The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Closed Thread

Old September 16, 2006, 04:55 PM   #1
pax

Good Guns for Small Hands (please read 1st post carefully!)

Hi all,

I am composing a list of guns which work well for small hands.

In this case, I define "small hands" as hands which easily fit within a ladies' small or medium glove. If your hands are bigger than that, they are not "small hands" for purposes of this question!

If you recommend a gun for the list, I'd like you to also answer the following.

Criteria:

1) Gun fit question (follow the link for pictures if my wording here doesn't make sense). Place the distal crease of your trigger finger on the face of the trigger. Do not pull the trigger back in any way, nor cock the gun (eg DA/SA guns are measured in DA mode). When you wrap the rest of your hand around the gun to attain a firing grip, does the gun's backstrap connect with your hand
a) somewhere along the thumb itself, or
b) at the base knuckle of the thumb, or
c) in the web of your hand
2) Gun fit question. Holding the gun as in Question #1, and with your wrist as straight as you can get it, you draw an imaginary line from the muzzle of the gun along the barrel. The line continues indefinitely. Does the line
a) run over your thumb, but no other part of your hand or arm, or
b) run sorta-kinda along your wrist for a short distance, or
c) run exactly parallel with your forearm
3) Gun type question. Is the gun a
a) SA revolver
b) DA revolver
c) DA or DA/SA semi auto
d) striker-fired semi auto
e) SA semi auto
4) Gun type question. Is the gun a
a) revolver
b) single stack
c) double stack
5) What caliber is the gun you measured?

6) In your subjective opinion, is the gun's recoil
a) mild (without gloves, you wouldn't mind shooting 100 consecutive rounds)
b) moderate (without gloves, about 50 rounds would be okay, maybe not more though), or
c) severe (without gloves, you'd rather not shoot more than 25 consecutive rounds).
7) Note grips & any alterations done to the gun (eg shortened trigger -- brand, grip type -- brand, grip reduction -- gunsmith name)

8) Your glove size is
a) Ladies' small
b) Ladies' medium
Thanks! I hope this will be a good resource thread for everyone, and I hope to learn some things.

pax
Old September 16, 2006, 05:11 PM   #2
skeeter1

Small hands

Hi pax--

I'm a male, 5'8", 160lbs, but I was blessed (if you can call it that) with small hands. Size 8 gloves fit me with room to spare.

That's why I like my S&W J-frames, and my Beretta 87 is about as big as I can handle. The rifles and shotguns aren't much of a problem, but they're on the small side as well.

I don't know is helpful to you, but it's just my two cents.

--skeeter1
Old September 16, 2006, 06:29 PM   #3
pax

Answering my own questions with some guns that just happened to be "on hand..."

Glock 26

1: c (perfect)
2: b (a tiny bit big for me)
3: d (Striker-fired semi auto)
4: c (doublestack)
5: 9mm
6: a (have frequently shot several hundred in an afternoon)
7: Extended slide stop lever -- way more comfy for my thumb, and less shifting of hand to reach it. Gun has an internal laser, the now-obsolete frame-installed CT laser.
8: ladies' medium

KelTec P32

1: c (with lots of room to spare)
2: c (lines up well with forearm)
3: c (DA semi auto)
4: b singlestack
5: .32 Auto (too small for defense, IMO, but others' opinions vary!)
6: b (slappy, but not too onerous; after 50 rounds it always needs cleaning anyway...!)
7: none

Comment: I had the KelTec P3AT for a brief while last spring. It fit my hand the same way as the P32. Chambered in .380 auto, the recoil was so snappy-slappy unpleasant that it took a severe effort of will to fire more than a couple of rounds. Yeowch.

Springfield Armory 1911-A1 (fullsize)

2: b/c (teensy tiny bit big)
3: e (SA semi auto)
4: b (singlestack)
5: .45 ACP
6: a (I've often put a couple hundred rounds downrange out of this one)
7: Crimson Trace lasergrips. Extended thumb safety. Short trigger. (Dunno brand names.)

