The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old November 11, 2008, 05:34 AM   #1
willp58

M1 Garand trigger assembly

Hello,
I have taken in a Garand with a trigger assembly problem:

With the safe off, the trigger when pulled, travels thru the "slack", then stops dead and will not release the hammer..No click

However when I pull the trigger assemby out of the rifle, it works perfectly on the bench. I inserted another assembly and the rifle functions perfectly, so this tells me that it is something in the original assembly..

I have looked the offending assembly over pretty close and it looks perfect..Any ideas?

Thanks,
Bill P
Old November 11, 2008, 10:23 AM   #2
Buzzard Bait

your "riding the bolt"

I think, and it's been a while since I have been in one but the thing is designed to not fire out of battery. So if you gently close the bolt by holding the operating handle as it closes so that it won't slam shut. It will not fire and will act just as you are describing. The tech term for that is riding the bolt. Try just letting the bolt zing forward on it's own I bet it will fire. It's only human nature to want to treat the thing gently after all its sort of a distinguished old gentleman. But it was made to be a war machine and that's still whats in it's heart let the bolt zing forward and enjoy the ride.

Buzzard Bait
Old November 11, 2008, 07:54 PM   #3
Dfariswheel

Trigger binding on the wood?
Old November 12, 2008, 07:17 PM   #4
willp58

Good idea Buzzard Bait, I'll try that.. I have to admit being afeard of the MI thumb..LOL!

That was my assigned weapon and I never did get the "thumb"..Now I'm old and "leary" haha. .

Dfariswheel, The trigger is clear of the wood, I checked it..Thanks!
Old November 16, 2008, 02:22 AM   #5
Unclenick
Staff

You need to measure how far the trigger pulls back when the trigger group is out of the gun, and again when it is installed? If it goes all the way when installed, but the hammer doesn't move forward, it is most likely the safety is not completely disengaged. It works by trapping the hammer. Measure how far its actuator moves forward in the the trigger guard when the group is out of the gun and check that it is the same when the gun is assembled. If the trigger doesn't pull back all the way, then look for something that interferes with it. Watch that the little flat at the top back edge of the trigger doesn't run into anything?
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle