The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Firing Line Gun Show > Retail Deals and Feedback

Notices

Old September 30, 2010, 03:25 PM   #1
highplainsdrifter

J&G Sales

I read a closed thread here warning about dealings with J&G Sales. I live in Arizona, and lived in Prescott for many years. Many will know that is where J&G operates from. There were some negative posts about J&G, as well as many discounting the negatives and relating their own experiences. I have heard the stories from other friends who were employees at J&G, and I have no doubt that J&G is out for every dollar they can get. In my personal experience, they do strip the accessories from most things that come in and sell them separately. They can be somewhat ruthless and certainly their counter service leaves everything to be desired. On the other hand, they do middle-man a lot of old surplus stuff and police trade-ins that you would not find anywhere else locally. If you keep in mind that this is not your father's J&G from Turner Montana, and the modern one doesn't care if you ever return as a customer or not, you will do okay dealing with them. just observe the old warning, caveat emptor. In my humble opinion, it is a disservice to the readers here to attack the former employee who simply stated his own experiences. Because you have had good experiences does not mean his are not valid as well.
Old September 30, 2010, 04:51 PM   #2
rickyjames

i have purchase a few different guns from j&g along with some different kinds of ammo. i live in phoenix, sometimes i drive up to prescott, sometimes i buy from them at the gun show, i've also had them send me some ammo by ups. anything i have purchased has been worth the money to me. it seems to me tho that it is harder and harder to find bargins there.
Old October 1, 2010, 12:18 AM   #3
hnm3355

i have not been there personally but my oldest brother has done lots of business with them in the past and has always mention the lack of customer service, my gun dealer also tryes to stay away from them as much as posible.
Old October 1, 2010, 01:01 AM   #4
cbrgator

I bought a surplus rifle from them once. Had no problems with the transaction.
Old October 1, 2010, 08:32 AM   #5
mikejonestkd

bought a used smith 67 DAO from them and had no problems. Nice revolver, nice price, fast shipping.
Old October 1, 2010, 01:56 PM   #6
swiftak

I've bought alot of ammo and some guns from J&G, and never had any problems. I always got it in a timely manner and for what I thought was a good price. So what is the problem?
Old October 2, 2010, 11:44 PM   #7
teumessian_fox

Post #17.

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=266021

Quote:
Shoddy business practices.

I worked for J and G for 3 years. I was their warehouse man, gunsmith and sales person. The owners are very ruthless and are only concerned about money. The first thing Brad would do in the late morning when he got there was to go straight to the cash register and see how much money was taken in. He would walk right past us employees without even a good morning or greeting. I repaired and put out for sale many unsafe guns, which they would sometimes (and sometimes not) tag as "gunsmith specials" sold with no refund or waranty. When shipments came in, they would unscrupulously remove all the accessories (mags, slings, etc) normally supplied with the guns and sell them seperately. One of the worse things that they made me do there was when they took in a trade on a used Ladysmith Smith and Wesson, they instructed me to clean it up, and they put it out for sale as new. A lady purchased it a couple of days later unaware. I still regret that. Ive also cleaned up suicide guns of their dried blood and hair and put them out for sale unbeknownst to the buyer. They control their employees through fear. The so called manager Tom is a whole new ball of wax, I wont even get started about him. I could go on and on. Their bad news guys. Im not being spiteful, I just wanted to share some of my experiences.