Additional comment: I have to shift my hand around quite a bit to manipulate the slide stop lever, but I can ride the safety if I want to.

Springfield Armory XD9 SubCompact

2: c (perfect) (it pained me to write that ... when my beloved G26 didn't quite measure up!)
3: d (Striker-fired semi auto)
5: 9mm
6: a (can and have sent a lot of rounds downrange at one sitting)
7: bone stock
8: still ladies' medium

pax
Old September 16, 2006, 07:17 PM   #4
deanadell

My wifes hands fit these criteria.

She shoots an NEF Lady Ultra, 5-shot DA revolver in .32 H&R Magnum
Old September 16, 2006, 07:36 PM   #5
pax

deanadell ~

How does she find the recoil? Mild, medium, or harsh? (The one thing you can't check standing at the counter in the gun store...)

pax
Old September 17, 2006, 07:39 AM   #6
Swamp Yankee

Some food for thought,

As an NRA Pistol Instructor I've had the opportunity to observe many different women, (and men), wih smaller hands grip and fire several different handguns. The biggest issue for most is not the grip, length of trigger pull, etc, it is accessing and operating the controls on a semi auto. Most have a very difficult time operating the slide release, safety / decocker, and mag release.
For this reason they, (small hands), tend to be most comfortable with a small frame double action revolver. Most of my lady students really like my Colt Cobra. As to semi auto they seem to prefer the Glock 19 I use in the course, however many still struggle with the slide release and find sling shotting the first round in much easier.
These are pretty much general observations. If a particular student wants to shoot a particular handgun that may not be ideal, I simply tell them to practice, practice, practice. They should be able to develop their own safe, but usually somewhat unorthodox techniques.

Take Care
Old September 17, 2006, 08:35 PM   #7
deanadell

pax,

my wife suffers from rheumatoid (sp?) arthritis, so has additional limitations aside from handsize. I tried her out with a .38 snubbie, with rubber grips...her wrists couldn;t handle even the milder wadcutter rounds. I've tried her out on numerous small caliber autos....limp-wrists them and stovepipes the empties on everthing except my Ruger Mark I, which I guess is heavy enough on it's own to overcome that problem.

Bought the NEF back before they started calling it the "Lady Ultra". Loaded with .32 S&W Long ammo she controls it well, usually being able to put all 5 rounds in the center of the target at 10 yards in about a 4 inch group.....pretty respectable for a 2" barrel in a cheap revolver.

Being a big bore fan myself, nothing I would want to get into a gunfight with but for a nightstand gun, she is very comfprtable and confident with it, which in my opinion is over half the battle won.

Have no idea what these retail for now. I bought hers about 12 years ago for about $135.00 brand new.

Interestingly enough, one other revolver she likes to shoot is an old S&W British Service Revolver in my collection. I believe these were "K" frames. grips are very small on these old smiths.
Old September 17, 2006, 08:54 PM   #8
chris in va

My friend wears a medium ladies glove. The P11 fits her pretty well, although I can't verify all the criteria listed. She also enjoys shooting my full size CZ 75, but that fits my hand better.
Old September 18, 2006, 10:52 AM   #9
gb_in_ga

Quote:
my wife suffers from rheumatoid (sp?) arthritis, so has additional limitations aside from handsize.
SWMBO also suffers from RA (BTW -- you spelled it right), and has smallish hands. She finally settled on a 4" S&W 15-2 (a DA revolver in .38 Spl, of course) that came with fairly slender aftermarket rubber grips, don't know what brand. Other than the grips, it is stock. The extra mass of the K Frame helps with the recoil (as opposed to a J Frame snub), and I reload her normal practice ammo -- light wadcutters. FWIW -- due to her arthritis, she just isn't able to operate autoloaders. She can't operate the slide, even given the "tricks", and she really can't load the rounds into the magazines -- not a problem with the wheelgun.

One nice thing about K Frames: There is a whole lot of aftermarket stuff for them including grips. If you don't like the fit, you can change it pretty easily.

