The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Closed Thread

Old June 20, 2009, 06:49 PM   #1
dmxx99

Openly selling rifle in Florida=hassle

I had a yard sale in suburban Tampabay area I had a friend showcase a Ruger 10-22 so people driving by can see it and maybe stop by to potentially buy it.It was near a busy road but we did this on my property so he showcases the rifle for 2 minutes to draw attention and 5 minutes later the police show up and tell us they got a call from a woman that was scared $h**l&$$ because "some "kids" were playing with a rifle".Which is way off because my friend who was showcasing the rifle was 50 years old.

Anyways after talking to them for 10 minutes and them looking through the law and having a supervisor say we are legal.They tell me they did not see the point of answering the call because we broke no law and what we did was in the right.I tried to sell them the rifle but they probably did not have the money for it.

This incident taught me something,that alot of people in this state do not know the laws even the police had to look through the laws,and that open carry will never be accepted in this state because of some out of state soccer mom dolts.I had a revolver also for sale a cop tell me getting a handgun sold privately requires someone with a ccw license and being 21+ and up as told by a cop which is completely false.Just goes to show you that I will probably end up moving in Arizona or Texas once I get my school done because this state is a joke.Any objections you see that I did wrong on my part?
Old June 20, 2009, 07:45 PM   #2
Hkmp5sd

The cops in Florida, for the most part, do not know Florida law on firearms. They are simply not taught it. I have had many discussions with LEOs, several supposedly "knowledgable" in the law, that were totally wrong.

Unless they have an interest in firearms, most will never bother to learn, other than what directly affects them.

There is one part of Florida law that most LEOs know, and it really irritates them. LEOs are not exempt from the 3-day waiting period on handgun purchases.

BTW, it does not hurt to print out a copy of Florida's firearm laws and have them available. Especially if you CCW. Toss a copy in the trunk of your car.

NRA Life Member
Old June 20, 2009, 08:46 PM   #3
w_houle

Never had the experience of living in Fla., but here in KS you are as likely to come across an LEO who has much of an idea as to what firearms law is, and they don't much care as long as you are willing to hand it over to have the serial number ran to make sure it isn't stolen.
Old June 20, 2009, 10:33 PM   #4
NavyLT

It's simple. Florida is a concealed carry only state :barf:. To a cop in Florida, any firearm that they can see must be illegal.
Old June 20, 2009, 11:40 PM   #5
Al Norris
Moderator Emeritus

How much firearms law should the police know? I don't know, but do you know all the various laws in your State? Why would the police know everything, if you don't?

Perhaps they know the most about what they come into contact with, on a daily basis.

Not a legal or civil rights issue, and therefore off topic and closed.
Closed Thread