The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old October 19, 2002, 02:29 PM   #1
MilesTeg

Wife wants a .38 Special.

My wife is interested in getting a .38 Special and she likes the S&W 337 w/3 inch barrel but I am a little concerned that it might be too light. She enjoys shooting 9MM in a Khar P9 and 92FS and does not have problems shooting my Polish Tokarev but she definitely does not like shooting .357 mag.

How is the recoil on the 337? The other options I am looking at are the 65LS or 60 with 3 inch barrels or even the SP101 with a 3 inch.
Old October 19, 2002, 02:41 PM   #2
Kentucky Rifle

Miles

Do you mean the model 337 "Kit Gun"? I'm not sure that the regular 337 comes with a three inch barrel. The Kit Gun model looks pretty nice though.

KR
Old October 19, 2002, 03:06 PM   #3
Mark IV Series 80

Given the options, I would look for an older, 3 inch M65, or M60.
(whichever fits her hand the best).

If you can't find an older S&W, (firing pin on the hammer, no key-lock on the side, and no MIM hammer or trigger), in good condition, then let her try the Ruger SP101.

For a beginning shooter, I would stay away from the lightweight revolvers. They can be punishing to shoot, and shooting is supposed to be fun, isn't it?
Old October 19, 2002, 04:34 PM   #4
JimFox

The 337 Kit Gun is very light, but not particularly unpleasant to shoot with moderately heavy loads. For regular shooting (practice) I find the 130 grain ball load is a good round.

Apparently S&W expected the gun to be shot a lot with +P loads (it is rated for those) and the front sight is VERY high. That is all fine and good - and does what it's supposed to - but makes holster selection a bit tricky. I have a couple of belt holsters for 3 inch j-frames and the gun will not seat in the holsters because of a lack of room in the muzzle area.

It's good that the sights are adjustable because there can be considerable vertical spread between moderate loads and hotter loads.

I like the gun - but be prepared to experiment to find the best load that gives you the combination of power/accuracy/comfort that you (your wife) like.
Old October 19, 2002, 07:59 PM   #5
MilesTeg

Yes, it was the "Kit Gun" that we were looking at. I'm going to check with my local shooting range and see if they have something of similar in weight to shoot. I know they had some titanium Taurus snubs and that might be a good comparision - although they are all 2 inchers. I was looking at 3 inch as being a good compromise on sight radius and weight since this will not be a CCW but for range use and for the home. She has also shot .38's out of a Model 66 but did not like the size of the grip and the weight. I would not say that she is recoil adverse but a 14 oz. revolver might be pushing it a little.
Old October 19, 2002, 10:58 PM   #6
JimFox

Miles

I do like the 337 Kit gun, but, to me, it does have the limitations I mentioned earlier.

I also have a Taurus Ti-Ultra Lite (sp?) with a 2 inch ported barrel and don't find the recoil that much different than with the 337. The porting gives the recoil a different feel, but (at least to me) doesn't decrease it.

As noted I enjoy shooting it with the 130 grain ball loads and do not find the recoil either escessive or offensive. (On the other hand, I ain't your wife. She'll need to make her own assessment.)

The gun has fast sights and (mine) has a clean, crisp SA trigger and an OK DA trigger.

If she isn't looking at the gun as a carry piece, but rather as something she'd enjoy some range time with and otherwise a house/bedside/car gun - then it ain't gunna make much difference what you leave stoked in the cylinder for "duty" use. "In the gravest extreme" it's doubtful she'd ever feel the recoil, no matter what was in the gun. And at bedroom distances, I don't think the difference in POI between the "duty" load and the reasonably brisk practice load will make much difference in social work practice.

If at all possible I'd suggest she fire one with a variety of loads. If she likes it - go for it. It's a fine gun, but a pricey little devil to buy and then find out it ain't just what she'd like. If y'all lived a bit closer I'd invite you over for a session with mine - along with some other j-frames and various grip configurations.

Your objective - as I understand it - is to find a gun she likes enough to spend range time to become familiar with it, and that is also sufficient for home use. I think the 337 is fine for that, but your wife's mileage may well vary.

My personal preference for something like what you're looking for in the j-frame size would be a Model 36/60 with the 3 inch heavy barrel. I'd also find space in my heart for the Ruger - but none of those are light weight. How-some-ever, you're not shopping for me.

Let us know what you settle on - and what your wife thinks of it.
Old October 20, 2002, 07:47 AM   #7
Mannlicher

I would no more try to influence my wife's choice of a handgun than I would her choice of pantyhose. She is well able to determine her own likes and dislikes, and knows the reasons for those preferences.

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.".........Ronald Reagan
Old October 20, 2002, 10:21 AM   #8
Frenchy

If she likes the 38 Special cartridge, consider the Model 64. My 2" model is quite comfortable to shoot.
Old October 20, 2002, 12:15 PM   #9
Ala Dan
Member in memoriam

I know you said she want's at least a 3" barrel;
but in all fairness the Smith & Wesson model 60,
dash nothing with a 2" barrel and the "R" serial
prefix is worth taking a look at! Price
is dependent on condition; but can be found in
the $250-$400 price range.

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member
Old October 20, 2002, 12:29 PM   #10
dewey

M36 3 Inch

If she doesn't need adj. sites the 36 with 3 inch tub would be a winner. The smallish J frame is perfect for the ladies....dewey

...and He will come again . . . SOON !
Old October 20, 2002, 01:02 PM   #11
Atc1man

Don't waste your money. I did, and regret it somewhat. I have a .38spcl (Taurus Mod 85). Great gun, but its limited in that it only shoots .38/.38+P. Given the opportunity again and I'd buy a .357mag 5shot (not sure which brand). Why? If you are dead set on shooting .38's it will...but the option of punching .357mags is there.
If you're set on a .38, don't ignore the Taurus pistols. Mine is great, flawless, and conceals even in drawstring shorts+tanktop weather.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dueling pistols.jpg (31.6 KB, 67 views)
Old October 20, 2002, 05:22 PM   #12
MADISON

Wife wants a .38 Special

My advice and a one dollar bill might get you a cup of coffee:
Get her a Model 19, 13, or if you can find it a 686 in 3 inch barrel. She prrobablly will not be able to hand a full powered .357 now but probablly will want to up grade in the future. Don't worry about shooting .38 Specials in a .357 cyclinder. I have been doing it for years.
MADISON
Old October 20, 2002, 05:30 PM   #13
Atc1man

Quote:
Don't worry about shooting .38 Specials in a .357 cyclinder. I have been doing it for years
My understanding is that many handgun mfg'ers advertise that you can shoot both.

BTW I shoot .38's from my .357 all the time as well.
Old October 21, 2002, 11:36 AM   #14
joeoim

I too would advise 357 over 38. I have two 357s with 6" barrels and had a 38 in (rossi) 2" barrel for pocket gun. Before you buy her one try and shoot as many as possible. I didn't like shooting 158 gr +ps in the 2" barrel. Too much recoil, jump and muzzel blast. But all I use in the 6" .357s is 158gr 38 special +p+. The heavier frame .357 and longer barrel absorb all the recoil... Get her what SHE wants but have her try (if she hasn't already) a 4" barrel before you buy, and she will see a big difference in felt recoil. I like stainless steel revolvers, double action. Smith or Ruger. I've shot maybe a thousand 38 specials (I only shoot semi jacketed HP or LN, I don't use lead wad cutters) since I had cleaned my S&W mod 66 and the .357s just dropped right in to the cylinder, no problem. You can have a 357 even if all you use is 38s. my $0.02

THOSE WHO TRADE LIBERTY FOR SECURITY......HAVE NEITHER