Pax:
Unfortunately, she isn't here right now so I can't give any more specifics about the details of the fit and such. Let's just say that it fits her well and she likes it. About the recoil comfort level and round count: She really isn't comfortable shooting 100 rounds of anything because of her RA, even .22 lr. But, she is able to control the .38 Spl even when shooting +P SD ammo, at least for a cylinder or 2, and can shoot about a box of the light practice loads without flinching before getting tired. And that is about all that can be asked for given the medical situation.

Also FWIW -- she doesn't have any problem shooting our stock S&W 422, with the exception that I have to load the rounds in the magazine. Since it is a .22 lr, the main action spring is light enough so that she can even work the slide. Along with the model 15, it has become "her gun".
Old September 18, 2006, 11:15 AM   #10
pax

Okay, thanks guys.

I'm trying for data as objective as possible, from as many people as possible. Not having a lot of luck really.

gb, deanadell, would either or both you guys be willing to tell me your perception of the relative recoil of your wife's gun? It's the one thing that can't be checked while standing at the counter in the gun store; since your wives don't have "normal" pain perception, it'd be helpful if someone who did gave some feedback on relative recoil. Thanks.

Don't need to be female to answer the questions above, BTW. If your hands fit inside a ladies' medium garden glove (even if you'd never be caught dead wearing one!), you qualify.

Basically, I'm hoping to hear from people who are willing to take the "as objective as possible" standard above and give us some real data. I weary of being told (for example) that ___ is "good for small hands" when I don't know the poster's hand size (body size does not tell hand size!), and when the poster doesn't necessarily explain whether he is speaking from personal experience, observed experience, or simply heard it on the internet somewhere.

Worse, some of the "good for small hands" guns I have seen listed on various websites and discussion boards are, in my experience, lousy for the small handed people I have seen shooting them, and don't fit my hands well either. But I am only one person, a rather opinionated person at that, and I am by no means the measure of all small hands in the world (mine are medium-small rather than small-small, and it makes a difference; furthermore, I have more flexible tendons than most and that makes a difference too.)

Nevertheless, I don't know how some guns get on anyone's "good for small hands" list. It is entirely possible that they are out there simply because someone's wife (with big hands for a woman maybe even?) managed to shoot one well, and thus the gun becomes "a good girl gun" to that guy & his buddies, and girl hands = small hands in most minds, so whenever someone asks that guy or his buddies for small hand recommendations that gun is named, and if it's named online it is easily copied from one list to another, by people who don't have small hands themselves or who don't know how to check gun fit and who assumes the first guy knew what he was talking about. Or maybe I'm just all wet, I don't know. I've been wrong before, and probably will be again. Which is why I started this thread.

So.

I'd sure like some data to work with ...

pax
Old September 18, 2006, 12:01 PM   #11
rellascout

I have smaller hands and will try to give you some feed back in the format you have asked for.

Sig P225 Compact Semi Auto

1: c Single Stack fits like a 1911.
2: C Straight line from the arm
3: c DA/SA Semi Auto
5: .9mm
6: a Mild I can shoot all day long with this pistol
7: Short trigger is installed and makes the DA pull reach better. If you use the standard trigger the weapon the gun moves to the base knuckle of the thumb
8: men's small

Additional comment: I can reach all the control except the slide stop which I have to tilt the weapon a little bit to reach but more often then not I sling shot the slide.

CZ Compact/PCR/P01 Compact Semi Auto

1: c Double Stack A little thicker in the grip.
3: c DA/SA Semi Auto (Compact can be carried cocked and locked)
4: c (Double Stack)
7: No modification what so ever is needed. This gun has one of the shortest length of pulls of any of my semi-autos.

Additional comment: I can reach all the control except the slide stop which I have to tilt the weapon a little bit to reach but more often then not I sling shot the slide. Slide on this gun is slim so large hands have a harder time slingshotting the slide but I have no issues.

My favorite 9mm setup

Browning Hi-Power 9mm Semi Auto

1: c Single Stack fits like a 1911.
3: e SA Semi Auto
7: I have made several modification but the stock pistol does not change its usefulness for small hands. I have a wide trigger on it, extended safety, sear and slide set from C&S.

