The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 23, 2012, 04:44 PM   #1
old fart

shooting slugs through a gun with a screw in choke

will it hurt to shoot slugs in a single barreled shotgun with a screw in choke? i will be using a improved cylinder choke tube with foster type slugs. will it blow my choke tube out? thanks
Old November 23, 2012, 04:48 PM   #2
WillyKern69

I do not know what will happen, but I would not do it out of my gun. Seems like there could be a lot of down side verses the up side.
WK
Old November 23, 2012, 04:54 PM   #3
RMcL

No. Foster slugs (aka rifled slugs) are soft hollow lead thimbles with a reduced diameter nose. They are designed to swage down for safe choke passage. Remington and Mossberg have choke tube equipped slug barrels in their line up.
Old November 23, 2012, 05:07 PM   #4
PawPaw

I've been shooting slugs out of my Rem-choke equipped Remington 870 with nary a problem. My model is has the rifle sighted barrel and the Rem-choke.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com
Old November 23, 2012, 05:41 PM   #5
jmortimer

The Brennekes are designed to go through a choke.
Old November 23, 2012, 11:58 PM   #6
Doc TH

An IC choke tube will do OK with slugs.
Old November 24, 2012, 02:24 AM   #7
BlackWorksInc

My UTS-15 uses a screw in choke and I've shot nothing but slugs through it. Haven't had any issues as a result.
Old November 24, 2012, 10:22 AM   #8
rcase1234

I shoot slugs through my 20 gauge Mossberg 500 with an IC choke and it shoots great. Just shoot rifled slugs
Old November 24, 2012, 10:37 AM   #9
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

Quote:
I do not know what will happen, but I would not do it out of my gun. Seems like there could be a lot of down side verses the up side.
WK
No down side unless he is using a Super Full (turkey) choke. I don't like to use a full choke on slugs but not much danger there either with most guns. The choke actually helps accuracy by centering the slug in the center of the bore making shots more consistent than with a cylinder bore. It and skeet choke are barely any choke at all. Most shooters that think much about it like to use 'M', I use IM with good results.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old November 25, 2012, 06:19 PM   #10
old fart

UPDATE!!

well i shot the slugs and the gun is fine, however it shot a foot low at 50yds. it has a 28" barrel and i'm thinking of cutting it down to 18.5 inches. i'm getting a shorter stock too, as the one on it is too long for me. will a shorter stock help me?, or cutting the barrel down? i would like for it to shoot slugs good but if nothing else i'll make a good camp and trapping gun. thanks
Old November 26, 2012, 12:47 PM   #11
WV_gunner

You should be more than fine, as long as there's not a tight choke.
I shoot 1 1/4 oz Magnum rifled slugs through my Stoegor Condor with no issues, it has removable choke tubes.
Old January 15, 2013, 03:27 PM   #12
old fart

i tried a rueb shotgun sight halfway down the barrel and it helped as it lets me take part of the barrel and my shots went up. but its made from plastic and it could get moved from a solid hit to it. i have wondered about a barrel mount that would fit just in front of the forarm, then put a small red dot on the mount. do ya'll think that would work? thanks