The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 9, 2005, 01:27 AM   #1
ShottyTim

loads

Hey guys, i went to get some ammor for my rem 870, and i read that steel shot or loads or whatever can be dangerous to your barrel, can anyone tell me what kind of loads would be dangerous to my barrel, remington 870 18 in barrel cylinder , the home defense one, can u guys also tell me what slugs are best for this same barrel as well as what loads work well when exterminating prairie dogs and rabbits, and a few coyotes from grandparents property. Thanks guys.

meaning come and get them
Old June 9, 2005, 02:02 AM   #2
mtnboomer

First, if your barrel says it is proofed for steel, then steel won't hurt it. You'll only need steel for waterfowl anyway, so don't worry about it. The cylinder-bore "defense" barrel will shoot any of the Forster "rifled" slugs as well as the Brenneke-type. It will not shoot the saboted-style well because they are meant for rifled barrels. You're not going to hit many rabbits or ANY coyotes and prairie dogs with an 18" Cylinder choked barrel. Get a 26" ribbed replacement barrel with screw-in choke tubes and Modified and Full choke tubes to reach out to the ranges you'll be shooting for these critters. As for shot sizes: 2 3/4" #8's through the Modified choke for rabbits and squirrels; 3" #6's through the Full choke for close-range coyotes and prairie dogs; and 3" #4's through the Full choke for coyotes farther away.

Support the Second Amendment. Join the NRA > http://www.nra.org <

Oklahoma State & Big 12 - #1 GO POKES!!!!!
Old June 9, 2005, 03:06 PM   #3
ShottyTim

mtnboomer thank you soo much for the info it was very informative and really helped me alot, thanks.

meaning come and get them