The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 11, 2012, 06:51 PM   #1
CPEJR80

?'s about 45's

I have recently taken up shotting as a hobby. My first purchase was a Beretta 92 INOX. I do enjoy the gun and have taken it out to my local range several times.

I am now looking into purchasing a 45 and was hoping to get some tips/thoughts on models. I would like to keep it in the $500 range since I spent a pretty penny on the Beretta.

Also is online ordering a better deal or are the prices in line with most gun stores?

Thanks for your help...
Old September 11, 2012, 07:24 PM   #2
PT-92

First off, congrats on the Beretta as it's a classic beauty that shoots as good as it looks!

As far as the 1911, in your ballpark I think you will find that most of the recommendations will have the RIA models at the top of their list for good reason --so have a look at those as I don't see anyway you can go wrong.

Also, I would say take a look at the Regent R100 as it too is in that same $$$ ballpark. I have one and it's IMO among the best value entry-level 1911's to be found .

You will get lots of responses so take your time and evaluate and be sure to let us know what you decide on!

-Cheers
Old September 11, 2012, 08:23 PM   #3
Kevin_d77

Possibly a used Sig P220? I have one that I paid $500 for and it's a very nice piece
Old September 11, 2012, 08:40 PM   #4
PT-92

Yeah, used (or nowadays the PC way of saying it, "pre-owned") is another option. Personally, I have never bought a used gun as I am always fearful of being the victim of a major 'dupe' so to speak . But that's me and I know many people have great success both performance and value wise with used guns.
Old September 11, 2012, 09:31 PM   #5
loose_holster_dan

online is almost always cheaper. i haven't had any problem with used guns. $500 online price 45 - springfield xdm is a great option. match trigger, match barrel, 13 rounds of 45.
"A Sig is like a lightsaber - not as clumsy or random as a Glock."
Old September 12, 2012, 12:10 AM   #6
1goodi

Glock 21; $500 range (hi 5's) can't go wrong.
Old September 12, 2012, 03:49 AM   #7
oldandslow

cpe80, 9/12/12

Whenever one wants to buy a pistol it is best to go to the local gunstores and handle as many .45's as possible and see if it feels right. You will probably find that the newer polymer (plastic) framed pistols will be the cheapest to buy new although I doubt they will be $500 or less. If you find one in the $500-600 range and can't come to an agreeable price with your local gunstore then you may want to take a look online (example-www.gunbroker.com) and look up the make and model and compare prices. It's preferable if a new shooter buys his guns locally so the dealer can help you with any problems.

Buying used is a great option. I have bought about 15-20 guns used from online auctions (gunbroker or auctionarms) with no problems. However for a new shooter you may want to buy new as you may not be aware of what makes a good deal or how to smooth over minor problems with the used gun.

One pistol which has the same controls as your Beretta 92 but in .45 caliber is the Stoeger 45 cougar. They used to be made by Beretta until Beretta turned over their machinery to a quality gunmaker in Turkey. They are running $450-500 new on Gunbroker presently. I have one of the Beretta Cougars and they work great.

Good luck, shoot safely and make sure you save money for ammunition and training courses (very important).

best wishes- oldandslow
Old September 12, 2012, 08:40 AM   #8
Dashunde

Are you wanting a classic 1911 45, or just any 45 like the Glock, XD, M&P, etc?

Aside from the Rock Island's you'd probably have a hard time finding a good new 1911 in the $500 price range (people seem to like the RI's just fine though).
There is the Remington 1911 thats around $650, and from what I can tell handling a couple at the counter they're nicely made. Very tempting.

The Glock 21 and 21sf (smaller grip) sells for $539 new in my area.
I like plinking around with mine, and the Glocks lend themselves easily to nice inexpensive aftermarket parts if you want to change/lighten the trigger feel, amongst other things.

Last edited by Dashunde; September 13, 2012 at 11:12 AM.
Old September 12, 2012, 09:23 AM   #9
Mystro

Good question, because the 1911 or at least a decent 1911 is going to cost you much more than your Beretta did. If you don't want a 1911 and want a light weight 45, then look at FNP or a Glock.
Old September 12, 2012, 09:42 AM   #10
Tactical Jackalope

Plastic or steel?

