The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 8, 2007, 09:03 PM   #1
flintsghost

I Was Worried, but Dillon No BS Warranty is Alive

I recently bought a set of new, old style, 10mm/40S&W Dillon dies. I have two Dillon presses and lots of Dillon stuff and never had any problems. On those occasions when there was a problem I would call - usually expecting to pay for an item. Most of the time they took care of it under warranty and sometimes I had to buy a new one if I broke the old one. On this particular set of dies everything seemed fine except that the seater which was marked 10mm/40 kept marking the bullets and damaging them. I pulled it out and it fit just perfectly in the die but I noticed that the seater plug recess seemed way too small for a 10mm. I took a factory round and it wouldn't start. A 9mm round nose fit OK. Obviously when these were made or assembled someone made a mistake and either the plug was made wrong or the wrong plug went into the die. I thought, no big deal, I'll call Dillon and get another one. They used to have a No BS warranty, no matter whose fault or what the problem, they would stand by it. I've dealt with them for 20 years and never had a major problem. I talked with "John". John told me they didn't make that seater plug anymore and didn't have any and it wasn't really their problem. He offered to sell me a new seater die for $21.95 and postage. I asked him if he was serious and he said yes. I declined his kind offer to make this the worlds most expensive 10mm die set and said goodbye. I didn't even get upset with him which is amazing considering how I felt I had just been screwed by Dillon. I then sent an email to Dillon hoping it would reach Mike Dillon himself and got nothing back - Maybe John takes care of the email too, who knows. Anyway, I suggested that they should now consider publishing in the "Blue Press" that their no BS warranty was dead since this was obviously a production error and I would now have to pay for it somehow. I know most people have had good luck with them in the past. I have too. But I think those days are over.

Last edited by flintsghost; February 9, 2007 at 12:26 PM. Reason: spelling error
Old February 8, 2007, 09:32 PM   #2
nbkky71

wow... that's odd. I've always been taken care of by Dillon: even when I've broken parts due to my own negligence.

I'll bet if you would have called them right back and spoken to another service rep they would have taken care of you.
Old February 8, 2007, 10:13 PM   #3
flintsghost

I thought it was odd too but never thought of calling back and talking to someone else. Of course I might have gotten the same guy. I sent an email as I said, in hopes of reaching Mike Dillon, but no reply so far and I really don't expect one. I suspect that in the future I'm just going to have to take care of myself with them as a paying customer regardless of what happens. However, I still have two of their presses and lots of other stuff and accessories. I just hope that bringing this to everyones attention gives Dillon and "John" enough heartburn that they don't do this to anyone else. I think it's already too late for me.
Old February 9, 2007, 08:26 AM   #4
SmokinTom

Call them back!!!
Old February 9, 2007, 08:29 AM   #5
Jamie Young

Find out if that guy got fired.
Old February 9, 2007, 09:33 AM   #6
Thesenator

I would call Dillon, get a return authorization number and send the whole die back with a note of what is wrong and request that it be repaired or replaced with the newer production replacement.

If that gives no satisfaction, I'd send Michael Dillon a registered letter, return receipt, addressee only and request an explantion as to why his company is not living up to its advertised warranty policy and be sure to get the name of the employee you dealt with and include it in the letter.

Keep us posted.
Old February 9, 2007, 09:58 AM   #7
flintsghost

Thanks guys. I appreciate the comments. The letter idea is the next step after seeing if I get an email back from them today - which frankly, I don't expect. They record their phone conversations with service so if Dillon wants he can find out just what was said with old "John" and just how poorly it was handled, he can do that. I would doubt that "John" will get fired. He might get educated a little bit or maybe we're the ones getting the education. It's possible that there has been a major policy shift at Dillon and they aren't going to be the service friendly people we all came to know and love over the last 20 years.

I think it's kind of interesting when I got ready to reload 10mm, I also needed a 10mm expander for my universal expander die (a set I built some years ago for the times I don't want to use my 550 or I just want a few rounds for load development.) I built this set using one old RCBS expander die and I scavenged all the expanders and sometime expander/decappers from gunshows, part boxes etc everywhere I could. I cut the decappers of those that had that and polished the ends smooth. I called RCBS a week or so ago and I was going to order a 10mm and fully expected to pay for it. After talking to the nice lady at RCBS customer service and explaining to her that I was using dillon dies but wanted the expander only just for those times I might need it....she said, don't worry about it we'll just send you one no charge. A few days later here it is. A lot of the dies and my single stage press I've used for years are RCBS and I've always had a high opinion of them but that's better service than I ever got from Dillon.

