The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old April 4, 2011, 03:55 PM   #1
Hapich

1942 Husq. Swedish M38

My name is Rob. Long time military history junkie, few years military arms junkie. So far I have a Czech. VZ24, Mosin Nagant 91/30 and a SMLE. This is my first post.
I was looking at a beautiful 1942 Husq. Swedish M38 today and was wondering if I could get some info from those who know about a few things. It looked brand new. All matching S#'s, correct stampings and a great barrel. They wouldn't allow pictures however.
Two things made me wonder. The stock was beech but it was so pristine and seemed like it didn't have a finish on it. Maybe lightly oiled at most. Seemed after market. I didn't notice any stampings on it either but it did have that little disc with the cartridge conversions on it . The other thing was the rear sight only went up to 600m.
Any information would be very helpful. Thanks!
Old April 4, 2011, 06:53 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

I am not sure about the sight, but many rifles have come out of Sweden that were brand new and unissued. Remember, Sweden was neutral in both World Wars so many, possibly most, of the rifles they bought and stored for use by a national army in wartime were never taken out of storage.

Jim
Old April 5, 2011, 09:51 AM   #3
PAdutchman

I also collect military surplus, and I have a Swedish M96 and an M38. Both are in very good condition showing only slight usage. Your description of the M38 sounds to be the usual. They are very nice well built rifles, shoot very well, and the 6.5X55 Swede cartridge is a fine round, accurate, and low recoil. My advise is if the price is right go for it. It will end up being one of the favorites in your collection.
Old April 5, 2011, 10:08 AM   #4
Slamfire

A 1942 Husky would be a great Swedish rifle to own. Better metal than the 1900 vintage specimens.

The wood on these Swedes is almost 100% light colored, just an oil finish. US rifles were dipped in a red stain and they come out real dark with 60's of grease on the top.

Old April 5, 2011, 10:43 AM   #5
Hapich

Thanks for the info!! They are asking $450 ?? What do you think. I bet I can get them down to $400.
Old April 5, 2011, 12:10 PM   #6
Buzzcook

450 is not that bad for what you describe.
Old April 5, 2011, 01:25 PM   #7
cracked butt

$450 might be a bit high, especially in this economy.
FWIW, I picked up this 1944 Husky (lowest production year for any swede model) for around $300 a few years ago.

A lot of the Husqvarnas have been rearsenalled and are in 'like new' condition.

Quote:
The stock was beech but it was so pristine and seemed like it didn't have a finish on it. Maybe lightly oiled at most.
Normal. Just check behind the tang for hairline cracks, the stocks on Husky M38s were prone to cracking there for some reason- possible that the stocks weren't inletted carefully enough. The Huskies were nicely made, but IMHO, the Carl Gustavs and Oberndorfs were fitted and inletted much better. Cracks can be fixed fairly easily, but its a good negotiating point to bring the price down.

Old April 6, 2011, 09:32 AM   #8
Hapich

I really looked it over yesterday. It's legit as can be and the stock is original. Very lightly used. Shiny bore. $425. I might do it!
Old April 24, 2011, 09:56 AM   #9
RustyNut

It comes down to what you want and are willing to pay. Once it's gone $425 might not sound like a bad price.
Hope it all worked out for you.