The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 9, 2012, 08:54 AM   #1
rhinonewshooter

Color for shooting glasses???

I have a new glasses Rx. The last time I purchased safety glasses, I went to the Evil Empire, and they had some awful looking yet ANSI approved safety glasses, with large lenses and side shields for around $30.

I plan on going today and picking up another pair of clear, but am also thinking of ordering a set in Red? Assuming that's the correct color, what % of color should I ask for. I'm assuming a light tint, like 20%, or so, but don't know for sure.

So two key questions: What color should I get for the first set of shooting glasses (mostly skeet) and if so, what % tint should I ask for.

Thanks!
Old January 9, 2012, 09:02 AM   #2
mete

I have polarized, grey fairly light tint .That is good for most places. Color seems to distract me. Light tint works even on dark days .Polarized takes care of most of the glare.
Old January 9, 2012, 09:14 AM   #3
rhinonewshooter

Hmm, now I'm thinking yellow based on results from a refined Google search. Still pondering what % light Medium might be, and whether yellow is the best choice.
Old January 9, 2012, 11:34 AM   #4
BigJimP

Depends on the background ...and overcast skies, blue skies, etc ...

in low light ...or shadows, like in the trees on a sporting course...I'll use a light yellow...

in normal daytime light/some sun or a mix of sun and some overcast ...skeet..targets in the open ( not in trees) ...I'll use a 'target orange" color - to make the targets pop out against the background...

In bright sunlight ...I wear a "purple" or V light ...that helps cut down on the glare. A polarized lens ...just dulls everything equally - it doesn't cause the targets to pop out.
Old January 9, 2012, 11:57 AM   #5
zippy13

If there was a universal answer as to what is the best color and intensity for shooting glasses, then they would make only one kind of lenses. Don't buy you glasses out of a catalog. As you know, the choices are many. Like getting a gun, you have to see what "fits" you best under the lighting conditions you anticipate. You need to try looking at the targets your club uses under typical lighting conditions. I find Lite Target Sun (purple) works best for me.

When I first got got into shotgunning (in the 60s) the choice was less complicated (I worked a few blocks from Bushnell), I got a pair of shooting glasses in green for day time and one in yellow for shooting under the lights. 20-years later, when I got into competitive shooting, it was a different story: most of the skeeters had glasses with interchangeable lenses (Decot Hy-Wyds). I don't know how many times I've changed the lenses as my prescription has changed over the years.
Old January 9, 2012, 01:08 PM   #6
rhinonewshooter

The answer is a bit easier now - WallyWorld does not tint their safety glasses. So now there is no rush now, I can spend some more time looking around where I shoot and when I shoot to see what might actually work well for my needs.
Old January 9, 2012, 01:40 PM   #7
oneounceload

I received new Randolph shooting glasses for Christmas. They have some that utilize a scrip insert so you do not have to buy new colored lenses every time your scrip changes. They have over two dozen colors to choose from. I got their CMT lens, a light purple and a yellow for my three lens package deal.

Tom at Texas Shooter's Optical is a big help and great to deal with
Old January 9, 2012, 01:46 PM   #8
BigJimP

I use DeCot Hy Wyd for my shooting glasses as well / they're good to deal with too.

I'm in need of a prescription change as well again ....!! ...darn it ....
Old January 9, 2012, 01:55 PM   #9
BANG

I find yellow best for almost all light conditions. Background is a wooded line, now bare of foilage. Now, shooting is under the lights--either 5-stand or trap. I have found that the yellow is also great in bright sunlight.
Old January 9, 2012, 03:27 PM   #10
sweetshot

Bang +1
I had limited choices when I went to the optometrist 2 years ago to get new glasses, and asked for a second set with yellow lenses for shooting. overall it is likely the best choice if you only have one to choose from, although it can be quite bright on very high sunny days, so I have a set of clip-ons that help darken things up a bit, but they also take some of the contrast away.
If you've got the money, the rest of the guys are also right. several different colors can be better in specific conditions.
Old January 9, 2012, 05:50 PM   #11
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

Smoke for bright light and yellow for those overcast days or walking in the woods. I have amber for bright but will be switching next time I get new glasses.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old January 9, 2012, 06:26 PM   #12
Jim Watson

I used to wear yellow ("light target gold") because I did a fair amount of indoor shooting and the yellow apparently brightened the scene (although it really doesn't.) That has dropped off to once a month, tops, so my present shooting glasses are clear which serves all conditions.
I am not much bothered by daylight so I avoid strong tints because:
Lots of light = constricted pupils = greater depth of field.
Old January 9, 2012, 07:00 PM   #13
LSnSC

I have a pair of Randolf RX Sporters with the lenses in avery light yellow tint. Good in overcast. I have a set of outserts in Orange and Light Vermillion. I like the orange for orange targets in the open like skeet and trap. Makes them glow. The vermillion dampens green and helps when shooting sporting clays against a green backgound. I like them so much I wear mine more than my standard glasses. A good set of shooting glasses is money well spent.
Old January 9, 2012, 07:24 PM   #14
shootniron

Get whatever color matches your bag and shoes.
Old January 11, 2012, 05:07 PM   #15
lockinload

My shooting glasses consist of many different colors for different skies and light. Here is one that not many will realize. If you have blue eyes, you will be more sensitive to bright conditions and may see better with darker lens than someone with brown eyes. I shoot a lot of clay and it is amazing the difference the right lens will do to make the target "Pop". Seeing and focus on the target is everything in shooting clays.