The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old October 24, 2012, 03:52 PM   #1
Knight2040

TAC-65 Mag Dumps

So I have purchased and submitted paperwork for a Tactical Innovations Tac-65 suppressor mainly for my Walther P22.

Now, I know the Tac-65 is not full auto rated so I'm wondering how much it can take. I use my P22 mainly for steel target shooting so I will dump 4 mags one after another with about 5-10 mins in between to load the mags and wait my turn again. I will usually burn up an entire brick (500 rnds) for one session this way.

Will the Tac-65 withstand the scenario above or do I need to got to a steel can?

Thanks
-Pat
Old October 27, 2012, 12:48 AM   #2
GTlefty

I'm not an expert, but none of them have replied yet. Just thinking about your question from a mechanical standpoint, wouldn't the difference be that a FA rated can handle the pressure of multiple shots, since the time between shots is so small, the pressure from the earlier shots has not been released from the can yet. So it would depend on if fast semi fire has enough milliseconds between shots for the gasses to escape and not bulge the aluminum.
Old October 27, 2012, 04:38 AM   #3
Willie Lowman

Coat the baffles and inside of the tube with a little antiseize to help in dissassembly. Shoot it wet. Don't worry.

Don't forget to take it apart and clean it!
Old October 28, 2012, 03:38 PM   #4
Rob62

From what you say there should be no problem with using this suppressor.

Personally I shoot the Tactical Innovation Quest model and absolutely love it.

The Quest model is all stainless steel - and like the TAC65 can be taken apart by the user for cleaning. It only costs about $150 more than the TAC65.

Rob
Old October 29, 2012, 11:07 PM   #5
Knight2040

Thank you guys for the input. GTlefty I did not even think of it as a pressure release issue vs more of a heat issue so thank you.

Next problem...waiting 7 months