The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old January 7, 2013, 07:37 PM   #1
Nine the Ranger

Mini-14 Folding stock

I have a 581 series Ruger Mini-14 that I'd like to add a a folding stock too to make it more compact, it would be used as a 'bug-out', Truck Gun, ect. And I'd like it to be more compact.

At the Moment I'm leaning towards the Butler Creek wire side-folder, but I want to see all my options before I commit.

ATI's 'Strikeforce' stocks look terrible, I don't want one of them, but I would like a pistol-grip and the ability to fire while folded.
Old January 7, 2013, 08:10 PM   #2
ClydeFrog

Stocks for Ruger M-14s....

I'm not big on tactical rifles or gear but I have seen a few after market sources for Ruger ranch rifles & Mini-14/30 types....
See www.deltaforce.com www.ramlinestocks.com www.cheaperthandirt.com www.natchezss.com www.blackhawk.com .
Knoxx may sell a Ruger rifle stock like the 12ga shotgun style, but I'm not sure.

Clyde

Last edited by ClydeFrog; January 7, 2013 at 08:18 PM.
Old January 7, 2013, 10:17 PM   #3
kilimanjaro

I've used the Choate stock, it's very good, stout, and works properly.
Old January 7, 2013, 11:01 PM   #4
Edward429451

If you can find one, the Mini-14 Falcon Folder is a copy of the Ruger factory folding stock, some say nicer. It's wood and metal side folding and can be fired while folded.
Old January 17, 2013, 02:53 AM   #5
bamaranger

Butler

Nothing wrong with the Butler Creek, and their available and affordable, at present.
Old January 19, 2013, 12:35 AM   #6
johnwilliamson062

I have a butler creek side folder. It isn't bad. It has a lot of play in the joint, so it isn't going to help accuracy out any. With the pistol grip you can pull down slightly locking the joint more or less and accuracy improves. This is another thing to think about while shooting though. It does make for a light hand gun.
Old January 19, 2013, 01:02 PM   #7
The Great Mahoo

I saw a Butler Creek stock at a gun show today, used for $40. The hinge seemed ok, but it had a little wobble to it when locked open. I thought about picking it up, but it was gone when I went back to see if it was still around. Oh well, I don't feel like I missed out.
Old January 20, 2013, 02:11 AM   #8
LRChops

I have had a Butler Creek on my Mini 14 for 20 years. Great folder!
Old January 21, 2013, 08:50 AM   #9
Skans

If money is no consideration, you could splurge on a SAGE CQB Stock - you would have to add the folding component, but this is easily done. It's the one made out of billet aluminum and has built-in rails for accessories.
Old January 21, 2013, 04:44 PM   #10
hodaka

Butler Creek

I have had one on mine off and on over the years (25). Now it wears the original wood but there is nothing that I don't like about the Butler Creek and put it on from time to time.