The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 1, 2005, 10:46 PM   #1
mikesbritishguns

8x57 dies

Anyone know where I can find a set of dies for the .323 8x57 rimmed cartridge? These German 8mms always confuse me, is this the one that is called 8x57JRS? Thanks.
Old November 2, 2005, 12:51 AM   #2
Olaf

The dimensions of the case are the same as the standard 8 x 57JS. The rimmed case is not of concern, except in terms of the shellholder needed. So, most brands of 8 x 57 JS dies should work fine for this. Also, standard case-trimming tools, such as the Lee manual tools, should be fine, too....except (again) for the shellholder.
Old November 2, 2005, 12:46 PM   #3
mikesbritishguns

Thanks Olaf
Old November 6, 2005, 08:33 PM   #4
hIPSHOT33

go to Huntingtons.in Oroville Calif. they have evrything you need . On the web it ( huntingtons.com)
Old December 7, 2005, 09:04 PM   #5
ammunition-man

8x57 dies

I took a set of them pacific dies to horst auction
thay will be for sale i think in febuary or march
www.horstauction.com

you have to be at the auction house to buy
Old December 8, 2005, 01:14 PM   #6
Schmeisser

Mike, you can use the 8x57 IS dies to reload 8x 57 IRS ("R" standing for "Rand" = rim) without problems. The shellholder to be used is the same as for the unrimmed version (e.g. RCBS #3). As the R cartridges are designed for typical German Kipplauf-hunting rifles like Drilling, Bockbüchsflinte or Doppelbüchse, their load has to be somewhat softer than that of the IS-cartridge designed for military rifles like the Mauser 98. Nevertheless, properly loaded (or European) R-cartridges are still less anaemic than the ones you find on the American market. The IRS is a fine cartridge; I once had a Doppelbüchsdrilling in that caliber and harvested a lot among deer & wild boar. As a rule, if you hit a piece half way right, you've got it.