The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 29, 2001, 02:00 PM   #1
Opie-IN

I would like any information on the 11-87 Sporting Clays

I am having trouble finding any information on this shotgun. Tell me the scoop on these shotguns. I understand there is some compatability problems with other 11-87s???? I know this one is chambered for 2 3/4 only.

Thanks!

Last edited by Opie-IN; November 30, 2001 at 02:33 PM.
Old November 29, 2001, 04:26 PM   #2
K80Geoff

My $.02.

In the Sporting Clays circles I hang out in, the 11-87 is not highly thought of.

Seems the first guns put out had problems and shooters were turned off by them. They are rarely seen in SC circles. One local shooter referred to his 11-87 as a "Lemon 87" And he is a diehard Remington fan.

I have not shot a SC 11-87 but have shot standard 11-87's and they seem to handle OK.

I fail to see the reason for an 11-87 shooting only 2 3/4 shells, why not just get an 1100?
Old November 29, 2001, 10:26 PM   #3
PJR

I owned an 11/87SC for three years until I went with an over/under. I quite liked mine. It was reliable (providing you kept a spare 0-ring around) and had a great piece of wood. It handled much better than the standard 11/87 because it had a shortened foreend and a light contour barrel. It is one gun that I wish I hadn't traded off. I'm not sure how it would have handled thousands and thousands of rounds but it served me well.
Old December 1, 2001, 09:33 PM   #4
B24H

May I recommend checking out www.shotgunreport.com for some info on the 11-87? It also has a wealth of info on the Beretta AL390/391 as well as OUs and the game of sporting clays.
God is forgotten, and soldiers slighted
Old December 3, 2001, 05:07 PM   #5
Opie-IN

Update to post

Talked to Remington today.....The Sporting Clays 11-87 uses the same magnum receiver as all other 11-87s, the only difference is the Sporting Clays is finished a little nicer, and the wood is better than the standard 11-87s. The reason the SC version only shoots 2 3/4 is the barrel only, so you can swap out with any standard 11-87 barrel if you need to shoot 3" out of it. The difference lies in the gas tube, supposedly the standard 11-87s have some trouble with the lower powered loads, so the gas system is different on the SC barrel to ensure reliable functioning. If I wanted to add a new barrel, I would have to change or modify my forend to accept a full contour barrel, as the SC version uses a light contour target barrel. Not a big deal at all, forends seem pretty cheap on Ebay, but finding one with matching wood may be a problem, since the 11-87s with full contour barrels seem to have a little less quality in the wood. IF I were to change barrels it would be for a 18-20" for home defense, and synthetic is always a cheap option.

Thanks for all who replied!