The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old December 7, 2012, 09:53 PM   #1
dieselbeef

should i trade? mak 90 for mini 14 ss

ive got a very nce ak..norinco stamped..1990 model with a drum mag and a 20 rd.
guy wants to trade me a mini 14 ss. i think its a poly stock.

i initiated the trade but think the ak is going up in value real fast.

but i dont reallly like the ak ...never shot a mni tho

like to have all 223 semi auto rifles in the safe is a diver of the trade

whattya yall think? idk..im on the fence now that i thought about it..i guess theyre pretty close in value

thanks gary
Old December 8, 2012, 12:28 AM   #2
Hiker 1

I had a MAK 90 years ago that I bought for about $300. They have at least doubled in value, if not more. Mini-14's aren't going anywhere. I'd keep the MAK. Wish I still had mine...

I also owned a Mini-14 around the same time. No regrets at all about getting rid of it. Decent gun, but it was nothing special at all.
Old December 8, 2012, 02:02 AM   #3
5.56RifleGuy

Is it a Chinese 100 round drum? If so those sell for $250 to $300 themselves. The Chinese 75 rounders sell for a little less, probably around $200.

I wouldn't trade, being it would be a lot harder to get another mak 90 than a mini.

Is the Mak 90 the one with the slant cut receiver or a straight one? I think the straight ones go for a little more also.
Old December 8, 2012, 07:39 PM   #4
dieselbeef

its real nce mini too...and its223 ....like 5 of my other rifle...the ak is my only 762 weapon..idk,,need some more input
Old December 9, 2012, 07:07 AM   #5
dieselbeef

help me decide guys..pros/cons
Old December 9, 2012, 09:47 PM   #6
bamaranger

ak

Hey beef. Depends, if you intend to gain money on the trade, or if you want a user rifle.

I'm a Minii fan and I think that if you want a shooter with varied applications, overall a Mini in either .223 or 7.62x39 is a more practical GP rifle than an AK; more easily scoped, US production and support, likely more accurate, overall higher quality ammo and variey of ammo available, but.....

I believe AK's in general will continue to increase in value more dramatically in the next few years.
Old December 9, 2012, 09:56 PM   #7
stu925

First of all how old is the Mini? I would make the trade if it were a 580 or newer series Mini (look at the serial #). If it's an older Mini make sure you shoot it before you make the trade some of the older rifles suffered from barrel whip caused by the skinny barrels. Some of those older Minis shot groups that could best be described as minute of basketball. It doesn't sound to me like you're particularly attached to the AK so not much reason to hold on to it unless you're keeping it as an investment. If the Mini shoots good make the trade, if not walk away.

Stu
Old December 9, 2012, 10:26 PM   #8
ksblazer

I'd keep the MAK 90

I don't see many MAK 90's in .223 I would think that it would add to the value as well.

I have both a MAK 90 in 7.62 X 39 and a Mini 14 in .223. The mini has been problamatic from day one. I was low on cash and my father purchased it from me. Never really missed it. Then when me retired and moved, he gave it back to me. Still don't have much desire to take it out as I have other rifles that I enjoy shooting better.

My gunsmith hates Mini 14's. He says he fixed tons of them over the years. The MAK 90 has never given me any issues over the years.
Old December 9, 2012, 10:42 PM   #9
comn-cents

Keep the Mac
Old December 9, 2012, 10:57 PM   #10
jackpine

why would you trade off a firearm that is growing in value for one that is common, will not hold value, and IMO a poor preformer?
Old December 9, 2012, 11:23 PM   #11
nfafan

No help here... Been trying to do a FTF in SW PA for a Mini-14 for my unmolested RAAC-imported 16" SAIGA - the kind without the big scar on the side of the recvr.

Everyone wants to buy the SAIGA, no one offered up a trade.

But then I am money-poor and AK, AR rich - just wanted to try a Mini was all.

