC here. In fact a guy just won a settlement for being taken down at gun point for OCing in Cleveland Heights.

I OC from time to time when I pump gas or don't feel like slipping on a cover garment in the summer while out and about.

After the wind storm a year and a half ago here the place went nuts with no power. When it came back on it was almost a riot situation at the gas stations. I OC'd when I went up to get fuel for my Geny.

So yep OC has it place and its problems but I support it and do it on occasion.

I suggest anyone that still believes in OC keep emailing Kroger as if they say they will follow state law then OC is lawful.

As it stands now CC is good to go in D-6 D-8 krogers. Just be sure of you local Kroger licenses. They can be found at Ohio Dept of Liquor Controls web site. Search by county then city. Some are D1 and D2 and some C's. This is questionable as to legal carry in Ohio and I personally wouldn't but we just passed SB239 in the state Senate and its headed to the House and this will fix all D establishments if we can get it through hopefully by November.
Old May 29, 2010, 08:52 PM   #53
ohioleadslinger

This is the story behind the story for those that wanted to know.

http://ohioccw.org/201005294880/krog...backs-off.html
Old May 31, 2010, 09:36 AM   #54
ncpatriot

Thaks OhioLeadSlinger, here in NC, OC is technically legal but not safe to do out and around. Anyone feeling threatened or intimidated can complain to police. One can be charged with "going armed to terror of the public". I use to see some OC by fisherman, still some by hunters. Don't know of that ever being a problem. Other than that, a few convenience store or gas station clerks. They are pretty safe with it, as they are on their own premises. I'd have to sympathize a little with Kroger, if they get complaints from other shoppers on someone doing OC. They want to be fair to everyone and don't want the frightened shoppers to leave. Hopefully, OC will become more common in more places and fewer people will complain. Don't know to what degree it will happen, but I'd like to see the public in general lose their fear of the mere sight of an armed citizen. In my city, if I OC'd, I would likely be stopped in 10-15 minutes, or as long as it takes for the 1st cop to arrive from the 1st call. Yes, there would be several calls.
Old July 16, 2010, 01:14 PM   #55
ncpatriot

It's now July 16, and our local Kroger has still not posted against CCW. Any further news from others on this?
Old July 16, 2010, 07:32 PM   #56
stevelyn

Pffffffffffft.......................... The Kroger owned Fred Meyer's stores in Alaska sell guns.

East Moose. Wear Wolf.
Old July 16, 2010, 08:08 PM   #57
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevelyn
Pffffffffffft.......................... The Kroger owned Fred Meyer's stores in Alaska sell guns.
Yeah ... but do they let you carry them out of the store?
Old July 16, 2010, 10:40 PM   #58
big_bad_kitty

I was in Kroger yesterday in Denton, TX. The one on University Dr (Hwy 380) and there are no signs posting no carry on the front entrance that Texas requires for a business to prohibit CC. If and when Kroger pulls this, I will take my grocery business to Albertson's or Wally World which may not be a lot but is $600 to $800 per month and my gasoline and diesel purchases (at the south Denton location) which are another $500 to $600 per month. Then there are the prescriptions that my wife and I both use Kroger for because it is convenient. It will not be convenient if I am not buying groceries and gas and diesel there. I believe the total cost for the meds each month surpasses another $600 per month. Kroger, this is for you. If you want to continue to sell me groceries, gas, diesel and meds at your pharmacy, you best not post your front door as I will not go through it if it is posted in any manner to restrict my right to carry concealed on your premises! Believe it as it is no BS!

Old July 17, 2010, 05:35 AM   #59
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
I was in Kroger yesterday in Denton, TX. The one on University Dr (Hwy 380) and there are no signs posting no carry on the front entrance that Texas requires for a business to prohibit CC.
Texas law does not require a sign to prohibit concealed carry. It does require a 30.06 sign if they are going to limit concealed carry through signage, but they can limit concealed carry without signage simply through verbal announcement.

Personally, I like the new Kroger on the south side of Denton.
Old July 17, 2010, 08:08 AM   #60
csmsss

There's a couple of things at play here in Texas. First, if you own a business and wish to exclude CHL's from carrying inside, you only have to make your policy clear - there's no requirement on how you do so - simply having a visible sign that says NO GUNS is more than adequate to allow the police to arrest someone if he/she is observed carrying onsite.

Now, if you operate a business that serves alcohol, and more than 50% of your revenue is derived from sales of alcohol, then CHL's are statutorily prohibited from carrying inside and you are obligated to post the ubiquitous "51" signs at your business establishment, and the language on these is obligatory under TX law.
Old July 17, 2010, 03:41 PM   #61
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
There's a couple of things at play here in Texas. First, if you own a business and wish to exclude CHL's from carrying inside, you only have to make your policy clear - there's no requirement on how you do so - simply having a visible sign that says NO GUNS is more than adequate to allow the police to arrest someone if he/she is observed carrying onsite.
Absolutely incorrect. See Texas penal code secion 30.06(c)(3)(a) and (b).
Old July 18, 2010, 05:09 AM   #62
stevelyn

Quote:
Yeah ... but do they let you carry them out of the store?
I don't know. I've never bought a gun at FM.

But I carry one in everytime I step inside a FM.

East Moose. Wear Wolf.
Old July 23, 2010, 07:59 PM   #63
jj381

"but they can limit concealed carry without signage simply through verbal announcement"

"Absolutely incorrect. See Texas penal code section 30.06(c)(3)(a) and (b). "

So simple verbal announcement is OK but just a sign that says NO GUNS is not acceptable and must be done using the correct 30.06 sign?
Sounds a bit iffy to me, especially since we can't expect the owner to announce to every entering customer about the policy. IMHO a sign saying no guns would be the same in practice.

I don't know if that's the case. If a place has a NO GUNS or similar sign, I wouldn't go there. Even if it's not illegal, the owner is already telling me he's against it and I would agree to his wishes, after telling him that I'm not coming in and not giving him my business until he takes of that sign. Of course large corporations are more complex.
Old July 23, 2010, 11:06 PM   #64
ClayInTx

The 30.06 forbids guns; nothing more needed.

Without a 30.06 it is required that the owner or his agent personally contact the gun carrier and ask him to leave. If the gunny leaves, that’s it. If he refuses it becomes criminal trespass.