The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 13, 2007, 01:10 PM   #1
northjdr

Reloading for 308 AR

Recently acquired a DPMS 308LR AR(24" barrel) and I am new to reloading. So far I have only reloaded for a single shot .308 and a bolt .223. I have read the thread that discusses crimping vs. non-crimping and the importance of having enough neck tension. Are there any other threads or articles that are on this subject that you could point me to. I want to develop a good whitetail load as well as an accurate target load and have a number of bullets in inventory (Nosler BT 125, Nosler BT 150, Sierra Game King 165 HPBT and Hornady 150 SP) Only the Hornady's have a canalure. I don't want to start a long debate, I'm just interested in not making any huge mistakes.
Old February 13, 2007, 01:21 PM   #2
hodaka

I had one of those for a couple of years. Mine really liked 168 SMK's with 41 grains of IMR 4064. Mag length, no crimp. Federal match primers with Winchester brass. I have some targets I saved with ragged one hole 5 shot groups, about the size of a 1/2 dollar, at 200yds. Usually the groups were just over an inch at 200 with that load. Really nice rifle. The only problem I ever had was that the firing pin retention pin would fall out when you remove the bolt if you were not careful. Pretty minor issue for an excellent rifle. You need to full length resize but small base dies are not necessary.
Old February 13, 2007, 07:21 PM   #3
northjdr

Thanks. A lot of people seem to really like the 168 SMK's so I'll certainly try them out. The first powder I purchased was IMR 4064 so I appear to be on the right track. I just wish I could stop it from going crunch in my RCBS power thrower. I currently have the Hornady 2 die(full length resizer, seater/crimper set in 308. Would would neck bushing type of die do a better job?
Old February 13, 2007, 07:56 PM   #4
hodaka

That rifle deserves the time it takes to weigh each round. Especially with 4064. If you want to throw them, try some 2230 or some H322. I would stay away from neck sizing in an AR platform. Neck sizing works MOST of the time, in my experience, but semi's are supposed to bang every time.
Old February 13, 2007, 08:15 PM   #5
northjdr

I throw to just under the weight and then trickle up. Thanks for the information.
Old February 14, 2007, 06:42 PM   #6
cheygriz

For a hunting load, use those Nosler 150s, and H335. Dead accurate, good bullet performance, and you don't have the PITA of weighting charges.