Additional comment: I can reach everything. It is right where it need to be. This guns has a very short reach due to its SA trigger.

Dan Wesson CBOB Commander Sized 1911

1: c (perfect) Bobtail helps feel in the hand
2: c
3: e (SA semi auto)
5: .45 ACP
6: a (I've often put a couple hundred rounds downrange out of this one)
7: None. Super crips trigger not too large but heavy so it absorbs recoil and its a great shooter. This is my favorite .45 lots of premium parts and custom features ina sub $800 gun.

Additional comment:The safety is right where is should be. It comes stock with and extended safety and I can even reach the slide stop but as I have already noted I sling shot more than I use it.

Sig P220 Full Sized Semi Auto

1: c Single Stack
2: C/b Straight line from the arm slightly tilted
3: c DA/SA Semi Auto
5: .45ACP
7: Short trigger is installed and makes the DA pull reach better. If you use the standard trigger the weapon the gun moves to the base knuckle of the thumb

Additional comment: I can reach all the control except the slide stop which I have to tilt the weapon a little bit to reach but more often then not I sling shot the slide.

All of these are pistols that I have extensive use with. I have smaller hands and find that I can shoot almost anything but that these guns fit and point naturally for me.

As a side note most Sigs can be set up for smaller hands by purchasing a short trigger. This makes a P228/P229/P226 a viable setup for your criteria.
Old September 18, 2006, 12:05 PM   #12
pax

rellascout ~

Thanks!

pax
Old September 18, 2006, 12:10 PM   #13
rellascout

No problem.

I would also add the P228 to the list. It sets up a lot like the P225 but is a little thicker because it is a double stack. But like I said a short trigger can really make a difference in DA mode. In sa the gun is slick.

The thing I notice more often than not is that I can shoot almost any gun in SA but the DA pull on stock Sigs/cz75b/HK/Ruger/92fs all require me to change my grip angle so I can get enough finger on the trigger. This then causes me to choose between tilting the gun or too little finger on the DA shot.
Old September 18, 2006, 12:23 PM   #14
Pointer

My little sister has extremely small hands...

She likes her G26...

My daughter has larger and very arthritic hands...

She like her G27

I have smallish hands, for a man... But I have long skinny fingers...

I like my G27 and I cannot get it back from my daughter...

I also like the Kimber 1911 Ultra...

30-06 FOREVER
Old September 18, 2006, 12:52 PM   #15
gb_in_ga

Quote:
gb, deanadell, would either or both you guys be willing to tell me your perception of the relative recoil of your wife's gun? It's the one thing that can't be checked while standing at the counter in the gun store; since your wives don't have "normal" pain perception, it'd be helpful if someone who did gave some feedback on relative recoil. Thanks.
Sure -- No Problem!

I like shooting her model 15, well, except that if it were mine I'd change those grips for something meatier (I've got pretty large hands), unless of course I were going to be CCW'ing it. Those slim grips conceal well for me IWB.

About my perception of the relative recoil of the gun: First thing to keep in mind with a .38 Spl is that it all depends on what you are feeding it. You have a wide selection of ammo choices of varying intensities available for it, especially if you reload (which I do). I don't shoot all that much of her lighter wadcutter loads, but what I have shot of them (while working up the load) -- well, they are more intense (if "intense" is even a word that applies to .38 Spl WCs!) than shooting a full size .22 lr, but in the same ballpark from a "pleasantness" standpoint. There is more recoil, but since it is a fairly heavy bullet (148 gr) at low velocity (less than 700 fps) it comes across as just a "push" -- not snappy at all, little muzzle rise, and not at all unpleasant. I could shoot them all day long, no problem. This is essentially what the bullseye shooters shoot. From what she tells me, the "push" is not as painful to her as the more "snappy" recoil of other rounds, given her RA. Apparently, it doesn't jar the inflamed joints nearly as bad. Oh -- and one other thing about that model 15 with the light wadcutters: that dude is a TACK DRIVER! Then again, I haven't found any loads for it that DON'T shoot well...

