The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old September 5, 2016, 10:11 AM   #1
Codye

03-A3 Smith-Corona

I inherited this rifle from my dad. I'd like to get some history and possible value on the following 03-A3.

SS# 3654155. End of barrel stamped S C 3 43. Stock at the bottom has D1836-4 closer to the butt. Behind the trigger guard P without a circle. There is an M just above the screw on the stock where the bottom plate is located. Bore is shinny.
It has been parkerized.
Is there anything else I should look for?

Thanks

I tried to upload some pictures but they are too large and I do not know how to make them smaller. If anyone can assist with the photos I would appreciate it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_9702.JPG (215.8 KB, 112 views)
File Type: jpg 100_9703.JPG (223.3 KB, 86 views)
File Type: jpg 100_9704.JPG (222.3 KB, 84 views)

Last edited by Codye; September 5, 2016 at 11:17 AM.
Old September 5, 2016, 10:29 AM   #2
P5 Guy

SC 03A3

If it has not been sporterized you may get around $800-$900 in this area, central west coast FL.
As the next poster will say pictures are everything to the interweb appraisers.
Old September 5, 2016, 10:37 AM   #3
Codye

No, it has not been sporterized.
Old September 5, 2016, 10:46 AM   #4
CWKahrFan

If anyone can assist with the photos...

The probable cause is too many bytes in the file. The only "fix" I know is to change to the lowest byte-choice setting that your camera has... then take another pic.
Old September 5, 2016, 11:54 AM   #5
Codye

Photos posted. Not as clear as I would like.
Old September 5, 2016, 02:54 PM   #6
tahunua001

I usually post pictures to photobucket, then imbed the pictures using the insert image tool in the post editor. that allows for extreme hd pictures.

as for your rifle, the serial number dates to 1943 and the numbers on the barrel near the muzzle correspond to the month and year of barrel production so it is likely original given the 1943 date on the barrel as well. it hasn't been sporterized and the hardware all appears to be there so assuming it was never rechambered to something else, it would be an excellent specimen of the 1903A3, usually valued between 700 and 900 in the good condition your gun is in. it's safe to shoot like all WWII era springfields and any old 30-06 ammo will do. I personally wouldn't sell it, but rather let it accumulate more and more value over time, 20 years ago those sold for $150, in another 20 it could be worth several times what it is now.
Old September 6, 2016, 08:26 AM   #7
kraigwy

Quote:
I inherited this rifle from my dad....... possible value on the following 03-A3 =
PRICELESS:

The M1903a3 it the finist, most accurage bolt action military rifle made. When compaired to other vintage rifles (to the mid 50s) it out shoots all others as proven by the scores fired in the CMP Vintage Rifle matches.

The A3 due to its rear sight, is easier to shoot then the M1903s with the ladder sight. The down sight the A3 sight limites you to 800 yards.

The fact that its you father's rifle makes it priceless in my opinion.

Its getting harder to find un-"bubbaed" M1903s. Imagine what it would mean to your grandkids who would inhairate it down the road.

In the mean time, SHOOT IT. Take it to some CMP Vintage Rifle matches and let the old girl show you what it can STILL do.

And in case your wondering, your rifle was made in 1943 so your 3-43 barrel would indicate its the orginal barrel.

I put a '43 (un-issued) barrel on my A4 for Vintage Sniper matches and its quite acccuate.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old September 6, 2016, 12:22 PM   #8
T. O'Heir

"...Not as clear as I would like..." Just the lighting. They'll do nicely as is.
Your rifle is easily worth a grand, minimum. Needs a bath(only. ANY sporterizing or anything other than just a bath will drop its value by half.) though. Several of 'em on Gunbroker running around a grand.
Mind you, like kraigwy says, inherited from your da makes it priceless.
Old September 6, 2016, 02:34 PM   #9
Jim Watson

An A3 in a C stock seems unusual. Replacement or they used what was on hand and you got lucky? I don't know, but for an iron sight shooter, there are few stocks more comfortable than a military C type (full pistol grip.)
Old September 6, 2016, 08:54 PM   #10
tahunua001

the wartime expedient pistol grips(scant) generally saw a lot more use as replacements, but I could see C stocks being used if that was all that was on hand.
Old September 6, 2016, 09:03 PM   #11
Codye

Sorry to ask this since I'm not up on a lot of this but what is a C stock? What makes it different then the regular stock?
Old September 6, 2016, 09:27 PM   #12
Jim Watson

1903 had a straight grip stock.
1903A1 had the C stock with full pistol grip.

