The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

View Poll Results: Do you crimp for your semi-autos?
Yes 35 67.31%
No 17 32.69%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Old October 5, 2002, 12:05 AM   #1
Jamie Young

Do you crimp for your semi-autos?

Yes or No?

I'm shooting up a bunch of my previously reloaded ammo tomorrow (Saturday) with the help of several TFL members. I'm shooting up all my .223 reloads and gotta decide on my next approach at reloading....RELIABILITY!

I got the whole accuracy thing down for all of my firearms. All of my handgun rounds are flawless. All of my 30/06 rounds are flawless. All of my .223 rounds are not 100% reliable. Stuck cases occur every once in awhile.

I know what Steve Smith says but I wanna see what the rest of you do?

I'll try sizing my cases better without crimping. All of my stuff is all ready reloaded 3000rds.
Old October 5, 2002, 03:00 AM   #2
caz223

A few questions...
Do you neck size or full length resize?
Have you cleaned your chamber lately?
Not diggin' on ya or anything, a lot of people clean their gun from the muzzle, and the chamber never gets clean. Flitz it with a patch and see if it still does it.
Also, what weight bullets are you using, at what speed, and what twist is your rifle?
Old October 5, 2002, 03:12 AM   #3
Cee-Zed

Yes. Crimping is good for something other than reliability too. It seems to improve accuracy in .308 for me. I have the dies and some components for 7.62x39, but I haven't loaded one round yet (after over two years). It would probably help it also.

I don't have a .223. Not ragging them, just not my thing.
Old October 5, 2002, 09:37 AM   #4
Steve Smith

Oops

I guess I shouldn't have voted. Just keep in mind that I did so your results are slightly tainted.

Full length size (if using RCBS dies, use the Small Base, otherwise just Full Length)

Clean Chamber (does not have to be spotless, by any means though)

Most sizing lube kinda wiped off if you have the time

No weak loads.

No need for crimp.

Gun should go BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM

As much as you want.

BTW, a few statistics, and some educated guessing:

In NRA Highpower, as of June 2002, Across the Course there were:

MK 6,000
SS 2,500
EX 3,400
MA 3,100
HM 740

Its probably save to say that 80% of those folks are using the AR-15. (probably 12% are using an M1 Garand or M1A, and the remainder are using various match rifles)

Of those, ignore the MK and SS class when considering loading methods and accuracy. Besides that, the EX, MA, and HM classes shoot the most...almost weekly.

Of the EX, MA, and HM classes using the AR, I'd say that only 5% are crimping, with the majority of crimpers in the EX class. None of these guys can stand to have malfunctions.

Steve Smith
NRA Life Member
Old October 5, 2002, 10:51 AM   #5
Fatelvis

Ive reloaded for the M1A (308), with FL sizing, match bullets, and no crimp. In the past 4000 rnds (+/- 300), I havent had one malfunction. Just make sure you have adequit (sp?) neck tension, and there is no outward "flare" of the neck, that could snag something, and cause a malfuntion.
Old October 5, 2002, 01:03 PM   #6
Southla1
Member In Memoriam

I voted no but let me say this. If I am loading 147 Gr FMJ with a crimping groove in 30-06 for my Garand I do crimp. When loading the 173 Gr match or Sierra 168 Grain Match kings (used to be called International) there is not even a cannulere (or however the hell you spell it) on the bullet to crimp it.

I FL size with a RCBS regular die set and seat to the proper lenght and shoot. IF the neck tension is not tight enough to hold them in place there is something seriously wrong with the rifle.
Old October 5, 2002, 07:13 PM   #7
Southla1
Member In Memoriam

Don I am in the same boat as you...............I have loaded tons of ought six for an M-1 and for a Remington 742 (predecessor of the 7400) with just the regular RCBS 06 dies..............never had a problem............if it ain't broke don't fix it.
Old October 5, 2002, 08:52 PM   #8
Cee-Zed

I started crimping for semi-auto rifles because the manual said to. Later, I found out it wasn't really necssary for feed. The problem is that if you take your pet load, which you worked up with a crimp, and stop crimping it, it ain't the same load any more!
Old October 5, 2002, 09:34 PM   #9
Jamie Young

Yes I do clean all of my chambers EVERY time I clean my guns. I think some of my reloads should have been in the tumbler a little longer too. They were a little dirty.

I just got back from the range today. I shot up 75rds I just reloaded 2 days ago and had ZERO failures in my AR. I also ran a few of my reloads threw the sizing die with the decapping pin out just to see if they fed ok. I fired about 300rds of my M193 clone loads and NONE of them malfunctioned.

I think I'll retire my .223 crimping die. I'll hold onto the 45acp crimping die though.
Old October 5, 2002, 11:06 PM   #10
blades67

I crimp my semi-auto loads, but just ever so slightly.

I hunt, therefore I am.
Old October 6, 2002, 04:29 AM   #11
sricciardelli

Taper crimp semi-auto handguns only...
Old October 6, 2002, 07:42 PM   #12
CHAINSAW

No and NO

All my 9mm are not crimped. Use the same load in 3 s/a pistols and one s/a carbine with no failures.

All my higher power rifles are single shots with no need to crimp.

My AR Oly does have some problems with FTF with all ammo reloads included. Hoping to get enough rounds thru it to see if things iron out.

A Fine is a Tax for doing wrong-A Tax is Fine for doing well-------Chainsaw
Old October 6, 2002, 08:36 PM   #13
Gewehr98

I crimp autoloader rounds like a Moth*&$@(~er!

I got lazy one time and decided not to crimp my 7.62x39 handloads. That was the last time I did that. The bullets pushed right back into the case during a string of fire, causing a jam. Neck tension just wasn't enough, and I don't have any of that asphaltum bullet sealer.

I don't crimp so hard I mess up the bullets, but I do use the Lee Factory Crimp die on my .223 Remington, 7.62x39, 7.62x45, .308 M14NM and BM-59 rounds, and .30-06 Garand and BAR loads. ALL my autoloading handgun loads, and my magnum revolver loads, get crimped.

Neural Misfires
Old October 11, 2002, 01:14 AM   #14
tex_n_cal

Don't forget that cleaning all traces of lube off the inside of the neck is vital to getting a tight bullet fit. On semi-auto rifles with bottleneck cases I usually throw them back in the tumbler after sizing, to make sure the inside of the necks are dry.

Of course, if you get carbide dies no lube is required
With top loads & hard cast bullets, a .357 mag, .41 mag, .44 special, .44 mag, .45 Colt, .454 Casull, .475 Linebaugh, .480 Ruger, .500 Linebaugh Maximum, and .500 S&W will all shoot through Bison. To select the gun, determine how big a hole you want to put in the Bison, and how much recoil you can stand
Old October 11, 2002, 03:13 PM   #15
waynzwld

I use the Lee factory crimp die on almost all of my laods. Most all loads have improved grouping after doing this. it is adjustable for how much force and it uses a collet type of crimper. I usually use just enough crimp to make the neck tension all the same. If you screw it in, it will MAKE its own cannelure in anytype bullet.