The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old November 11, 2008, 04:59 PM   #1
RHoovDawg

Rebarreling a Turkish Mauser

I have a Turkish Mauser action that I am thinking about rebarreling to .30-06. I need to know if this action is string enough, and I don't have any experience with this type of action. Here's the details:

-Large ring action with small ring threads

-made in 1944

-serial number in the 7500 range

It seems well made, but I'm trying to avoid a catastrophic failure. Thanks.
Old November 11, 2008, 05:31 PM   #2
Clemson

You will be fine in 30-06. I have rebarreled several of these actions. You may want to have the magazine lengthened if you want to shoot M2 ball. Most commercial hunting ammo will fit fine in the magazine.

Clemson
Gunsmith www.boltandbarrel.com
Old November 11, 2008, 05:59 PM   #3
F. Guffey

RHoovDawg, I do not know which Turk Mauser, the Turk Mauser is the only small shank receiver that has barrels available because of the large ring, I have chambered two M38s in 8/06 and did not do anything to the feed system. MidwayUSA and Browne's have barrels in 308 Winchester and 30/06 with small shanks for the Turk only.

A problem: To act as a retainer for the top hand guard, the Turks counter cut the front receiver ring, this shortened the length of the receiver ring, a friend purchased 60 Turk rifles for $38.00 each, seems he had a stack of take off barrels and no receivers, he threaded the take off barrels to fit the .980X12 threads, if it was not for the shortened receivers, he would not of had reservations about going above the 30/06.

http://www.turkmauser.com/serialNumbers.aspx

F. Guffey
Old November 11, 2008, 06:02 PM   #4
F. Guffey

small shank barrels available in 30/06 and 308 Winchester, other small shank barrels are available for small ring mausers but not in 30/06 and 308 Winchester.

F. Guffey
Old November 11, 2008, 07:13 PM   #5
RHoovDawg

Thanks for the replies. I will be turning the threads myself, so finding a barrel is not a problem. I'm glad to know that you intrepid pioneers have tread this ground before me......
Old November 15, 2008, 08:40 PM   #6
Harry Bonar

turk 38

Sir;
That Turk action will be fine for your porject.
As regards the handguard extension on the action insert a mandrell and just turn that unthreaded extention off and barely face the action. You will end up with action ring length comparable to the VZ24 or any other large ring action. The threads are .980X12 and 55 degrees but you can go ahead and thread 980X12-60 degree - most of us do that anyway.
I've built all calibers on that action, have always found lug surfaces hard enough and used it for 9.3X62, 9.3X64 and the 416 Taylor, and all our standard calibers.
Harry B.