The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old September 14, 2016, 08:57 PM   #26
Rmart30

Ive bought several rifles and handguns that I wanted, but never got around to shooting or shot a few thru it and didnt like it. I have handguns that Ive had for over 20 years and never fired them.
Most of my rifles will at least get scoped and sited in. I know several have less than 20 rds thru them, and a cpl have never been shot at all.

I know my dad has a couple of shotguns that are at least 40 years old that he has never fired.

AR's and AK's id be skeptical of a low round claim but there are a ton of hunting rifles with very low round counts around.
Old September 15, 2016, 08:01 AM   #27
johnwilliamson062

A lot of personal taste in firearms. Someone may bu and really hate a gun because of ergonomics and it may be great for someone else. It may still shoot tny little groups and run reliably, so they will say it shoots great.
Old September 15, 2016, 10:56 AM   #28
Lohman446

I put no value in "low round count". While I know there are a lot of firearms out there with extremely low round counts I also know there are a lot that are not. Go by what you can see on the gun - does the feed ramp look worn? Do things feel worn? Are things loose?
Old September 15, 2016, 03:56 PM   #29
rickyrick

When I was poorer, I'd sell a gun in an instant if I needed the money for my family.

Not so much now
Old September 15, 2016, 05:20 PM   #30
ThomasT

I just created an UPS account so I can send rifles directly to a gun dealer because my normal dealer doesn't like to ship rifles. I did this because I feel I need to thin out what I have.

My buddy I shoot with that owns the land we shoot and hunt on is more interested in playing with his home built airplane and spends most of his time at the airport. You want something to change and control your life? Get an airplane.

My health has not been that good lately and if something happens to me it will be easier if my wife and son have fewer guns to deal with. I saw this when my dad died and my mother and I were trying to figure out what to do with his tractors and tools. We sold a lot of it but I think we got skinned on a few things.

I have several unfired guns and guns that I have only fired a few rounds through that I want to sell. Like the Remington Mountain Rifle in 7x57 that I have fired 9 rounds through but doubt I will ever hunt with it. Thats just one example. There are more.

Lots of my guns just get fondled then returned to the safe. I could use the money too.
Old September 16, 2016, 09:12 AM   #31
briandg

Looking at a rifle? Ask him what range it's sighted for.

Examine feed ramps to see how much brass/ copper has rubbed off.
Old September 16, 2016, 12:07 PM   #32
Slamfire

Just recently a 78 year old Father was at the range with his 40ish Daughter. Dad wanted to teach Daughter how to shoot. She was slim, about 5' 6". Dad let her fire his 22LR H&R M992 revolver, a revolver Dad had purchased new in around 1953. The woman was not intimidated by the 22 LR. Dad carried in his pocket a 380 pocket pistol, similar to the S&W Model M&P BODYGUARD or the Kel-Tec P-3AT https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kel-Tec_P-3AT. His daughter was unable to rack the slide and barely had the finger strength to pull through the trigger. This pistol was inappropriate for her to use as a self defense weapon.

They also had an aluminum frame P-38 which the Daughter fired. She was intimated by the thing, claimed it hurt her hand, and the manual at arms was beyond her understanding. It was hard for her to rack the slide. They were going to the gun store to trade the P-38 off for something simpler. Maybe they did, or maybe it will show up for Craigslist.

Used guns can be a bargain if you closely examine them. I purchased a very old five screw Smith and Wesson in 32S&W Long that had been in the family before WW2 and had been in a leather holster about as long, for the holster removed some of the bluing from the side of the barrel. After I cleaned out the dried crud that had jammed the lockworks and the barrel, I found a perfectly timed revolver with perfect rifling. I doubt the thing had been fired for sixty to seventy years.

The 32 S&W Long was a good price, the mixed parts P-38 the seller also had was not. He had gone to a Gun Store for an estimate and they were not interested in the gummed up S&W and they told him a price for the WW2 era P-38 that would have been correct if the thing was matching parts. It was not. I was not interested in a mix master at a known high price and an unknown functionality.

Few people shoot their weapons, the greatest problem is rust as these neophytes don't clean their firearms and the things rust. That was something I was explaining to the Father/Daughter combination. Their P-38 was an old military pistol from Interarms, had not been cleaned or oiled in a long time, they had just fired it, and I told them that they needed to wipe off the powder fouling or it will rust. Who knows if they cleaned it or not. Also take a cleaning rod and bristles, and if you can't easily get to a bright, pristine barrel, pass on the thing.

I did not do that for this Stevens M43

I did not have a cleaning rod, assumed what I saw in the barrel was lead fouling, and it was not. The barrel is a sewer pipe. The pistol will go bang and that is about all it is good for.