The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 3, 2011, 04:23 PM   #1
praetorian97

Warning for new reloaders

At first I titled this "Catching Up" as in finally saving some money on ammo by reloading. But then thought Warning for new reloaders was more appropriate.

Just when you think you are going to start recouping some of the reloading equipment costs you spent starting up. You will go and buy more equipment setting you even further back.

I thought I was pretty hot stuff saving myself money. I go to the range every weekend and save myself about $50. First of all what kind of logic is that? I save myself money going to the range and shooting expensive bullets

This is by far one of the most addicting hobbies I have had. Now if I could just talk the wifey into letting me reload inside instead of in the hot garage.
Old August 3, 2011, 04:31 PM   #2
AllenJ

It's the same logic my wife uses when she tells me how much money she saved by going to a clothing sale

Addictive is a great word to describe it but at least we're doing something constructive, right?

Oh, and if you are able to get inside the house let me know how you did it, I've been trying for years now and she's not bending!
Old August 3, 2011, 04:33 PM   #3
Smaug

Yep, we just shoot more for the same money.

As for loading inside, consider a Lee Hand Press. I load at the couch sometimes.

-Jeremy
Sent from my iPod
Old August 3, 2011, 04:45 PM   #4
praetorian97

I tried coming to bed really stinky from reloading in the garage and it didnt phase her. I started to wonder if I was always smelled when I came to bed and she was just used to it?

We have a small house that we have outgrown. Can't sell at the lost we would take in this housing market. A requirement for our next humble abode is I have a man room for my gear once again.

I just upgraded to a Lee turret press so I can spend less time in the garage. I think that was my way of quitting the moving into the house debate.
Old August 3, 2011, 04:50 PM   #5
Sevens

Often times, a wife doesn't like the idea of handloading in the house because of the "dangerous stuff."

Take a moment to explain to her that just about everything under the kitchen sink except for the dish soap is much, much more dangerous than any of the items you'll be using at the load bench.

Don't even think to tell her how dangerous that gas can for the lawnmower you keep in the garage is.
Old August 3, 2011, 04:57 PM   #6
PoorRichRichard

I hope this does not come off as condescending, but guys, try exercising some freakin' self control! By this I mean, just because you press out 500 bullets during the week, you don't need to take them all to the range with you. I do not yet reload (in the process of learning now), but I got a good local wholesaler line on 9mm at $10.50 per box of 50 out the door. Not sure how long this supply will last. I have over 10 boxes in the safe right now, but only bring about 2 or 3 boxes per range trip. I think it also helps that I shoot a lot of.22s throughout the day, but that's just me and my method of dealing with my junky trigger finger. Hope this helps, was not meant to insult.
Old August 3, 2011, 05:12 PM   #7
UtopiaTexasG19

Now that you are saving a lot of money re-loading your own bullets you need to go out and buy a good fishing boat with all the boat accessories, license plates, insurance,fishing gear, storage fees etc. so you can save more money feeding your family. Have you seen the cost of fish at the grocery store lately?
Old August 3, 2011, 05:17 PM   #8
parttime

I spend about $7.50 less than your $10.50 a box super deal for 9mm. So it's about the same price as bulk .22 LR. That's with casting your own bullets.
As for loading in the house. I told my wife that I will reload in the garage when you start cooking out there, her cooking is a hell of a lot more dangerous than my reloading.
Old August 3, 2011, 05:23 PM   #9
praetorian97

No offense taken PoorRichRichard. For a moment I thought the wifey was lecturing me. Hehe I kid I kid. I reload so much cause I eventually want to get enough stock to last me through spring/summer/fall so I can just reload in the winter months.

I like to think I was responsible with my recent "Upgrades". Although I didn't need them they did make reloading more pleasant.

First I hate case prep and my hand crank hornady trimmer sucks. I could have dropped another $2-400 on an electric trimmer but instead I bought the Lee Zip Trim and pimped it out for about $60 total. Way easier on the hands and much faster.

I bought the $110 digital scale instead of the $200 one. This saves me from the bobbing beam scale when I am checking every 5-8 rounds.

