The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old October 23, 2001, 10:18 PM   #1
Mad Max

Remington extractor problems

I have a Sendero in 7mm that has always had a problem extracting brass, especially Federal. The other day at the range, it failed to extract a Remington brass. When I took the bolt out, it had brass shavings on the face, and underneath the extractor. After I wiped the shavings out, it worked better.
What is causing this problem, and how should I fix it? Do I need a new bolt?
If this happens when I'm hunting I'm going to thow the thing in the creek. Please help before this happens.
Thanks.

"I don't mind it when stupid people say stupid things. Stupid people should be encouraged to say stupid things, that way we always know who the stupid people are." ~ Ted Nugent - Fox News, 2002.

"A man's ethical behavior should be based effectually on sympathy, education, and social ties and needs; no religious basis is necessary. Man would indeed be in a poor way if he had to be restrained by fear of punishment and hope of reward after death."
[Albert Einstein, "Religion and Science", New York Times Magazine, 9 November 1930]
Old October 23, 2001, 10:42 PM   #2
DeBee

Oh god I'm glad you didn't post this on the Rifle forum...

Don't throw the thing in the creek yet... Although most forum members agree that Remington has had some quality control problems of late, I don't think they are insurmountable.

It's difficult to diagnose over the web but I think the extractor is protruding a fraction of an inch to far into the bolt face or you simply have a burr on the extractor.

Remove the bolt. Clean the bolt face thoroughly with a tooth brush and some CLP or the like. Examine under bright light with a magnifying glass if needed. "Excerise" the extractor back and forth a few times. Look for anything unusual. Fit a fired case under the extractor see where it's cutting brass. It may be possible to knock the burr or protrusion down with a diamond needle file-- but I would be very light handed here... If that's not it, I'd be surprised. The rifle may break in with time of course...

You have discovered a weakness in the Rem 700 design, as anything like brass, ice, mud, sand, weeds, pine needles, powder kernels, etc gets in there, it's jammed and you've got to stop and clean it-- add that toothbrush to your carry kit...
Old October 24, 2001, 04:29 PM   #3
James K
Member In Memoriam

Forget the toothbrush; it is not stiff enough for real cleaning of anything. Get one of those steel wire brushes (not much larger); it will do the job. (And no, it won't wear down the metal or leave huge scratches.)

Jim