The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old January 7, 2010, 03:01 PM   #1
madcratebuilder

My Holy Grail Enfield

Been watching and waiting, this morning it paid off.

Isn't NEW a nice word.

Right in the middle of the Irish contract.
Old January 7, 2010, 04:16 PM   #2
p99guy

Congrats on that one! I managed to get one of its brothers(early in same contract) from a guy that purchased/unwrapped/cleaned/put it in the gun safe and never did anything with it for 8 years. Its nice to have a new Enfield to go with my more seasoned old soldiers. Your going to really like it.
Old January 9, 2010, 10:05 PM   #3
kilimanjaro

Nice purchase. I've got PF339,865 here, along with another one still in the wrap. Hope you didn't pay too much.
Old January 10, 2010, 02:59 AM   #4
gyvel

I would think the Holy Grail Lee-Enfield woud be a No. 1 Mk VI...
Old January 10, 2010, 08:30 AM   #5
madcratebuilder

Quote:
Nice purchase. I've got PF339,865 here, along with another one still in the wrap. Hope you didn't pay too much.
I passed on the $1200 ones I saw. I've been watching these for about two years and the prices have gone completely nuts. These were $90 bucks in the early 1990's when they came in country. 500+% increase in twenty years.

Have you looked at Gunbroker lately? If you think Gunbroker is high, go over to Gunsamerica, absolutely insane! Some dillrod had a Savage with an odd cheek rest and repro pads and was calling it a very rare 'sniper' version for a mere $1295. It's the only Savage made sniper on the planet. I saw some Santa Fe sporters listed at $600-700 bucks, soiled my underwear I did.

Quote:
I would think the Holy Grail Lee-Enfield woud be a No. 1 Mk VI...
I've been attending the Holy Church of the No4 these past few years. I may attend the Holy Church of the No1 some day. I hear they have an excellent sermon.
Old January 12, 2010, 01:02 AM   #6
kilimanjaro

I paid $150 each for my two examples, knew it was going to appreciate a goodly amount. Also knew I should buy 10, but no money for that, oh well.

The M44 Mosin-Nagant carbines are the bargain now, they'll do nicely in the future. At least that's my belief.
Old January 12, 2010, 01:27 AM   #7
Tikirocker

Quote:
I've been attending the Holy Church of the No4 these past few years. I may attend the Holy Church of the No1 some day. I hear they have an excellent sermon.

No mate, you don't get it ... Gyvel mentioned the No1 MKVI because the No1 MKVI isn't a standard No1 rifle, in fact it isn't really a No1 at all. The No1 MKVI is the original trials version of the No4 Mk1, made around 1930 ... these truly are the Holy Grail of No4's.

Quote:
It's the only Savage made sniper on the planet.
Actually that is not correct mate, Peter Laidler himself will tell you that there were indeed early Savage No4 Mk1(T) conversions ... no Mk1* No4T's however. The seller may well have been correct.

Congrats on your rifle by the way.

Tiki.

Last edited by Tikirocker; January 12, 2010 at 01:35 AM.
Old January 12, 2010, 08:40 AM   #8
madcratebuilder

Quote:
No mate, you don't get it ... Gyvel mentioned the No1 MKVI because the No1 MKVI isn't a standard No1 rifle, in fact it isn't really a No1 at all. The No1 MKVI is the original trials version of the No4 Mk1, made around 1930 ... these truly are the Holy Grail of No4's.
I got it, I just can't afford it. Do you know how many were made and how many survived?

Quote:
Actually that is not correct mate, Peter Laidler himself will tell you that there were indeed early Savage No4 Mk1(T) conversions ... no Mk1* No4T's however. The seller may well have been correct.
That's an interesting bit of info. That made me dig my books out. I found reference in Stratton's book that a "handful of Savage made No4 Mk1* were converted to (T) models" Also mention of the No4 Mk1/2(T) and No4 Mk1/3(T)

Last edited by madcratebuilder; January 12, 2010 at 08:45 AM.
Old January 12, 2010, 09:42 AM   #9
Tikirocker

Quote:
Do you know how many were made and how many survived?
No idea how many survive today, but there were only about 1000 made with the designation No1 MKVI ... all subsequent trials rifles were designated No4 Mk1 after that initial batch. Suffice to say they are a rare breed indeed ... I have seen only one come through the Enfield forum at surplus in my time there.

Quote:
That made me dig my books out. I found reference in Stratton's book that a "handful of Savage made No4 Mk1* were converted to (T) models"
The Savage T models were early No4 Mk1 and not Mk1* ( Skip is wrong here, it happens ) ... this is direct from Cpt Peter Laidler - he states that any Savage No4 Mk1* T must be viewed with a jaundiced eye. This is because once the Mk1* rifles came into being, the U.S Lend Lease program had begun and these rifles were U.S property and NOT British property.

Therefore the conversion of the Mk1* was not possible due to lend lease and the contractual arrangements that came with it; namely those that touched on the issue of standards and inspection. Bottom line, when manufactured, the Mk1* rifles did not get the British standard of inspection as with the Savage No4 Mk1 ... this was another reason they were not considered for conversion by the MOD or Holland & Holland.

See you back in the snake pit.

Best, Tiki.

Last edited by Tikirocker; January 12, 2010 at 09:47 AM.
Old January 12, 2010, 09:12 PM   #10
madcratebuilder

OK, does that mean the No4 Mk1 is not stamped US PROPERTY? I'll see if I can find a photo. Just when you think you know something about these rifles you discover that you don't know.

UPS well drop my mystery rifle tomorrow, I have my fingers crossed.