I usually shoot my "normal" practice .38 Spl load through SWMBO's model 15 -- the same "low intensity" (for me) practice fodder that I usually shoot through my 4" S&W 686. And that is a "factory duplication" standard pressure 158 gr LSWC. That load has more perceived recoil than the light wadcutters, and there is more muzzle rise -- even then it is, to me, a creampuff. But, since this is a somewhat lighter revolver than the L Frame 686, it has more perceived recoil than the same ammo through the somewhat heavier magnum revolver. Still not bad at all, I could shoot it all day long with that load (and have done so), no problem. Accuracy is outstanding.

Now, when we are talking about +P SD/HD loads, the perceived recoil goes up some more, and at the same time becomes more "snappy" with increased muzzle flip. Again, the same loads seem milder and have less muzzle flip through my 686 than with her 15, but that is to be expected since the 686 is heavier and has the full length lug. As a data point, a 125 gr +P JHP through her 15 (which is what hers is loaded with for SD/HD) does not recoil anywhere near as much as a full strength 158 gr JHP .357 Magnum in my 686. Even so, that .38 +P load gets a little lively when you take it in the context of her RA. But, it is still a "pleasant" load for me to shoot, about like shooting standard 9mm hardball range fodder through a full size autoloader. To me, it seems like a "standard service load", from roughly similar to down to noticeably less than any of the other popular service gun combos out there from a recoil standpoint. This is especially so given the advent of and popularity of polymer frame autos vs this steel frame revolver. I wouldn't have any problem shooting that round/gun combination all afternoon. FWIW, I have had SWMBO shoot a few rounds of those full strength Magnum loads through my 686 just for familiarization. Not to be "macho" or mean or anything, but so that she knows what to expect if she has to use that gun in a "social situation" since it is my bedside gun. She handled it, but didn't like it, about what I expected. This is why I advised her to not bother getting a .357 Magnum back when we were looking, since she wasn't going to be loading her gun with magnum loads anyway -- just too intense for her to practice with. At least she can practice a little with the .38 Spl +Ps without it hurting her too bad. I figure that in a "social situation" the last thing she is going to be worried about is the recoil which is why she mainly practices with the lighter ammo.
Old September 18, 2006, 01:32 PM   #16
Mikeyboy

Pax...My wife has somewhat small hands (sorry I don't know her glove size) and is recoil sensitive and so far likes to shoot my KT P-32, she would rate it an A border line B. Good one on the 50 round cleaning comment, I love the little gun , but it is fincky. She loves the feel of my S&W J frame snubbies but hates the recoil, even with my heavy all steel model 60 shooting Federal low recoil rounds. The Beretta M9 and my Taurus PT-92 is just too big for her hands, and she dislikes the recoil, but she likes shooting our Beretta Cheetah, a smaller single stack version (there are thicker double stack models) of the M9 that shoots .380. It fits her hands well and while it still has some pop, she is OK with.She would rank it a low B. She love the Cheetah, but hates the first DA pull (she been cocking the hammer back with her thumb to avoid it) , and I'm concern about the manual safety if she needed it in a defensive situation.

I am still hunting for the perfect pistol for her. The things you said about the Glock 26 and XD compact seem promising.
Old September 18, 2006, 01:48 PM   #17
KingofAttendance
Registration in progress

I have really small hands so I try to stay away from anything double stack, and SA is a hell of a lot easier for me to shoot. I stick with 1911's and sigs for the most part.
Old September 19, 2006, 06:42 AM   #18
pfgrone

pax,
my wife is sleeping so I'm not going to wake her up to measure anything, besides, her Kahr P9 is on the night stand and I don't want to startle her.

If it helps, she is small, 100 lbs, 5'1", petite, size 2, small hands. When she wanted a pistol, we shopped at several gun shops where she tried several handguns for "fit". She liked the way the Kahr P9 felt so she rented one at a range and shot a box of range ammo thru it. Recoil was acceptable to her. Then she bought one about a year ago. She has no complaints about her 9mm Kahr P9.

