The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 11, 2007, 10:50 PM   #1
kcstrom

Beginner Bullet Question

I am a noob at pistol shooting and reloading. I'm looking to buy my first reloading equipment this coming weekend. I live a couple of hours from MidwayUSA, so I'll probably drive there to pick up everything after ordering online this week sometime.

From what I can see, Rainer bullets look to be the cheapest for practice shooting (just bought my first pistol (PX4 9mm) two weeks ago), and I need a lot of practice shooting.

My question is this: what are the disadvantages to the Rainer bullets? I beleive you get what you pay for, I'm just wondering why they're so much cheaper. It looks like perhaps because it is more lead and less other stuff than other bullets? Aren't other bullets of the FMJ variety basically the same thing?

Many thanks in advance for all of the kind and informative replies. You guys are great!

kcstrom
Old February 11, 2007, 11:26 PM   #2
Shoney

kcstrom
Rainier bullets are very good, accurate bullets. They are lead bullets that are copper plated, as opposed to the jacketed bullets. You would be wise to seat and crimp the bullets in seperate operations and apply only a very light crimp (this prevents distortion of the bullet).

Keep the velocites to midrange, check the barrel often during load devellopment for fouling (primarily copper but lead fouling can occur).
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111
Old February 12, 2007, 06:42 AM   #3
Dogjaw

Here's their web site. http://www.rainierballistics.com Click on load data. The bullets are made cheaper, thus sold cheaper. This does not mean they're bad, just good for their intended use, which is target shooting. Lead bullets are cheap too, but the bullet of choice for most target shooting because of costs and accuracy.
3) The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves..........
Old February 12, 2007, 09:30 PM   #4
kcstrom

From what I gather, the difference between Rainier Total Copper Jacket (TCJ) and a full metal jacket is the fact that the copper is electroplated onto the lead.

Is that the only difference? I really don't understand why a FMJ is better. Can someone please explain to a noob here?

Many thanks.

kcstrom
Old February 12, 2007, 10:04 PM   #5
Scooter72

I have shot thousands of Rainers in .40 S&W through my XD-40 without any problems and they are very accurate. I just can't get the .45 ACP's to cycle throught my Springfield 1911.
Old February 12, 2007, 10:08 PM   #6
Mal H
Staff

A copper jacket is considerably thicker than the plating on a Rainier bullet. The advantage of the jacket is that it can be extruded from a copper disk and can be much more uniform from bullet to bullet. The thick jacket holds up better to higher velocities and spin rates than the thinner plating.

Rainier bullets are essentially lead bullets that have been plated with a thin layer of copper. Most lead bullets are either swaged (forced into shape by a press) or molded. In general they are not as accurate as copper jacketed bullets of the same shape, caliber and weight, but they are plenty accurate.

As the others noted above, Rainier bullets are very good for their intended purpose. They won't be able to take full house loads in a .44 magnum, for example. But they are great for general target practice and plinking in most calibers. They have a big advantage over all lead bullets in that they don't lead the barrel and there is little danger of atomic lead pollution hazard (i.e., they're healthier).
Old February 12, 2007, 10:15 PM   #7
kcstrom

Thank you all for your replies and thank you very much Mal H for the detailed explanation of the differences!

Thank you very much.

kcstrom