Full size? Compact? Sub-compact?

Hammer fired or striker fired?
Old September 12, 2012, 09:51 AM   #11
TBT

1911 - Probably try and find something used or look at the Regent/RIA/Metro Arms offerings.

Other - M&P45 is a fantastic weapon.
Old September 12, 2012, 10:45 AM   #12
jmstr

Again: what type of .45acp do you want? Hammer fired or striker fired? Metal framed or plastic framed? DA/SA or SA?

I assume it was a .45acp you were talking about, and not a .45lc?

Also, when you say $500, is that the firearm price you can pay, without counting the sales tax and DROS fees? Or is that the 'out the door price'?

If you are talking $500 'out the door', you are probably looking at the RIA 1911 as one of the few new .45acp pistols that would fit within that financial constraint. However, there are other used pistols you might find that do fit.

If your $500 is a ball-park, and not counting taxes/fees, there are a few other new options that are good, and most have been mentioned.

In a 1911, the RIA products are pretty good for the money. They are not as refined as a $1200 pistol, but they cost less than half of that, and they have a lifetime warranty. Most owners report good things, as long as you don't expect it to be as well fit or precise as a $1200+ gun. In other words, don't buy a Honda and expect it to perform like a Porsche. But both are good products.

I had a small issue with my RIA Tactical after the 500 round break-in period, called RIA up and sent it in. 3 days after they received the parts [I had Arnel install nightsights while it was there] it was finished and back to me. It is now as precise as any carry/duty .45acp [and I have 5 that fit that description]. I do highly recommend you check them out. I think I am among the few with problems out of the box, but their customer service was top-notch, and it is lifetime!

Another new pistol in the $500 range that wasn't mentioned is the Ruger P345. I'd check that out if you are interested in a DA/SA hammer-fired .45acp that is reliable and combat-accurate. Ruger may still make the P90, which is a metal-framed DA/SA .45acp that also has a great reputation for durability and combat-accuracy. I've had the Ruger P97 [made 1997-2004] since 2001 and find it a very reliable and surprisingly accurate gun. You can pick those up used for about $300 or less frequently. I like Ruger products, as they are like a chevy or a ford: aimed to be reliable and function, yet be affordable for the average american.

If you are REALLY stuck on the 1911 platform, the RIA is the only one I'd ever recommend to a friend in that price-range. And, as was stated, it won't be as refined as the Beretta you are used to.

As to used purchases, I have no problem doing so, as I am able to detail strip about any handgun and can fine-tune parts as needed. If you are not technically apt, if you find a field-stripping of the handgun to be cumbersome and frustrating just to clean it after each range trip, DO NOT BUY A USED GUN! You may get lucky with the used gun and find it has no problems, but you may need to do repairs fairly quickly.

For example, the Sig P220. I would hesitate to buy older Sigs if I didn't know how to do repairs. At some point Sig went to a solid block slide, but earlier models were usually a folded metal slide and a breech that was pinned in. The breech pins on folded metal slide Sigs need to be replaced every 4000 rounds. If you buy an older Sig with such a slide, it would be wise to replace those pins [and all springs] right away so that you KNOW when to do it next, and don't have pins shear off. But, if you don't know much about the design and repair characteristics, a shooter could buy a gun and operate it past those repair stages and then experience problems.

And used has no warranty. I am so unconcerned that only about 37% of my handguns were purchased new. Used doesn't have to be a problem, as long as you learn how to evaluate the condition of the handgun and you are willing to make repairs.

It is like buying a used car: you can make wise purchases or you can buy a lemon.
Old September 12, 2012, 10:53 AM   #13
Steve Collins

.45ACP

The SIG P-250 can be found online, new for under $400. I have one. Very accurate and 100% reliable.
Old September 12, 2012, 12:19 PM   #14
pgdion

Congrats on your first purchase being one of the finest guns out there (the finest IMO). My first center fire gun was a 92FS and it is by far my favorite still, I absolutely love that gun.

