The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 7, 2009, 06:35 PM   #1
Mel722

The Ideal Tumbler

I'm in the market for a tumbler, and was wondering what the better brand and model was for durability, performance, etc. Any recommendations?
Old November 7, 2009, 06:55 PM   #2
res45

I just use one of the blue midway tumblers,had it for several years,it's a bit noisy than some of the other but it has worked fine.
Old November 7, 2009, 07:02 PM   #3
RKG

Get a Thumblers.

Mine is 30 years old and going strong. (It is running right now.)
Old November 7, 2009, 08:06 PM   #4
benzuncle

+1 on the Thumlers. I bought a UV-10 almost 2 years ago and am really impresed with how quiet it is and how it doesn't boogie around while running. It stores conveniently inside a 5gal bucket. I use walnut media and a cheap ass timer set for 1.5hrs. I bought this w/o doing and due diligence, as it was offered as an add-on to my reloading "kit".
Old November 7, 2009, 08:15 PM   #5
Farmland

I sure have run the living day lights out of my Dillon tumbler. I think the most important part is the motor. The Dillon tumbler is on the high end but I would not be afraid to use any tumbler that has the same motor as the Dillon.
Old November 7, 2009, 08:32 PM   #6
Don P

Quote:
+1 on the Thumlers. I bought a UV-10
Do you have a web site for us?
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old November 7, 2009, 08:35 PM   #7
GP100man

Goggle Rock Tumblers.
Old November 8, 2009, 11:24 AM   #8
medalguy

Thumlers are really great. I have two of them plus I use a concrete mixer for large batches of military brass and all work very well. The oldest Thumlers I have is probably 20 years old and it runs about 4 hours every day or two. Hard to wear 'em out.
Old November 8, 2009, 11:41 AM   #9
amamnn

I use mine about 3 or 4 times a week; sometimes doing 3 loads a day. I don't clean more than 100 cases per load. I had an RCBS that lasted 3 or 4years. I now have a Frankford Arsenal tumbler that is over 10.
Old November 8, 2009, 04:03 PM   #10
Rusty W

I have a Lyman 1200 that I've used for about 10 years. I've forgot and left it on overnight a few times and it just keeps tumbling right along. I reload rifle and pistol and put anywhere from 100 to however many I can cram in there and still have some room for media. When/IF it goes out I'll buy another Lyman.
Old November 8, 2009, 05:03 PM   #11
strachan

I have had my Dillon for almost a decade and it is still running strong.
Old November 8, 2009, 05:28 PM   #12
wncchester

"..wondering what the better brand and model was for durability, performance, etc. "

They are made of a plastic bowl, plastic base, a few springs and a cheap induction motor. No secrets, not special design to any of them. Quality of motors varies by vendor's batches and no "maker" can be assured that any rum of motors will last any longer or be any better than any other. Get a color that looks pretty to you.

The motor in my 22 year old Lyman 1200 tumbler shorted last week, it's sitting on my recliner table now. I'll have to find an electical supply house for a new one tomorrow. They are the same common motors used in bath exhausts and kitchen stove hoods, one should cost me about $15 retail and I will be good to go for another 20 or so years.
Old November 8, 2009, 05:47 PM   #13
LHB1

My first vibratory tumbler was a Lyman but the perforated top allowed walnut media dust to escape and cover everything nearby. I used it for years with a towel draped over it to keep the dust in but finally tossed it. Now have a Berry's vibratory tumbler. It is quieter than the Lyman and the solid/clear top retains the walnut dust. I like it much better. Have read that vibratory tumblers clean quicker than rolling tumblers but have no experience with the latter type.