The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 1, 2012, 12:27 AM   #26
Theohazard

I guess I should answer your question more clearly by saying that on both of them the slide moves to the rear when fired, but with the locked-breech Kel-Tec you'll notice the barrel moves with the slide for the first 1/4 inch or so.

Oh, and the chamber is the rear part of the barrel, it's not part of the slide.
Old November 1, 2012, 01:25 AM   #27
bonefamily

Thanks for explaining that Theohazard (both the complex and easy version ), I understand better now.

Good to know about the LCP .380, tahunua001. I will keep that one in consideration with the others.
Old November 1, 2012, 07:02 AM   #28
Misssissippi Dave

While .380 is fine for self defense I find the cost of ammo to be higher than that of the 9 mm. If you are not shooting them a lot you will be fine.

It is when you start putting a lot of rounds down range it get to be a problem. Most .380 pistols are also lighter than 9 mm pistols. Because there is less mass to them you tend to feel more recoil than you might think. The one big advantage to a heavier pistol is a lighter feeling recoil in most cases. The down side to a heavier pistol you carry is the weight at the end of the day. It becomes kind of a trade off. Size and weight verses comfort shooting. Going too small for a given caliber is not my idea of fun at the range. I'm also not a fan of feather weight guns because I do tend to like to use just about any pistol I have as a range gun too. Pistols with rubber grips and some polymers seem to flex enough to make them more comfortable to shoot. So you can sometimes get light weight and comfort to a certain degree.
Old November 1, 2012, 04:47 PM   #29
bonefamily

Thanks for the info, MD! Makes perfect sense to me.
Old November 4, 2012, 12:33 PM   #30
jimbob86

Quote:
While .380 is fine for self defense I find the cost of ammo to be higher than that of the 9 mm.
I did the math awhile back- if you shoot two boxes of factory ammo a month, choosing .380 over 9mm will cost you more than the price of the pistol in a suprisingly short time ...... $10/month may not sound like a whole lot, but that's 120/year...... 10 years would buy you a pretty nice gun.

Quote:
Regards to reloading, that is something I do not plan to do right away, but on down the road. As mentioned by Mississippi Dave, I want to learn to shoot well as my main priority first.
Shooting well takes practice. Practice takes ammo. Reloading gives you 2x the ammo/$ spent. Reloading = Better Shooting.