Hope this helps a little. She carries in a Galco Meridian purse.
Paul
ps the G26 was too large for her hands.

Last edited by pfgrone; September 19, 2006 at 06:44 AM. Reason: added ps
Old September 20, 2006, 03:50 AM   #19
guntotin_fool

Pax. My wife is taller, but very slim and shoots a 45 commander, She wears a medium glove(W) but they tend to be baggy as she would fit into a small but her fingers are a tad long.

This summer, I had the pleasure of having 3 Taiwanese girls staying with us and with my parents. I took all three shooting, I have pics but they are on the other puter will try to post them later, all three tried: A hi power, a model 39 smith, (single stack full size 9), a commander, A model 13 S&W, a 36 2 inch, a 36-6 3 inch adjustable sight, a P22 , a mkI Ruger, and a M99 walther. The Hi-power won out, of the centerfires, and the MkI was preferred over the p22,

The 36-6 was the favored revolver, as they could hit better with it and it had nice rubber grips on it.

The 13 had over size "target" grips on it, and that was too big. When fitted with standard S&W grips they felt it was ok.

The Commander was nice, but they did not like the kick,

The P99 had too long a finger stroke and they did not have the finger strength either.

The Chiefs was too small and the sights too small. They much preferred the kit gun size of the 36-6

The P22 surprised me, they did not like it, said it was too light, waved around too much

The model 39 was a close second. it was actually perceived to be a bigger grip frame than the Hi-Power and thus not liked as much, also the alloy frame allowed snappier recoil than the Hi-power.

All three of them loved the hi-power, I was using mild 9mm reloads with lead bullets and they liked the grip, the weight soaking up recoil and the sights. Mine has three dot novaks. When i loaded some talons for the last mag each, they commented that it was snappier, but not painful. All three fired a box or more of 50 rounds with the hi-power. That night none of the three complained about soreness.

All three were under a 100 pounds, all three where about 5 2 or less, and all three were decidedly "girlly" meaning that they were not overly in to athletics or the like, and would fit into the complete novices category.

I did not include my daughter as even though she is bigger now, as a 5 foot 100 pound 12 year old her favorite two guns were the 4 5/8 inch BH in 45 colt and the P13 45 paraord.

I have found that many women even though they have smaller hands have a seemingly longer reach from the web of the hand to the trigger finger because they have less padding internally. My hands are only very slightly longer overall than my wife's, but she has much more trigger coverage than I do because my hand has more muscle in it and therefore more pushing my fingers back away from the trigger.

They did not like any handgun that forced them to fire double action all the time, the really liked the 4 pound trigger on the hi-power that had a C&S trigger job in it.
Old September 21, 2006, 11:51 AM   #20
ghideon

Recently bought a handgun for my girl. Can't give you any objective data (sorry), but I can tell you what she liked. We looked mostly at single stack 9mms, since she really didn't like shooting my double stack 9s (Berettas). Her glove size is small.

SIG P239 - We ended up buying this. Very good fit, and due to the weight of the gun very mild recoil. I've put about 300 rounds through this gun myself and cannot say enough good things about it. The only thing I do not like is the location of the slide stop. It's the last control towards the rear of the gun, making it hard to use.

Lady Smith - This fit her her the best. It was very close between this and the SIG P239.

9mm 1911 - She really liked the grip, but felt the gun would be too heavy.

Walther P99 - Liked the grip on this as well, but we didn't shoot this one.

Springfield XD 9mm sub compact - Liked the grip, but the recoil was too harsh for her. Combination of short barrel and polymer gun. I didn't even like the recoil on this one.

Beretta PX4 - A double stack, but the grip fit her much better than my 92FS and Elite II.
Old September 22, 2006, 04:40 PM   #21
DeathRodent

Hi Pax;

SO far these are the 4 that fit my wifes small hands (5'3", 110 lbs, size 0,1)

S&W J frame (airweight model 38 bodyguard) with pachmeyer 3 finger rubber grips (not boot grips) this little airweight recoils enough and she wants a firm full hand grip.

