The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old February 3, 2013, 09:52 AM   #1
Skippymjp

A blast from the past

I was at a gun show this weekend and was behind an elderly woman at a booth. She had brought in a gun to sell, no trade, nada, just sell. The fellow at the booth politely declined, as it was a revolver and he felt he had more than enough.

I inquired into what she had, and she showed me the most beautiful Model 10-5 I'd seen in many a year. Her late husband had bought it new "about 50 years ago" for "just in case", and had fired 5 rounds through it into the ground in his back yard, cleaned it, and put it back in the box. Bluing is 100%, even though a very faint beginning of a cylinder lock line can be seen in the right light. Even the muzzle crown is still blued. I gave her $400 for it, with neither of us really knowing what it was really worth, and feel we both were treated fairly. BTW, she also still had the original box of 158 grn lead round nose ammo, minus 5 rounds. It was so old the cases were turning brown.

Old February 3, 2013, 09:54 AM   #2
Mike Irwin
Staff

That dealer was an idiot.

You didn't get a screaming good deal, but you got a good deal, and the lady who sold it to you got a good price.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old February 3, 2013, 10:23 AM   #3
Jack19

Basically as new in the box...for $400...I think you did pretty well.

All steel parts, pinned barrel, grips look almost perfect, thin barrel. None of that is available on Smith's current Model 10.
Old February 3, 2013, 10:33 AM   #4
j357

+1 on idiot dealer. He could have song and danced her into $300 and sold that particular gun (condition) within the day for around $500 at shows around here (SW OH).
Old February 3, 2013, 10:40 AM   #5
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
That dealer was an idiot.
Normally, I'd agree, but at the moment, it depends on where you are. The industry is seeing a huge spike in demand for OMGHICAPGONNABEBANNED rifles and pistols, but the demand for revolvers (outside of pocket guns) is just not there at the moment.

The dealer may have been looking for product to sell at an easy profit in a reasonable amount of time, and a service revolver isn't it.

Now, in that shape, with the box...I'd have forked over $400 in a heartbeat. Even if I didn't want it personally, and even though the market's soft, that would be something worth sitting on for awhile.

(Around here, before the current crisis, that gun would fetch $600 easy.)
Old February 3, 2013, 11:32 AM   #6
Mike Irwin
Staff

Here's the thing, Tom...

As the OMG demand continues, and supplies run even shorter, people are going to start buying revolvers at a very healthy clip because that's what's available.

Saw it in 2009.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old February 3, 2013, 05:38 PM   #7
Joe_Pike

Quote:
but the demand for revolvers (outside of pocket guns) is just not there at the moment.
Revolvers are just starting to sell again around where I live because it's the only thing that is left. I traded a model 13 to a shop back before Thanksgiving and he just sold it Friday. I was shocked that it took that long.
Old February 3, 2013, 06:24 PM   #8
g.willikers

Nice find, Skippy.
An old lady cousin was recently rooting around in her long deceased father's storage box, and came up with the same gun.
Tried as I might to wrestle it away from her, no dice.
I asked her to leave it to me in her will.
Only trouble is she's only a couple of years older than me.
But I'm meaner and should live longer.
Old February 3, 2013, 09:12 PM   #9
Corona

Skippy....I think ya done good. I bought a 10-5 last fall in nearly the same condition, except it had the rubber uncle Mike's grips. Wonderful shape, blueing was nearly new, and lockes up tighter than a tick. Paid $325 at the time, maybe a little more than I should have.

But it's a great shooter, a piece of history and the soul of a classic S&W. I just love shooting mine

You WILL shoot it, right?
Old February 3, 2013, 10:44 PM   #10
Sevens

That revolver right there would be a REAL conflict for me. It's in dang near dead-mint condition. At $300, you'd have to buy it or you'd be struck by lightning for being an idiot. At $400, it's probably the right price -- and that's where the conflict is.

All Model 10's are great guns. I have a 10-6 from 1983 and I shoot it often. I've got a pre-Model 10 from early in the century that is a family heirloom that I rarely shoot. I've got other K-frames that get lotsa love.

