The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old December 30, 1999, 01:53 PM   #1
Joe Portale

I was chewing the fat at a gun shop today when the topic of .357 sigs came up. I was saying that I get a kick out of the round, but wasn't sure if I really wanted a $600 fire-breathing dragon on a whim. The owner said, "Why not just buy a conversion barrel for your Beretta 92/96 and goof around with that." Mustering the best of my intelect and answered "HUH?" We looked it up and it sure was cheap enough, but none of the guys at the shop could tell me a bunch about this idea.

There a couple of questions that need answering before I take the plunge.

1)Is there anything that I would need to be aware of if I did this, warning or dangers.

2)Will the .40 cal mags work for the .357 sig, or do they need to be modified in some way?

3)What weight recoil spring would be required to work with this conversion barrel?

Sorry if this post got a little verbose, but I had too much coffee today.

Joe P.
Old December 31, 1999, 06:53 AM   #2
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Joe, I haven't fooled with the .357 Sig yet but the barrels I've seen are supposedly drop in. May require a little fitting but that goes without saying. The way I understand it is that the round will work in the .40 mags without alteration. And the stock spring should work as well. That may vary pistol to pistol and will be a matter of experimentation. George