The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old March 20, 2013, 08:09 PM   #1
Old 454

Need an opinion on FA 454 field grade

I have a chance to buy a Freedom Arms 454 I belive field grade for 1600.00 used but it looks like who ever owned it only shot it a few times as there is very little if any scoring on the cylinder where it rotates and the barrel is pristine, there are no dings any were on the revolve or grips, comes with box and all the papers.

My question is, is the FA really that good of a revolver to command that kinda price?

I have heard they are good guns but can some of you please enlighten me on the FA 454.

And yes I have shot 454's befor just never an FA

thanks for the imput
Old March 20, 2013, 08:56 PM   #2
Paul105

Price depends on how soon and how bad you want one and how comfortable you are with the deal/seller/transaction.
Freedom Arms .454s are the most common FA available. I haven't checked recently, but before all the madness, you could find FA .454s (even premier grades) for well under $1,600 and often with accessories. Check gunbroker and other online auction sites if price is your main concern.
You might also find out when it was made and determine if it has the current replaceable firing pin feature (get the serial number and call FA they will confirm). If shot a lot or dry fired, FAs can be prone to broken firing pins (no big deal if gun has replaceable firing pin feature).
For me, the grip frame on FA model 83s (and 97s) handle recoil better than any other platform, single or double action.
I have a 6" Field Grade .454 that I bought in the late 90s. It is the most accurate revolver I have ever owned. I had it retrofitted with replaceable firing pin and a .45 Colt cylinder.
The middle diamond on the pictured target is 5 shots with that gun -- accuracy has been verified on several occasions. I've also shot 3 shot groups at 100 yds that measure 2 to 3 inches with that load using 4x Leup. A better shot could certainly improve on that.

FWIW,
Paul

Last edited by Paul105; March 20, 2013 at 09:06 PM.
Old March 20, 2013, 09:49 PM   #3
Old 454

thanks Paul, A very good write up.

Yes I know the madness has really driven up the price of firearms.

I belive this is 1980's produced 454 I will call FA tomorrow and ask them for sure.

I did a check on gun broker and there were none up for auction.
Old March 21, 2013, 01:03 AM   #4
newfrontier45

Quote:
My question is, is the FA really that good of a revolver to command that kinda price?
I'm not up on current used prices but in a word, yes. They are the finest built revolvers ever made. They shoot like a rifle and operate like a Swiss watch. The question is, is it worth it to you?
Old March 21, 2013, 09:36 AM   #5
Old 454

Well just got off the phone, and what nice people.

Date of manufactor is April 4th 1989, and its a Primier grade. so I will be making the purchase!
Old March 21, 2013, 10:21 AM   #6
kcub

One thing good to know about 454 ammo is Winchester Super-X silver box is notably less recoil, about like that of a 44 mag.