The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old April 11, 2010, 09:48 PM   #1
Cheapshooter

Fiberglass covered styrofoam stock

I am wondering if anybody knows who made a rifle stock that is on my Remington 700. It has a Styrofoam core, fiberglass shell, and glass bedding. It was on the rifle when I traded for it 30 some years ago. The stock is extremely light, maybe 1 lb. and has Pachmayr style flush QD sling swivels. I had the gun worked on a few years ago. Muzzle brake, Pachmayr pad, trigger job. matte bluing, etc. The smith that did the job remembered hearing of this stock, but couldn't remember who made them. The gun is incredibly accurate, light, and easy to shoot.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old April 11, 2010, 10:05 PM   #2
jmr40

Brown Precision and Garrett Accuralite are 2 names that were 2 of the early pioneers making after market synthetic stocks. I have an old Remington 700 wearing one of the Garrett stocks. My brother had one of the Brown Precisions years ago. Both are very high quality. Brown precision is still in business www.brownprecision.com. I'm not sure about Garrett.
Old April 11, 2010, 10:18 PM   #3
jmr40

I'm not sure how long they have been in business, but Mcmillan is another possibility. I've got a couple of rifles in their stocks. Currently they are probably making the best hunting rifle stocks. But I'm not sure they were in business that long ago. Unless I'm mistaken Brown was the first to make a quality fiberglass aftermarket stock.
Old April 11, 2010, 10:21 PM   #4
SVO

If it has an aluminum bedding block, it's probably made by HS Precision.
Old April 12, 2010, 11:52 AM   #5
Scorch

There were quite a few fiberglass stocks on the market in 1980. Chet Brown of Brown Precision introduced fiberglass stocks in 1968, and after a few years there were some imitators. My first fiberglass stock was purchased from Chet Brown back when he was in San Jose, then I tried a few from Ultralight, then one from a maker in the midwest somewhere. Finally found Lee Six and bought stocks from him until he retired a couple years back, his stocks are available from Kelbly's now. Most use a polyurethane foam as filler, not Styrofoam. Lee Six used an epoxy foam that really made the stock rigid. Not the lightest stock, but very good.

McMillan stocks have always been injected foam with glass fibers, similar to the HS Precision stocks only without the aluminum blocks.
Old April 12, 2010, 12:00 PM   #6
HiBC

HiTec Specialties is a nice stock.I have used some Garrett Accralites.They were nice,too
Old April 22, 2010, 09:04 AM   #7
LongRifles, Inc.

Early McMillans were done this way. I have a 1985ish vintage M-40 that has a foam core with a layer of bisonite over the top.

I used it for my medium weight sniper rifle. I didn't trust it so I gutted the thing and laid up a whole mess of carbon ribbon and twill weave from one end to the other.

It now doubles as a baseball bat!

www.longriflesinc.com