I can think of two good 45's for under 500. I have a Ruger KP345 and I like it a lot. It shoots well and id reliable. It is na poly frame (and I'd like it better if it was aluminum) but it has good looks with the stainless and the black, and it's hammer fired with controls and behavior similar to the 92.

The other is the Stoeger (Beretta) Cougar. These things are a bargain ... 399 for the 9mm & .40sw, and about 450 for the .45. They shoot great, are all metal, are solid and reliable, and they have controls almost identical to the 92's except for, IMO, a better grip (slightly smaller). I have a Cougar in the 9 (which has been great) but I hear the .45 version is fantastic. I probably should have bought it over the Ruger but I kind of wanted at least 1 Ruger in my collection and I always liked the KP345.

Last edited by pgdion; September 13, 2012 at 08:14 AM. Reason: wrong price on .45 ... it's $50 more, not less (oops)
Old September 12, 2012, 04:22 PM   #15
tahunua001

since you already own and liked the Berreta 92, in your price range I would recommend the Berreta PX4. very similar controls, DA/SA operation just like the 92 and in my brief experience with one, very accurate, very low recoil and not a bad gun overall.

I never did like the slide mounted safeties that berreta seems so fond of but I would recommend the PX4 all day long for anyone looking for a decently priced DA/SA design.

my favorite DA/SA is the Sig P226 but that is nearly double your budget unless you get a good deal on a used one. the PX4 is a good second pic in my opinion.
Old September 12, 2012, 06:15 PM   #16
10-96

One thing to keep in mind when buying on line is the "other fees and costs" such as shipping, tax or no tax if bought in or out of your state, handling fees, ffl transfer fee, and whatever else may get stuck on. Always ask before you whip out a card, sometimes these extra charges or fees make a local buy a little bit better in the long run.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old September 12, 2012, 06:22 PM   #17
chris in va

Rent, rent, rent. Don't just hold one and buy, or spend the cash just because others say it's a 'must buy'.

For example I had a Glock 21sf and Sig 220. Neither worked for me.
Old September 12, 2012, 08:44 PM   #18
Nathan

Hello. . .We got some answers. . .Any response OP?
Old September 12, 2012, 10:17 PM   #19
FloridaVeteran

I agree with Chris in Va. Now that you have one gun, at least you can hold off the bad guys until you buy the next one. Go to one or more ranges and rent as many different .45s as you can shoot in a session. Shoot them and make notes afterward about what you liked and didn't like (racked easy, racked hard, hit the paper, hit the next lane's paper, stuff like that). Afterward, ask the range owners what they consider to be the most popular, the most accurate and the most reliable models.

I'd also pay attention to OldAndSlow's recommendation about the Stoeger Cougar. I've never handled or shot it, but if it does in fact have the same control placement and general feel as your Beretta 92, then you might find that to be an overriding advantage. Once you have shot a lot, "memory" for where everything is, the pressure needed, all that stuff can matter to some extent.

Just like boats and airplanes and (fill in here), rent before you buy.
Old September 13, 2012, 02:00 PM   #20
pgdion

^ The Cougar has controls identical to the 92. It feels similar, the grip is a little smaller (I think it feels good), the balance is a little different (perhaps slightly better), and they shoot very nice. The Cougar doesn't feel like the 92 when it shoots, that's very different (the 92 is smoother) but the .45 won't shoot like a 92 anyhow. The Cougar is basically still a Beretta. Beretta own Stoeger so all that changed was the Beretta factory that it's manufactured in (Turkey vs Italy). Cougars rock, everyone should own 1 of them IMO (but again, try for yourself and see).
Old September 13, 2012, 09:48 PM   #21
labhound

I'd also recommend the Stoeger Cougar 8045. My has been flawless. Paid $450 for it. If you'd care to go to about $550 look at the Springfield Armory XD45. I bought one about 6 weeks ago. Excellent gun and holds 13 +1 rounds!
Old September 16, 2012, 02:08 AM   #22
TomInLa

Stoeger or PX4

I own a 92FS, as well as a Stoeger Cougar in .40 S&W, and the the Beretta PX4 Storm....As others have stated the Stoeger and the PX4 will give you a good .45 that will not break the bank and operate very similar to your 92. They are smaller than the 92 but the controls are identical.