The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old February 7, 2013, 08:41 AM   #1
J S Machine

Browning Auto-5 with safety problem

I have recently picked up a nice, older Belgium made A-5 with the safety that slides through the trigger guard back and fourth. It has no tension on the safety itself, so it just falls back and fourth. There is no retention - if that makes more sense.

I can see a small indention in the bolt. I did some digging and from what I can tell, there should be a ball that is nestled down into the trigger guard itself (most likely having a sprimg behind it?) that falls into this indention in the bolt. (Think about the same principle in an AR15 with the safety selector detent)

I found some picture diagrams on google images that seem to show the ball. Note number B1111390 in this image:

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t..._schematic.jpg

I also found this when searching for the part number.

http://www.midwestgunworks.com/page/mgwi/PROD/B1111390

Would the receiver have to come completely apart to get to this thing?

Is this a common problem? Also, I'm trying to figure out how the one that was in there got out..This seems like one of those parts that could never find a way out, unless someone had the receiver apart at one time and lost it..

Also, as it appears out of stock in that link, does anybody know where I can get the part, and possibly the spring as well (provided there is one behind it)?

Thanks!
Old February 7, 2013, 11:12 AM   #2
guncrank

The spring is a leaf spring that retains the ball
I think a 3/32 or 1/8 ball bearing will work
Machine Shop and Finishing Services to the trade and public
Old February 7, 2013, 08:30 PM   #3
oneoldsap

Location: I live in the foot of the Green Mountains of Vermont
Sounds like a broken spring to me . The detent isn't working because there is no spring pressure . The trigger assembly should come right out after removing two Screws or pins , I forget . That is an old A-5 you have !
Old February 9, 2013, 06:08 PM   #4
Orphanedcowboy

They are notorious for getting very dirty and failing to function. Download and read this manual:

Field Service Manual

Section III part 2 deals with the trigger guard assembly.

Brief synopsis: remove the butt stock lock screw and butt stock screw, then trigger assembly lock screws and the two trigger assembly screws and drop the trigger assembly out. If the butt stock screw will not budge, remove the two trigger assembly screws and tap them out, this will release and tension on the butt stock screw allowing you to remover it(this is where most people break a cheap set of screwdrivers, especially if this screw has been in there for decades) Release the mainspring and then remove the mainspring lock screw and screw, and then dissemble, preferably on the kitchen table on a soft white towel, thoroughly scrub and put it back together, also that detent ball is like 3/32"

The manual covers it all in depth.(print two copies, one for the library and one for the bench.)
Old February 15, 2013, 10:43 AM   #5
J S Machine

Thanks for the reply folks. I did get in touch with a gunsmith in Missouri that told me about what was going on in there. He said usually what happens with these is that people will take them apart, and then they will unknowingly lose that ball.

Either way, I got in touch with browning, and they said that they do have the part. It is only around $1, but I can't buy it. It is a factory install item only. They said they would charge about $80 to put it in, and I would have to pay shipping both ways probably. The gunsmith in Missouri said the same thing, they cannot sell them to me. I could send it to them and have them put it in..

Must be a liability issue.

I had not thought about the ball being stuck because of crud buildup. I will check that out.
Old February 15, 2013, 04:05 PM   #6
Scorch

Any good bearing shop will sell you loose bearings. Remove the safety and install it yourself. The reason it costs $80 to replace the ball is that they charge bench time, 1 hour minimum, and in reality it takes at least that much time to disassemble and reassemble an A5 trigger group. By the time you pay $60 in shipping each way, you have a $200 repair.
Old February 15, 2013, 05:20 PM   #7
oldgunsmith

That isn't a hard spring to install. I have a few of them in my A-5 parts drawer. You're welcome to one if we can decide how to get it to you. One word of caution: when removing the stock, know positively which screw is Which. The mainspring screw is right there close and if you remove it before the stock is off, you launch the rear end of the spring into the stock, making it a lot harder to get off. 25 years ago I was a Browning authorized warranty repair gunsmith and I never disposed of my parts stock.
Old February 19, 2013, 04:27 PM   #8
Vearl Brown

A-5 Saftey

The A-5 with the cross bolt has a trigger spring with 3 fingers on it. The middle one puts tension on the safety ball that makes the click when you slide it back and forth. NOT often but sometimes this finger will break reliving the tension on the safety ball and allowing the safety just to slide back and forth .
SOLUTION--replace the trigger spring !! MAKE SURE that the spring you get has THREE (3) fingers. The earlier springs only have 2 and will NOT solve your problem !!