The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 16, 2014, 11:49 PM   #1
Machineguntony

Advice on high volume reloader, other than D1050

In everyone's opinion, what is the fastest, most efficient and best high volume progressive press for personal use?

I own several Dillon 1050s, and a 650. The 1050 is much faster than the 650 due to the priming on the downstroke. Plus the 650 has a nasty habit of spitting powder from the cases, and nothing, not even cutting the spring or using the plastic ball bearing on the index plate, is a good solution.

However, although it is my favorite press, the 1050 is not a commercial press, despite Dillion's marketing message. I know a very rich fella who owns his own Camdex reloader. That thing is some sort of Barry Bonds steroided reloading machine from another planet. Thats a true commercial reloader.

Please give justification as to why. I am looking for high volume and easy to use, and I would like to try something other than a Dillon 1050. I received a midsouth shooter catalog today, and most of the RCBS progressives looked to be on a class of like the 650.

I have only owned Dillons in my 20+ years of reloading. Looking to branch out.

Any advice?
Old April 17, 2014, 05:29 AM   #2
LE-28

I don't think I've seen anything that fills the gap between a 1050 super and a Camdex. The inline machines are definitely faster then the rotary.

I think the Camdex will cycle around 20 some thousand an hour.

I've been working on machines for over 40years, no machine runs efficiently at the highest cycle speed it's advertised at. A Camdex will dramatically outperform a 1050super but it's around $30,000 unless you can find a good used one.
Old April 17, 2014, 08:10 AM   #3
jmorris

The 1050 is the top until you get to the Camdex and Ammoload, both of which need to be fed processed brass. If you feed a 1050 processed brass they are almost flawless. You also don't have to be very rich to buy one (seen them go for under $8k) but you need to be fairly mechanically inclined.

If you automate 1050's they become quite efficient. Here is one processing 40 brass at over 4500 rounds and hour.

Click photo to play.

This video showes how the PLC control works, so the operator becomes little more than a filler and button pusher.

The powder spill due to the index of the shell plate on the 650 is best cured with a thrust bearing between the shell plate and retaining bolt, the rest can remain stock if you add this.

The 650 is the only other press besides the 1050 that can be setup with both case and bullet feeders, seat then crimp in two separate steps and have a powder check die. They are fairly simple at that point.

Click to play.

If you are wanting to beat a 1050 at loading your going to need to sell one of your machineguns. You don't always get what you pay for but you always pay for what you get.

Last edited by jmorris; April 17, 2014 at 08:18 AM.
Old April 17, 2014, 10:15 AM   #4
GWS

The RCBS press has the same jolt at the end of an auto-advance that makes a little powder jump out of short cases as the Dillon 650. (and the same fixes)

Why doesn't the 1050 do the same thing.....especially when it is power advanced like the video above shows at such a high speed???? No ball bearing stop? The spring under the ball bearing in both the Dillon 650 and the RCBS Pro 2k provides a vertical impact to the case plate and makes powder jump.

Jmorris is right....for what you want, (a cheaper Comdex) there is no machine. Pro 2K's are not candidates for power indexing......and Dillons aren't for long....I understand that even 1050's only last a year before overhauls when they are used that hard. (Must be why Dillon's warranty on them are only a year.)
Old April 17, 2014, 10:36 AM   #5
Jim Watson

Once upon a time you would have been recommended to track down the earlier Dillon RL 1000. But spares for them are getting in short supply and I do not think it would be a good move now.
There was a guy dba GunWhoreDer who said he had a lot of gear, but that was in 2012 and no posts by him since then.

I have an early Super 1050 that tended to throw powder when new.
I inquired on Benos and was told by a Dillon rep that it was due to the short abrupt angle of the plate advance lever which had already been superceded by one with a long curved camming surface. I phoned in and asked for the new one and was told it was not a warrantied part and would be $71. I asked to speak to my Benos correspondent, who sent me the lever gratis. No powder flipping. But then I am not loading at utter maximum production rate for long times to feed a tommygun. I use progressives to produce what I expect to shoot tomorrow in a few minutes.
Old April 17, 2014, 03:13 PM   #6
Machineguntony

Thanks for info fellas. Very helpful. I didn't think of it that way, but, yes I was looking for something to fill the gap between a 1050 and a Camdex.

I am seriously looking at one of these Possness Warren motors. I've heard scary things about them, though, like how they can cut off your finger, if you aren't totally vigilant.
Old April 17, 2014, 09:42 PM   #7
jmorris

If you run an autodrive without case and bullet feeders you would be a fool. Your fingers should never be near danger when they are under power.

Here is a link to a photo a friend sent me of a fellow that lost part of a finger because he hit the wrong switch and had his finger inside the machine.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...ghlight=Finger

No need for this kind of damage. I work around and drive machines everyday that will kill you in an instant if you make a mistake, many do.

Reloads themselves and reloading in general can hurt you if you make mistakes.

GWS the video with the machine running 4600+rounds per hour is just processing brass. The one loading is only running 1000 rounds every 5 min.

That is half the speed that I have loaded .223 on a 1050 manually.

Like in this video.

However, when you can keep everything full without stopping, casegauge each round and box, in the same 5 min you are still ahead even the loading itself is actually slower.