The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old March 23, 2001, 09:31 PM   #1
Sid K

I have an older model Browning HP that I would like to use for an IPSC match in Atlanta next month. This pistol has a magazine safety so the hammer won't fall with the magazine removed. What do I do when the command is given to clear gun, hammer down and holster? The rules for self loaders specifically state: "magazine removed, slide forward, hammer down by pulling the trigger". Is there a simple method for removing or disabling the mag safety or is there an acceptable procedure like inserting an empty magazine?
Sid K
Old March 23, 2001, 10:36 PM   #2
karlfitt

It has been a while since I shot IPSC, but when I did, you were allowed to put and empty Mag. in after the slide was forward so you could drop the hammer.
It is also possible to de-activate the Mag. safty. I had my gunsmith do it so I don't know the exact procedure.

Karl
Old March 24, 2001, 07:06 AM   #3
WESHOOT2

Keep EMPTY mag in rear pocket, show clear, show EMPTY mag, insert EMPTY mag, drop hammer, drop EMPTY mag, holster.
Old March 24, 2001, 07:10 AM   #4
SDC

If you've got long, thin fingers, you can also do what a guy who I shoot with does; he sticks a finger up the mag well to press in the disconnect, and then drops the hammer. My fingers are too thick for that, but it works for him (my HP has had the disconnect removed).
Old March 26, 2001, 12:16 PM   #5
sb7979

You probably don't want to remove the mag safety, even though it is very easy. Isn't there something in the rules about all functions of the gun working as the manufacturer intended/designed (section 5.2.5, could be interpreted many different ways, I guess)?
As SDC stated, you can reach your finger up through the mag well, but what you want to bump is the sear, not the disconnect. I have average-to-large size fingers and I can just barely reach it with my middle finger.
Old March 26, 2001, 01:32 PM   #6
TaxPhd

No problem removing the mag safety in IPSC. ditto to pinning/deactivating grip safeties.

Now on to the real problem.

Sid, you have perfectly good Govmt. model. Why not use a real gun?!?!?

Or perhaps, heaven forbid, you should use the Mighty Mak? Horrors!!

When you come out here, have Russ buy the Red Dog, and you and I need to have a chat!

"Those who live by the sword are probably pretty f***ing good at it."

"Instructions for a successful gunfight: Front Sight, Press Trigger, repeat
as necessary." - B. Braxton