The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old February 23, 2013, 01:57 PM   #1
dlb435

PBS Gun Violence Week

This week PBS has aired a series of shows about gun violence. I have to say I was very surprised about how they approached the topic. I was expecting a gun bashing show and didn't get it. Instead they focused on the social problems, mental health issues and the lack of any true understanding of the roots of gun violence. Like many good TV shows it raised far more questions than it answered. It even pointed out that military style guns were not the big problem.
Much of the show was centered around the Detroit area. Detroit has an almost complete gun ban but is still rated an the muder capital of the US. While they made no judgements about the gun ban, they did point out how useless it has been.
This was not a single show but a series of shows from different PBS producers. Try to watch if they do reruns in your area.

Last edited by dlb435; February 23, 2013 at 02:17 PM.
Old February 23, 2013, 02:39 PM   #2
Rembrandt

Watched them....crafty technique of demonizing guns. First they try to educate the viewer with historical background, then they cut to an emotional theme by talking about the increased "deaths" the gun brought. This goes back and forth.....history-then-death.....history-then-death. Viewer is left with the implication that guns equal death. No pro gun message here.
Old February 23, 2013, 03:45 PM   #3
David13

Very subtle propaganda. That's the most sinister kind.
dc
Old February 23, 2013, 06:15 PM   #4
jtmckinney

I didn't watch everything but enough that I agree with David and Rembrandt. I am sure they are trying to show some "Common Sense" on this issue the way they see it.

I used to respect David Brooks and his opinion but that was on matters concerning the economy and other political issues, but no more.

I still watch some PBS news programming but they are not friends of the 2nd Ammendment.

Have a great day!
James
When I am weaker than you, I ask you for freedom because that is according to your principles; When I am stronger than you, I take away your freedoms because that is according to my principles. Frank Herbert "Children of Dune"
Old February 23, 2013, 07:05 PM   #5
chris in va

Quote:
Detroit has an almost complete gun ban but is still rated an the muder capital of the US
Sure about that? I think you mean Chicago. Detroit appears rather relaxed.
Old February 24, 2013, 08:17 AM   #6
dlb435

Sorry, I did mean Chicago. I have trouble with anything north of I-10.
As for propaganda, I didn't see it as a proplem but the great thing about this country is that we all get to form our own oppion.
Old February 24, 2013, 08:55 AM   #7
ScottRiqui

Quote:
Sure about that? I think you mean Chicago. Detroit appears rather relaxed.
It depends on whether you're just talking about the numbers of murders each year, or the murder rate (annual murders per 100,000 population).

Chicago may have the most total murders, but as far as murder rate goes, it's not even in the top fifteen.
Old February 24, 2013, 09:21 AM   #8
chiefr

"Watched them....crafty technique of demonizing guns. First they try to educate the viewer with historical background, then they cut to an emotional theme by talking about the increased "deaths" the gun brought. This goes back and forth.....history-then-death.....history-then-death. Viewer is left with the implication that guns equal death. No pro gun message here.
Yesterday 02:57 PM"

Well said; Concur entirely. I for one never trust main stream media.