The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 7, 2007, 02:40 PM   #1
HDTVSELLER

used reload equipment

Is their a place on line where i could try to find a used set up for a starter to find out if thats what i really want to do ... or is this the wrong way to look at it ...just buy new?
Old October 7, 2007, 03:24 PM   #2
Dundee Tom

If you have access to gun shows, you might look there, too. Quite often you'll find great prices on presses and dies. I've bought used in the past with no regrets. This equipment is built to last! Best thing is to have someone who knows the game accompany you. Good luck.
Old October 7, 2007, 04:47 PM   #3
tomh1426

craigslist
E-bay, I think for now
A new setup dosent have to be that much, I keep hearing about some kit by LEE for $69 that has everything you need - dies
Old October 7, 2007, 06:35 PM   #4
Dundee Tom

I started with a single hand press kit from Lee for my 8x57 Mauser. Came with a a ram prime, powder funnel and case sizing lube for about $41, with the purchase of the Mauser sizing/decapping and bullet seating dies for about $30. I've since added two more hand presses at $30 each so I wouldn't have to be swapping the dies all the time, bought a Lee Autoprime, shell holders, etc. Sure, it's a slow process, but a very exact one. I trim and measure every case and use a scoop to measure out the powder charge. The result has been ammo that exceeds factory accuracy, I think, and at a lower cost.

BTW: The reason I opted for the hand presses is that I don't have a place at home for a workbench with a solidly mounted progressive press. But, for rifle ammo, which I load in much less quantity than I used to load pistol, it all works just fine.
Old October 7, 2007, 10:23 PM   #5
HDTVSELLER

ya i will be trying handgun 357/.45 and is it possible to use same press for .300 wsm
Old October 8, 2007, 01:37 AM   #6
redrmk

I like my single stage 50 year old c&h for the 300wsm because I don't shoot as much with it (.325wsm) and I like to tailor my loads. I bought a used lee pro1000 fpr $70.00 and it has been great. That is in the .45. I think next year when I go for the .357 (I have about 15000 rounds loaded right now) I will go for a new pro1000 for $125.00 at midway set up with dies. Just my 2 cents worth, would love to have blue but the price takes me out.
Old October 8, 2007, 04:50 AM   #7
qajaq59

Our local reloading shop in Melbourne, FL usually has used presses and other equipment for sale at decent prices. Of course it is to his benefit if someone can buy a press cheaply and get into reloading. See if your area has a reloading shop and look there.
Old October 8, 2007, 07:09 AM   #8
ludwig1138

If you go to the Lee Precision website (http://www.leeprecision.com/), they often have reconditioned or seconds presses and press sets under the closeout button for considerable discount. The guarantee and service is the same as for a new item.
Old October 8, 2007, 08:18 AM   #9
sknowskier

You can get a Lee Anniversary Kit from Cabelas for $69. It comes with everything except dies.
Old October 8, 2007, 08:35 AM   #10
Linear Thinker

Unless you are an experienced reloader, and know the worth of used equipment and/or are interested in something special like an in-line progressive - just buy a new kit.

Better yet, make friends with a reloader, and ask them to teach you. You can immediately spot a reloader at any range - they are the ones with a permanent stoop from looking for brass in the grass.

You can find reloading courses out there as well.
LT
Old October 17, 2007, 09:36 PM   #11
chaad

I've had pretty good luck trolling Craigslist, but for every bargain sale there are 2 asking new money for used equipment. Putting a note up at the ocal range might flush out guys like me who have spares lying around.
Old October 18, 2007, 07:38 AM   #12
HDTVSELLER

thanks guys i just ended up buying a Lee Anniversary Kit from a shop i went to when i went to work a few days in mississippi for about 80 bucks may be high but after shipping i think it worked out well. anyways thanks
Old October 18, 2007, 09:17 AM   #13
wncchester

HDTVSELLER: "What would the world be like without guns!!!! "

Well, considering what I see in our power hungry liberal politicians, I believe the world would still be much like it was in the 11th century; people would be divided into a few all-powerful lords living in luxery and masses of groveling serfs trying to survive.

You and I would not be lords.
Old October 18, 2007, 03:53 PM   #14
HDTVSELLER

i would say i agree with that one.. and i hope i never see what the world is like with out guns. so dont vote for clinton everyone or it might happen sooner then people think. but thats me and mho