The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

View Poll Results: Which Kahr would you buy?
CM9 29 56.86%
PM9 22 43.14%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Old September 26, 2012, 11:43 PM   #1
chaim

Kahr CM9 or PM9?

I am in the market for a couple types of guns. I'm probably going for a long-gun that can double as a range gun and a HD gun (a .357mag lever gun or a Ruger Mini-14), a revolver, or a small 9mm, and I'm strongly leaning towards the small 9mm. If I go with a small 9mm, the Kahr PM9 has been on my list for quite a few years now, so it is in the top 3 or 4.

I am having trouble deciding if there is enough difference between the CM9 and PM9 to justify the $270 price difference (based on MSRP) between the two.

From what I can tell, the CM9 has conventional rifling instead of polygonal rifling, you have to buy night sights separately and cannot order it with night sights direct from Kahr, and it may have a few more sharp edges.

Which way would you go (or did you go), and why?
Old September 26, 2012, 11:53 PM   #2
Redneckrepairs

I did not answer poll . I have owned a pm9 for years and got it before they made the cm series , the same for the p9 . Were i to buy today its real likely i would go with the c series pistols because the only " real world " differance worth noting is the dovetails for sights . So if nightsights are a must ( or the ability to change sights ) get the pm , other than that get the cm and put the extra $$ into mags and ammo .
Old September 27, 2012, 12:28 AM   #3
chaim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redneckrepairs
So if nightsights are a must ( or the ability to change sights ) get the pm , other than that get the cm and put the extra $$ into mags and ammo .
Kahr does market nightsights from Trijicon directly off their website, they just don't offer the gun with them pre-installed from the factory like they do with the PM9. Would that change your vote?

http://www.kahr.com/Sights/Kahr-CWCM...ght-Sights.asp
Old September 27, 2012, 12:36 AM   #4
Cheapshooter

I sort of "happened" into my CM9. Won the silent auction bid for it at an NRA fundraiser. But I will say not only did I happen into it, I am very happy with it. If I were shopping for one I would choose the CM over the PM. Dovetail front sight, and polygonal rifling to me are not worth the extra cost for a small CCW pistol. It shoots just fine as is!
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old September 27, 2012, 05:17 AM   #5
PSP

If I were to use one of these pistols, I'd opt for the PM9 because;
* I prefer a polygonal barrel
* I prefer all black finish for my carry
* I'd want sights not available on the CM

In general, I don't "settle for close" when features are concerned on a carry gun. I'm willing to pay for what I want. For a range toy I'd "settle".
Old September 27, 2012, 08:36 AM   #6
wild_billz

I just bought the cm9

I was in the same position, I was looking To buy a used pm9. I went for a new cm9 for 150 bucks less. I bought a holster and a ct laser guard with the difference. The pm9 looks nicer and has smoother edges but I'm glad I went less expensive. A new pm9 was going for 280 bucks more than a new cm9. My cm9 has 300 rounds through it and not one problem. I'm sure you will love both, i wanted the pm9 but when it came down to spending the money I went with the cm9 and accessorized it and am thrilled.
Old September 27, 2012, 08:56 AM   #7
Dan-O

I bought a PM9 about 5 years ago before the CM9 was an option.

I second the points that PSP outlined, and if I were buying today, I would still go with the PM9.
Old September 27, 2012, 09:55 AM   #8
fender1974

CM9 = Winner

I picked up a CM9 about 4 - 5 months ago and can only say possitive things about it. I did my homework prior to making the purchase and when handling both (CM9 vs PM9) at the same time, there was not nearly enough difference to make me want to spend the extra money. I've now run almost 400 rounds through here without (knock on wood) one hiccup. I didn't buy it to be a range gun, but I've had a lot of fun with it at the range and love the trigger and how accurate it is.
Old September 27, 2012, 10:05 AM   #9
GunFooMaster

third option?

Why not throw the MK9 into the mix.

The mk9 is not that far ahead in price with the pm9, yet the weight help firing control for some while others focus on remembrance.

I'd skip the pm9 (cm9 fancied up) and decide from a cm9 or mk9
Old September 27, 2012, 10:10 AM   #10
Fishbed77

CM9 for me.

I picked up a new CM9 on sale for $329 out-the-door back in February (new store opening sale for Palmetto State Armory). That's literally half the price of a new PM9.

Quote:

The mk9 is not that far ahead in price with the pm9, yet the weight help firing control for some while others focus on remembrance.
I've shot the CM9 back-to-back with my father's MK9 (basically the same pistol as a PM9, but with a steel frame) on numerous occasions, and, suprising as it may sound, there is no discernable difference the way they handle or shoot, despite the weight difference with the MK9. Felt recoil is about the same; they are both surprisingly soft shooters for such small 9mm pistols.

Yes, the PM9/MK9 has a nicer looking slide, but let's face it - these are conceal carry guns that no one is supposed to see anyway. Night sights are readily available for the CM9, and the lack of a second magazine in the box is easily remedied.

The only real functional difference between the CM9 and PM9 is the traditional versus polygonal rifling. That said, the short traditional-rifled barrel of the CM9 is still easy to clean, and the miniscule amount of muzzle velocity that the CM9 gives up is not worth the price premium of the PM9 to me.
Old September 27, 2012, 10:38 AM   #11
psyfly

I had one each.

When the time came to get rid of one (complicated story), I kept the PM9 and haven't had a single regret for the decision.

If I were buying a new one tomorrow, I'd probably go for the CM9.

W.
Old September 27, 2012, 12:52 PM   #12
KyJim

I opted for the CM9. I own and carry more expensive guns, partially because I liked certain ascetics and options that cost extra. However, I viewed the CM9 strictly as a tool and didn't see enough reason to pay extra for the PM.
Old September 27, 2012, 01:45 PM   #13
JMC

This poll came after the fact for me because I already have an all black PM9 w/night sights which is my EDC gun and has been nearly 90% of the time for over a year now.

Last edited by JMC; September 27, 2012 at 03:32 PM.
Old September 28, 2012, 08:33 PM   #14
chaim

Does the CM9 have the same trigger as the PM9? I think it does, but of the two, I've only shot the PM9 so I don't know first-hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunFooMaster

I'd skip the pm9 (cm9 fancied up) and decide from a cm9 or mk9
My best friend had an MK9 that he traded on a PM9. I shot both pretty extensively. There is a big difference in the weight of the two. I think the MK9 is too heavy for its size. If I'm going to go that heavy I'd go a little heavier and get the K9 or K40. IMO, they are just as concealable as the MK9, they aren't that much heavier, and they are just as thin. For that you get a longer grip and slightly more weight that make a big difference in controllability, a slightly longer sight radius, and one more round. So for me, the decision wouldn't be MK9 or CM9, if I also consider a metal Kahr the question would be plastic and small (capable of acting as a larger pocket gun) or metal but a little bigger (but still small) with the K9/K40. I will probably eventually end up with both, though when I do look at the K9/K40 I do have a couple other options on the table (when I go that size I'll also look at the slightly wider SIG 239 and only slightly wider but double stack S&W M&P Compact).
Old September 29, 2012, 09:03 AM   #15
Officer's Match

CM's fine I'm sure. I carry a PM9 and its a great 'lil blaster.
Old September 29, 2012, 04:50 PM   #16
chaim

Haha, I never really know how things are really going to go when I go to the gunstore to drop down my money.

I went to a local gunstore specifically to buy the CM9, but of course, I still checked out a couple other things in the display. The Beretta Nano didn't really do it for me and still confirmed my choice, the Ruger LC9 didn't appeal to me, but the SIG 290 really was nice. It was significantly more money (about $180 more), but while both felt good in my hand, the SIG felt better. The deciding factor was that the SIG already had night sights installed so by the time I bought and installed night sights in the Kahr the price difference would be well under $100. Unfortunately, being MD, it will be a week before I can pick it up due to the darned waiting period. I can't wait to get it to the range to test out, and hopefully it will be my carry gun for my next trip to PA or VA (probably within the next 2 weeks).
Old September 30, 2012, 08:48 PM   #17
thinktwice

To me it all boils down to a close range self defense weapon. I really don't see the need to pay more for the barrel and some cosmetics. I bought the CM-9 and couldn't be happier. It carries just as good,and shoots just as well as my buddies PM-9. I mean it should they are basically the same gun.
Old October 1, 2012, 06:06 PM   #18
Glockstar .40

love my cm9! not any problems except it doesnt come in all black like the pm9
Old October 2, 2012, 06:33 PM   #19
harrydog

I bought my PM9 before the CM9 was available but if I had it to do over I would still go with the PM9. Not that there is anything wrong with the CM9 but I think the PM9 barrel is of higher quality and it has a steel dovetail front sight. The difference in price spread out over a lifetime of use is insignificant.
Old October 3, 2012, 05:20 AM   #20
JMC

Quote:
I bought my PM9 before the CM9 was available but if I had it to do over I would still go with the PM9. Not that there is anything wrong with the CM9 but I think the PM9 barrel is of higher quality and it has a steel dovetail front sight. The difference in price spread out over a lifetime of use is insignificant.
Exactly the same here.
Old October 3, 2012, 09:07 AM   #21
Belve

i have owned both i like the cm9 it is smaller and much lighter it makes conceal carry much easier
Old October 3, 2012, 10:40 AM   #22
JMC

Quote:
i have owned both i like the cm9 it is smaller and much lighter it makes conceal carry much easier
Are you comparing the CM9 with the PM9?

If so, they are the same size and weight. The only slight difference is that the PM9 has a 3.1" bbl. and the CM9 has a 3.0" bbl.

Both are 14 oz. empty and the magazine is an additional 1.9 oz.
Old October 3, 2012, 10:04 PM   #23
orionengnr

Quote:
My PM9 is, without a doubt, the finest 9mm carry pistol I have ever owned. As a bit of history, I have owned about 20 9mms since I started looking seriously at carry pistols, starting in 1983 or so.

I really love the HK P7 series. I have owned a bunch of P7s, including six or seven P7 PSPs, two M10s, and one M13. However, they are very expensive (especially the M13, which is, IMHO the finest P7 ever made) and all of them can be somewhat ammo-sensitive.

Due to the design of the gas/piston recoil system, anything other than a fully jacketed bullet can force molten lead through the gas piston port and cause a slowing or stoppage of the action. Yes, I have had it happen.

Best info I have found is that the CM9 and the PM9 are identical in frame and slide...sort of. The rifling in the barrel is different...conventional (CM9) vs. polygonal (PM9). And the CM9 lacks the slide sight dovetails that the PM9 has...so replacement sights may be an issue for CM0 owners.

The difference in weight of the two should be a non-issue.

My PM9 is approximately 14 oz, and the CM9 should be nearly identical.

Bottom line: I would buy whichever my budget allowed, and would not stress out over my choce.

Last edited by orionengnr; October 3, 2012 at 11:18 PM.