Last edited by flintsghost; February 9, 2007 at 10:00 AM. Reason: spelling error
Old February 9, 2007, 10:39 AM   #8
FirstFreedom

That guy should be fired, or Dillon has completely changed for the worst - one or the other - I would hope that they make it right - please definitely send a SNAIL mail letter with explanation and if you still get rebuffed, post here so's we'll know...
Old February 9, 2007, 11:25 AM   #9
Dillonhelp

Flintghost,
If you give me the inside diameter of the seat die where the seat stem goes, I think I have a 10mm swc and a truncated style bullet seat stem for the old style dies. We never made a RN seat stem for 10mm.Apparently John wasn't aware that there is a bin of the old die parts in the repair room. They don't have a part number, so they can't be looked up in our computer. I haven't seen your e-mail, but if you sent it on Thursday we won't print it off until today anyway.Feel free to call me at Dillon, 800-223-4570 ext 311
Old February 9, 2007, 12:24 PM   #10
flintsghost

Folks, The problem is now solved. You can put your trust back in the blue folks. Dillonhelp is their sales manager and he very nicely and promptly solved my problem and indicated to me that the customer service rep would receive some counseling about how best to deal with this sort of problem in the future so that no one else thought they were getting a bad deal. I would encourage anyone who felt that they were not treated appropriately by a customer service person to call Dillonhelp at the phone number. He's a pretty good guy and very knowledgeable and will take care of you just like Mike Dillon would. I want to thank all for their help including Dillonhelp.
Old February 9, 2007, 12:31 PM   #11
eerw

cool...

faith is restored...
love my Dillon..bought it over 20 years ago...and it still is churning out rounds are pretty as it did back then..
Old February 9, 2007, 12:35 PM   #12
Anon

Moderators.....

In the spirit of fairness, please change the subject of the thread, to reflect that customer satisfaction that flintsghost was able to get.

Signed,
A happy Dillon customer for the last 20 years!
Old February 9, 2007, 01:07 PM   #13
flintsghost

Moderators, I agree with Anon. I did add "problem solved" to the title of the thread but it doesn't show on main thread title in the index. I hope that can be changed. Thanks,
Old February 9, 2007, 01:16 PM   #14
TimRB

"I would encourage anyone who felt that they were not treated appropriately by a customer service person to call Dillonhelp at the phone number."

Kind of makes you wish you hadn't started this thread, doesn't it?

Tim
Old February 9, 2007, 01:26 PM   #15
Texas_XD

It seems to me it was good he did, he got a great resolution and apparantly fairly quick. It's just sad now about not being able to change the main thread title. Dillion has such a good rep is what brought me into reading this.
Old February 9, 2007, 03:33 PM   #16
Shoney

Since the title of this thread was unethically changed after 20 some posts, I feel it imparative that I remove my comments.
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111

Last edited by Shoney; February 11, 2007 at 11:56 PM.
Old February 9, 2007, 03:56 PM   #17
hapi

everyone has a bad day and maybe you caught the customer service guy on a bad day....or maybe he didn't know. glad to see dillon come here and take care of things.
Old February 9, 2007, 04:28 PM   #18
Musketeer

Well done Dillon. As a sales manager for a contract amnufacturing company I know that problems always will come up. What differentiates the great companies from the average ones is how it is handled. You have taken what at first appearred to be a negative and turned it around.

"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." Benjamin Franklin
Old February 9, 2007, 05:00 PM   #19
Abstract

I've seen posts on other forums of folks' having trouble with a Dillon guy named John.
Old February 10, 2007, 08:13 AM   #20
Thesenator

Glad you got things resolved. Way to go Dillon....
Old February 10, 2007, 08:35 AM   #21
Bud Helms

Dillonhelp, welcome to TFL and well done, sir.
Old February 10, 2007, 09:59 AM   #22
Anon

Yeah........ Pretty friggin' good first post!
Old February 10, 2007, 03:30 PM   #23
SeanB

....another free endorsment

years ago I broke a bracket on my old square deal.....sent dillon post order
after speaking to customer service by phone, when I got the part they also
sent my money back....and this was to Australia.

good to little has changed
Sean
Old February 10, 2007, 05:59 PM   #24
armabill

I just bought from Dillon a new auto powder measure. The site pic shows that the activating rod comes with it.

When I received the package, it had a thumb sized hole in the end of it. Upon opening the package, I saw that the measure linkage was different from my older 550B.

I called Dillon and explained my concern. He asked if the measure was damaged, which it wasn't. He then said that the activating rod doesn't come with the measure anymore.

So on Monday, he's going to send me a rod that's compatitable with both linkages. Didn't say that he was charging me for it but also didn't say it was at no charge either.