Then I got tired of seating 4 die stages for 223 and 45 acp. I could have gone full progressive but went with a turret press instead. All in all I am down $460. So in reloading math I need to reload 2300 rounds of 45 acp before I break even. LMAO
Old August 3, 2011, 05:25 PM   #10
chadstrickland

that is about like my super deal at walmart
Two weapons that was designed by the same man still in use by the us military 100 years later...1911 and m2...is there anything that comes close.....lol annd maybe perhaps a sig sauer p226 tac ops edition..
Old August 3, 2011, 05:30 PM   #11
engineermike

Don't know what you guys are talking about. I rule the roost at my house I insist on reloading in the garage. If I wanted to come inside and reload I could. Just so you know, damn I got to take out the trash again.
Old August 3, 2011, 05:31 PM   #12
PoorRichRichard

Freakin' Walmart just upped their cheap 9mm from 10.49 to 11.99 in my area! I was less than happy... Glad I saved all that brass.
Old August 3, 2011, 05:40 PM   #13
PoorRichRichard

praetorian97 $460 and you are rollin' on pressing out 45s? Sounds pretty good to me! My preliminary estimates have come out to $800-900 for a quality setup. Question for you. Are you casting your own bullets? And if not, might you plan to do so in the future?
Old August 3, 2011, 05:42 PM   #14
praetorian97

Oops sorry for the misunderstanding. $460 was the add on to my current setup.

I upgraded from a Beam Scale to a Digital. From a single stage press to a Turret.
Old August 3, 2011, 05:44 PM   #15
PoorRichRichard

Cool. Thought it sounded too good to be true. What about casting?
Old August 3, 2011, 05:51 PM   #16
praetorian97

I've definitely thought about it. I know with some of my guns they dont reccomend using straight lead rounds. I currently buy Berrys coated bullets in bulk with a friend so its not too bad. But I am always looking for ways to save money on my saving money hobby
Old August 3, 2011, 06:38 PM   #17
Lost Sheep

Loading inside

My entire loading bench fits in 3 medium sized toolboxes plus a folding workbench. (6 sets of dies in turrets, Lee Classic Turret, Scale, couple of Auto-disk powder measures and other small parts). This does not include a vibratory tumbler, which is in the laundry room and stays there. I don't need it to actually reload with. It does not include components, which have not entered in the discussion yet, anyway.

I can load anywhere. Spread out a cloth tarp to catch any spilled powder or lost primers, unfold the workbench, bolt the press onto the accompanying 2x6 and clamp it into the workbench. Set the scale up on a nearby table or stool and in 10 minutes, I am all set up. Living room, friend's house, garage, anywhere.

Keeping the tarp laundered would probably go a LONG way towards making the indoor loading process acceptable.

Lost Sheep
Old August 3, 2011, 07:33 PM   #18
Wag

I haven't bought any new loading gear for quite a few years.

Just bought and am still buying some casting gear, though.

--Wag--
Old August 3, 2011, 09:00 PM   #19
Edward429451

In the garage? I never loaded a round of ammo in the garage in my life. I have the whole basement and that's my compromise. Amateurs.
Old August 3, 2011, 09:25 PM   #20
praetorian97

Well heck then come over and help me dig one!
Old August 3, 2011, 09:36 PM   #21
jfrey

Sorry to make some of you guys feel bad but as soon as the youngest son moved out, his bedroom became the "gun room". I load on airconditioned comfort on either of two Dillon progressive presses and I cut a deal with my father-in-law. He shoots so he gladly pays for half of everything. I actually paid for my first press twice the first year in "savings". I complained about how much trouble it is to change over the press from .45 to 9mm so my wife bought us another twin press so I don't have to do anything but move my stool in front of which ever one I want to use. I've already paid for the second one in "savings".

When FIL and I started shooting we would shoot one store bought box and quit. Now I carry 30 cal. ammo cans of ammo to the range and shoot til we get tired because of all the money we are saving. Life is good.
Old August 3, 2011, 11:17 PM   #22
IllinoisCoyoteHunter

Moved in with my girlfriend. She said i need to set up my reloading stuff in the garage. HAHA! Nope!

I have a good one though. She let me have the extra bedroom for my reloading room and she loves the smell when I fire up the casting pot(that I do in the garage, of course).

$10.50/box of ammo....WOW!

I'd go broke...quick!

I much prefer my $2/box ammo.

~NRA LIFE MEMBER~
~NRA CERTIFIED INSTRUCTOR~
Old August 4, 2011, 02:02 AM   #23
Hook686

So put an heat pump in the garage ... Summer/Winter comfort.

When the number of people in institutions reaches 51%, we change sides.

Last edited by Hook686; August 4, 2011 at 02:09 AM.
Old August 4, 2011, 02:05 AM   #24
farmerboy

wow you guys are so lucky to have the garage all to yourselves, I think I may ask my wife if I can take all my stuff out of our bedroom and take to the garage. Hey maybe I can also quit shooting out of livingroom window and start driving to a range somewhere too. Aaaah NO!
Old August 4, 2011, 07:37 AM   #25
kalevatom

Sounds like some of you lost control of your own lives! A climate-controlled basement workshop for reloading and a wife that handles the brass sorting and cleaning! Life is good!