Colt Gov't .380 (her favorite, since she picked it out herself even tho all the men said don't go single action ) BTW, she has small hands but also has less strength (maybe) in her fingers? She prefers the single action trigger over the double action because it is easier and has less travel - something to think of that myself and the other men never considerred.

Sig P239 - the single stack magaznie gives this a much smaller grip - she still thinks the gun is "too heavy" tho. And the trigger is getting to the far edge of her reach - which is why she likes the single action trigger the best. This has the finger grove rubber aftermarket grips on it.

Kahr's we don't own one but when handling at the gunshow she really liked the grip - not as happy with the longer double action trigger.

Hope this helps.
Old September 23, 2006, 12:32 AM   #22
Gazpacho

Hey Pax,

I wear a medium men's golf glove, and my wife's hands are significantly smaller than mine, so her hands are probably in that range you request. Out of all the guns she has ever fired, the Kahr P9 was her favorite. Fit was perfect, including the trigger reach. Recoil was mild, as she would routinely fire 100 rounds per range session. Slide pull was difficult for her (a consideration you should include), but managable. Accuracy was excellent. Unfortunately, she hates Moonies, so we eventually sold the gun.

The SIG 232 also fit her hands well. Slide pull was unmanagable. DA trigger pull was unmanagable. Recoil was severe. Accuracy was excellent. We didn't own the gun.

RIA 1911 GM. Fit good with short trigger. Trigger pull excellent. Slide pull moderate and very managable. Weight was heavy. Recoil with WWB 230gr ball was moderate. Accuracy was good.

Walther (Manuhrin) PP 32acp. Excellent fit. Excellent weight. DA trigger pull impossible. slide pull moderate and managable. Recoil with 73gr Sellier & Bellot was mild. Accuracy was very good.

Ruger Blackhawk, 45 Colt 4.5" barrel. Good fit. Weight heavy. Trigger pull excellent. Recoil with Winchester cowboy loads was above moderate. Accuracy was okay.

On her CCW, she has 3 revolvers and 3 P32s.

Ruger SP101 357 w/ hogue grips. Excellent fit. Weighs a bit much, but managable. DA trigger heavy but managable. Only shoots 38 special. Recoil with 124gr Speer GD +P Severe. Recoil with standard pressure 158gr LSWCHP moderate. Recoil with Federal 110gr PD mild. Accuracy was good.

Taurus 85 38sp w/ wood Excaliber boot grip. Good Fit (grip a little small) Weight good. DA trigger good. Recoil with 124gr Speer GD +P Severe. Recoil with standard pressure 158gr LSWCHP severe. Recoil with Federal 110gr PD Moderate. Accuracy was good.

Taurus 85o 38sp w/ wood Excaliber full grip. Excellent fit. Weight good. Trigger good plus. Recoil with 124gr Speer GD +P very Severe. Recoil with standard pressure 158gr LSWCHP above moderate. Recoil with Federal 110gr PD above mild. Accuracy was good.

P32. Good fit (grip a little small). Weight a little light. Slide effort moderate and very managable. Trigger heavy but managable. Recoil with 73gr Sellier & Bellot moderate. Accuracy was excellent.

Hope this helps.
Old September 25, 2006, 11:11 PM   #23
Marcus

It took me a little while to get my wife to sit down and help out with this but we got it done with some interesting results. Hope it helps. Marcus

A) NAA Mini .22mag.
1) d? To the right of the web at the base of the index finger.
2) c
3) a
4) a
5) .22 magum rimfire
6) c, believe it or not
7) factory tiny birdhead grips
8) a
Notes: Made her giggle,until she shot it.

B) Colt Government .380 PocketLite
1) c
2) b/c , c with the factory grips but just a little toward b with thicker stocks
3) e
4) b
5) .380 ACP
6) b
7) sim mother of pearl engraved Hello Kitty grips
8) a
Note: Her favorite. The controls fall easily to hand for her and she shoots it really well.