I have read that 1903A3 was issued with straight grip stock, that the ugly scant grip stock was largely if not entirely a replacement part.
Old September 6, 2016, 10:12 PM   #13
tahunua001

there were 4 different styles of stocks used on 1903 rifles. the first that was used through to the end of WWI was a straight stock with grasping grooves. the 1903A1 made between WWI and WWII had a pistol grip style stock, also known as the C stock that improved ergonomics, but was more difficult to produce. when WWII happened the 1903A3 was developed to improve production time and reduce costs and used a straight style similar to the WWI models but did not have grasping grooves. lastly there was a scant style stock that was similar to the pistol grip stock but was faster and easier to make, this was primarily used to fix broken stocks and to my knowledge was never used on rifles that left the factory. lastly there was the 1903A4 sniper rifles which went back to the C stock to improve shooter comfort/ergonomics. so at any time during WWII there were any number of 3 different stocks which could have been used as a replacement for a damaged stock, although the only one that would be "correct" for a factory smith corona is the straight style without grasping grooves.

here is a representation of the different styles.
Old September 9, 2016, 01:03 PM   #14
Baba Louie

SC 03's numbers range from 3608000 - 4992000

So that makes yours an early SC line make as you know from the date. (My SC is a 4800000 series so a later mfg piece)

Value? The inheritance thing... for insurance sake, $1500+.

A very nice example you have.

Shoot the heck out of it and know your father is smiling. (wait. you never said your Father passed on, so if he's still residing in mortal coil, take him shooting with you. Oh How I wish I could do that one more time) In either case... shoot it.
A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington, January 8, 1790, First State of the Union Address
Old September 11, 2016, 05:36 PM   #15
Ernest T

Your rifle appears to have a mixture of SC and Remington parts, and is in a replacement "C" stock. As mentioned above this rifle would have had a straight stock originally, and all SC parts. The "C" stock would lower the value for a collector, but might actually raise it for someone looking for a shooter.

The bolt should have a "X" mark or no mark if it is SC. It looks like the bolt sleeve at least is Remington, since SC used a scalloped bolt sleeve. Remington marked its bolts and some other parts with a "R". Some of the parkerization is different on various parts also pointing to a mix of replacement parts. The barrel date is correct for that serial number, so those parts are probably original. If you take a photo of the trigger guard, and butt plate, I could tell you if those parts are SC or not.

Other factor that would affect the value would be the bore condition.

A SC 1903A3 in an original straight stock with proper stock markings, all SC parts, with a good bore would probably easily sell for $1000 to $1400. Your rifle is probably in the $500 - $700 dollar range if you were to try to sell it.

However, as said above, the fact that this rifle was passed down from your father makes is priceless regardless of its component parts and condition.
Old September 11, 2016, 07:21 PM   #16
tango1niner

Nice rifle. Not sure if you are aware of this but your bolt is cocked. You can hold the cocking piece back, get a good grip on it, (the knob on the end of the bolt) pull and hold the trigger and slowly lower the cocking piece. Or open the bolt to the top of its swing, pull the trigger and slowly rotate the bolt down fully. Doing this relieves the compression on the striker (firing pin) spring. Another option which I don't care to do is just pull the trigger and dry fire.

Verify the chamber is empty before doing any of these actions.
Old September 11, 2016, 07:27 PM   #17
tahunua001

and what is the downside to leaving a firearm cocked?
it's been well established that springs are not affected by prolonged periods of compression.
Old September 17, 2016, 06:12 PM   #18
jrothWA

There was an American Rifleman article in late 70's or early 80's,

that ID the proper proof marks that a 1903 variant was to have.
1) look at underside of bolt for a "centerpunch mark", means the bolt was proofed to the action
2)the ledge under front receiver ring should be "punchmarked" meaing pasted "proof load.
3) the "P" on the stock wrist should be surronded by a Circle, final acceptance mark.

need some closer photo's also, head over to the, www.jouster.com forum [got hacked not sure if operating], but go to the 1903 /03A3 thread an,d ask a question regarding "Proof marks" hopefully "Rick the librarian will respond.
He's a collector and shares, information.

Looks nice, and enjoy.