That one might not be textbook MINT, but it's close. There are a hundred gujillion of them, so they simply don't ever carry a high "value." Typically, you'd simply make a shooter out of it because I'm sure it shoots like a complete gem. But when I consider how easy it is to find a great shooting Model 10 that isn't nearly that minty to shoot, why would I want to put a bunch of wear on THAT one that is so clean?!

But yet, keeping it so pristine for...what? They don't have a lot of value because of the sheer numbers. These are the silly kind of thoughts that interrupt my day at gun shows sometimes!

You did good and she got the right money for her property. I just see conflict if I had come across the same deal. I'm glad it was YOU that got it. I hope you love it and give it a good home!
Old February 3, 2013, 10:49 PM   #11
Skippymjp

Oh yes, I intend to shoot it. I'm going to load up some lead RN for it for the range, and I've ordered it two boxes of this for serious bid'nez.

Buffalo Bore 38 Special 158 grn lead semi-wadcutter hollow point
Old February 3, 2013, 11:21 PM   #12
9mm

Are you kidding me? I wonder what other "mint/95-100%" guns are just sitting in people's houses they have no clue about.
Old February 3, 2013, 11:22 PM   #13
shootniron

If that were a Taurus, you would really have something there.

But, it is very nice anyway.
Old February 4, 2013, 01:22 AM   #14
lowercase

Quote:
As the OMG demand continues, and supplies run even shorter, people are going to start buying revolvers at a very healthy clip because that's what's available.
That stage arrived about a month ago in WA state.
Old February 6, 2013, 08:49 PM   #15
tomrkba

$400 is a great price for a gun in that condition in my area. In my mind, you really made out because most service guns today will cost you $600 new after tax. I know the M10 is not all "tactical", but it will do the job. Consider yourself lucky and never sell or trade it.
Old February 6, 2013, 11:11 PM   #16
j357

+1 to Sevens and the conflicting thoughts that cross many minds throughout the day. My stepson could give that weapon to his son as a 95%.... in 15 years, if only I could keep it laid back in the safe that long.

I picked up a 90% M-10 three years ago from my Dad and knew it would be a shooter, glad I did. Now I would have no conflicts about laying a great priced nearly NIB example back, if I ever get lucky.

FWIW, my Dad is still trying to find one as good as the one he sold me above. He just made a third try two weeks ago and still wishes he hadnt sold the first to me.
Old February 7, 2013, 02:04 PM   #17
jrothWA

Just one word...

LUCKY!
Old February 7, 2013, 02:54 PM   #18
Ferretboy

I would have a hard time passing that up as well. I just got into Revolvers, thinking of selling all my hicap stuff and working on reloading supplies for .38, .357 mag, and .30-06. Plus stock up on .22 plink ammo for the kids.
Old February 7, 2013, 03:31 PM   #19
Nasty

Not tactical?

Ask an old PPC shooter to show you what an old revolver can do.

ps: The Taurus made back then were total crap.
Old February 7, 2013, 05:32 PM   #20
smee78

That was a great find, and that Taurus joke almost made me choke I had laughed so hard...
Old February 7, 2013, 06:58 PM   #21
Glenn E. Meyer

The Bass Pro near me was cleaned out of revolvers. So are the Academys.

That's a fine gun and I'd have bought it as a Biden Ban Backup!

How can a Model 10 be evil?
Old February 7, 2013, 07:12 PM   #22
USMC EOD

Wow, that is an awesome find. I wonder if anyone would think I'm creepy if I started following little old ladies around the next gun show I go to so I can find a bargain.
Old February 8, 2013, 10:54 AM   #23
Glenn E. Meyer

I was at a show and from the other side of a big table, saw a guy trying to sell a snubby Model 66 to a dealer. The dealer was low balling him and the poor fellow said he even had an extra set of nice wood grips. Before I could speak the poor guy accepted the deal.

I would have had to shout and vault the table for it. Sigh.
Old February 8, 2013, 12:26 PM   #24
Texshooter

Droooool.

Lordy, I wish I could run into someone with a similar mod. 19
Old February 8, 2013, 02:45 PM   #25
Lordy123

Your wish is my command. Except I don't have those powers

I feel lame, I'm headed to a gunshow right afterwork and all I really need is a new range bag and some 9mm ammo!