C) Kahr P-40
1) b, not real bad
2) b
3) d
4) b
5) .40 S&W
6) c
7) na
8) a
Notes: She liked the feel and fit in her hand as well as the short,smooth DAO trigger. The sharp recoil and muzzle flip eliminate it as a serious choice for her.

D) CZ-75B
1) b
2) b
3) c
4) c
5) 9mm
6) a
7) Hogue cocobolo grips,very slim
8) a
Notes: Felt a little big to her. Suprisingly the rather long DA pull didn`t bother her.

E) S&W 28
1) a
2) a
3) b
4) a
5) .357 magnum
6) b/c depending on the load
7) Miculek pau ferro wood competition grips with open backstrap
8) a
Notes: Didn`t like it at all. Too heavy,too big,too awkward. Had a hard time with the DA pull.

F) Auto Mag Model 180 (just for fun)
1) a
2) a
3) e
4) b
5) .44 AMP
6) c
7) Eagle checkered rosewood grips
8) a
Notes: The trigger reach didn`t work for her at all,it turned it so far in her hand it was practically pointed sideways. FWIW I wear a mens large or x large glove and I can`t comfortably engage the trigger with the distal crease of my trigger finger. I use the pad. In contrast the grip was very managable for her. She`s never actually shot this one but she wouldn`t care for it.
Old October 1, 2006, 05:47 PM   #24
nero

I'm 5'9", have small hands/short fingers and after 20+ years of buying, selling, and shooting handguns, I've found that these fit my small hands well:

S&W J-Frames revolvers
Colt D-Frames revolvers
SIG P225
SIG P220 9mm
S&W 3906
Browning Hi-Power
Steyr M9
1911A1
Colt 1903/1908 Hammerless
Walther PP/PPK

nero
Old March 15, 2008, 10:09 PM   #25
glordburton

Replying long but please.. take time.. ty pax

So I have contacted Pax (from this forum: she is GREAT!!!) and many other forums... I have really small palms and normal trigger finger length....
Before I begin this: in looking for a gun I set 3 criteria:
1. FITS MY HAND: listed what I wanted and what I would settle for.
2. I WILL CARRY (because what is the best gun you can have...the one that you have when you need it.)I like to carry in the small of my back.
3. ONE TO SHOT IN THE IDPA (my husband is a member: who better to have my back, thus who better to have his?)
With that said I will indicate the # 1 #2 or #3 the gun that I tried I will () (#1, #2, &/or #3-if they DON’T MEET THIS CRITERIA:
• I have been carrying a S&W .38 +P revolver Ultra-lite sub nose.... The SIZE was GREAT...the FIT was okay (#1) (still hit my knuckle of my thumb-{this is my husband's pocket rocket}) and the RECOIL was CORRECTABLE (#3) (but and forget the +P) to a certain extent. With that said before I bought my Love I shot a Walther P99... very smooth.. still big... (#1) and a random single stack .45..not so bad recoil and decent with the grip (still couldn't reach everything) (#1 & #2)
• So I went to my local gun shop the first one was not every lady friendly(went with my husband)... the 2nd was much better (i went alone) I went in with my list (of 7) they had 4 of them.
• I tried the S&W M&P with the interchangeable grips I loved the small (the guy was not thrilled with changing it but YOU ARE BUYING AN EXPENSIVE ITEM!!! You are not a king but come on...) (#2 GRIP SAFETY)
• I also tried a Taurus 1911, single stack .45- WAY TOO HEAVY (#2)
• I just feel in love with the Springfield XD9 Subcompact.... I just want you small handed folks to know though I just bought the last one in a 2 county area in north Georgia. None of the distributors know when they will get anymore.... sorry. NOW.... Oh my Gosh....this gun... after a 100 rounds 1st my hand didn't hurt 2nd my aim was right on 3rd heavy enough to carry the recoil (along with the double spring) I am in LOVE!!!
I know this is forum is old and I know this entry is long but if any of you have any questions (ladies I am tried and true about the gentlemen the sell guns to gentlemen. We must know what we are talking about to be heard.) Contact me here if you have more questions.
Thank you for your knowledge and I hope I can help ~G
Closed Thread