I will agree that a MAK-90 has a slavish following of CHICOM fans and is a better long-term value than a Mini. Not sure why, as once converted for 922-compliance, it's no more special than a SAIGA or VEPR conversion.
Old December 10, 2012, 07:24 AM   #12
dieselbeef

i think im going to go with keeping the ak..its a safe queen. and looks like it. got lots of other shooters so it doesnt matter..just thought it would be one less caliber to keep around.
my wife said keep it too..why trade something going up in value due to poss scarcity when you can buy a mini all day any time ya want....true i guess.
haent seen it in person either..the pics look as good as the ak..
do the ss barrels have the isue with the poor accuracy also?
oh well...guess ill keep it.

thanks
gary
Old December 10, 2012, 08:34 AM   #13
Skans

If it was a "pre-ban" Norinco or Polytech AK, i.e. pre-'89 import ban, I'd say "no way", its a bad trade. But, if it is a Polytech or Norinco imported originally with the thumb-hole stock and no bayonet, then I'd do the trade for a good Mini-14. Personally (key word here), I hated the castrated thumb-hole post '89 imports and I especially have no use for AK's in 5.56.....personally.
Old December 10, 2012, 09:13 AM   #14
ThomasT

I would sell the Mac and use the cash to buy a new 580 series mini if a mini is what you want. My two year old mini with the heavey barrel shoots very good groups and is much better than the older minis. Sounds like your gun might bring close to enough to buy a starter AR and then you won't have to listen to all the experts who haven't shot a new version of the mini give you their opinions based on no real experience.

I have has a couple of guns I probably shouldn't have sold but since I didn't like them they were of no real value to me. I sold them and bought guns I enjoyed shooting. I don't miss them at all.
Old December 10, 2012, 09:23 AM   #15
MLeake

Why do people keep bringing up AK's in 5.56? The OP said his issue with the MAK is that all his OTHER rifles are 5.56/.223, and his MAK ak is his only 7.62; one of his goals is ammo commonality, apparently.

But his MAK is not a 5.56mm.
Old December 10, 2012, 09:44 AM   #16
Skans

I guess because the OP's writing wasn't all that clear.
Old December 10, 2012, 10:08 AM   #17
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Sounds like more of a boredom trade, rather than a needful or utility trade.
Old December 10, 2012, 01:34 PM   #18
dieselbeef

well like mleake summed it up...guess ill just keep it and see what the market does...ill pretend its silver bullion!?
ive had it 5 yrs and had no desire to shoot it...just was a thought guys..thanks
Old December 10, 2012, 04:19 PM   #19
50 shooter

Being that I hate mini's, why would you even consider trading a superior weapon for a POS? AK's are far better in any configuration then a mini and would shoot myself with it if I ever traded for one.

The AK will always hold its value but a mini is just that... Now I would trade a mini to someone that I hated, that way they would hate me even more!

Now, all the fanboys are gonna throw hate my way but I've personally seen two mini's puke. One blew up in my brother's face and another in a friends. So yes, I think mini's are POS's and if they dropped off the market I could care less.
No time for rearranging.
Old December 11, 2012, 07:42 AM   #20
dieselbeef

good piont..ak wil run thru the dirt /mud/whatever,,,,like i said..im gonna sit on it but this is good post so keep on keepin on

maybe i can make it an auto with a bump stock?

Last edited by dieselbeef; December 11, 2012 at 01:18 PM.
Old December 11, 2012, 01:16 PM   #21
5.56RifleGuy

Bump fire stock would be ok. There is no way to legally covert it to full auto though. Very bad Idea.
Old December 11, 2012, 01:18 PM   #22
dieselbeef

yeah..i wouldnt even wanna git it a real full auto weapon....thats nothin but troubles...seriously..
Old December 11, 2012, 03:19 PM   #23
Skans

Quote:
yeah..i wouldnt even wanna git it a real full auto weapon....thats nothin but troubles...seriously..
If you are talking about the AC556 - you're wrong. I have put thousands of rounds of .223 through mine and it functions flawlessly, even when dirty (with brass ammo). It will fire Wolf steel-cased ammo, but it needs to be kept a little cleaner to avoid the cases sticking in the chamber.

Would I rather have a full-auto AK? Maybe. Although it would be much easier to change out a barrel in an AC556 than a full-auto AK (yes I've checked into this). But, for the cost of a full-auto AK, I could have 2 AC556's, and change to spare.
Old December 11, 2012, 04:08 PM   #24
dieselbeef

iwas talking legally...
Old December 12, 2012, 07:51 AM   #25
Grizz12

I too am looking for a good .223 semi auto to play with. After reading all the pros/cons on a few different boards, I decided that the Mini 14 has the most sex appeal.

The Styer Aug (I think thats how its spelled?) was pretty cool but not too much info on those.

BTW, this is my first post, I like your board