The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old November 29, 2006, 05:06 AM   #1
Jeff22

cleaning recoil compensator on open class gun

I borrowed a friend's compensated "open" class gun to try out.

I have always competed with my duty gun from work, but I have one lonley "open" classifier score in my USPSA file from a 1994 , so I decided I should shoot a special classifier match at a local club in January with an open class gun, just to get classified.

AND MY QUESTION IS: there is some lead build up in the compensator. I got all the carbon out with Slip 2000 Carbon Cutter. The compensator is currently soaking in a mixture of Shooter's Choice Lead Removal formula and Kroil penetrating oil. I'm hoping that will break the leading loose.

IF IT DOES NOT, does anybody have any suggestions on what to try next?

I did drop the barrel into the ultrasonic cleaner at work and cycle it about a dozen times, but it didn't seem to make much difference . . .

The gun works fine with a slightly fouled comp, it just offends my esthetic sensibilities . . .
Old November 29, 2006, 10:04 AM   #2
ryucasta

I would suggest posting the question here also...

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showforum=32

Raul

Scarface/Tony Montana Says:

Send me here. Send me there. This. That. Nothing you can do to me Harry, Castro didn’t do --- nothing...
Old November 29, 2006, 11:03 AM   #3
eerw

I find if you shoot about 100 jacketed bullets ( no lead exposed ) you will blow out about 95% of the lead buildup..
otherwise I use a piece of brass rod ( softer than the steel, harder than the lead ) grind an angle on it and chisel the remaining out..
Old November 29, 2006, 12:54 PM   #4
ryucasta

I'd have to agree with EERW try using hollow points or CMJ bullets FMJ's have lead exposed at the base.

Raul

Scarface/Tony Montana Says:

Send me here. Send me there. This. That. Nothing you can do to me Harry, Castro didn’t do --- nothing...
Old November 30, 2006, 09:50 PM   #5
HSMITH

Jeff, most use a burr on a dremel tool. It works fine, but I wouldn't do it to a gun I didn't own..........
Old December 3, 2006, 01:03 AM   #6
Jeff22

cleaning a recoil compensator

Soaking the comp in the mixture of Shooter's Choice Lead Removal Formula and Kroil actually worked pretty well, after soaking it for about three days. I had to use a dental pick to get some of the deposits out.
Old December 3, 2006, 10:03 PM   #7
HSMITH

Now that you won't use it on someone elses gun

Half and half Hydrogen Peroxide and cider vinegar will pull the lead out ASAP, it literally eats it out. It CAN be hard on finishes, etch steel, etc if left too long and in general needs to be used very carefully but it works amazingly well.