The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Lock and Load: Live Fire Exercises

Old February 15, 2012, 09:57 AM   #26
TheWanderingRed

Thanks again Mr. Borland. That’s a really good explanation of FO sights. Also I’ll start with the berm. That does make sense.
BulletbendeR: That’s exactly what I was looking for! The thing at the other range wasn’t a target, but the same concept. So I’ll print out 20 of these as soon as the service drive closes!
Old February 15, 2012, 06:09 PM   #27
Nnobby45

Quote:
So, what type of exercises should I use?
The type you used in the professional training you take before going thru your own training on the range.

And most ranges don't afford the same opportunities, like drawing, holstering, moving laterally, moving to cover, reloading etc. Indoor ranges often have restrictions on rapid fire, which is something you need to learn.

The main point is to continue GOOD training that you've learn from a good source without making up your own. Range time would be an EXTENSION of that.
Old February 16, 2012, 12:25 PM   #28
KLRANGL

WaderingRed,
If you make it to the south side of the HRBT, there are a few gun stores I'd recommend if you're looking for that .22, or anything else for that matter. Bob's Guns off Granby St, Superior Pawn off Virginia Beach Blvd, and to a lesser extent The Armory off Indian River all have good selections. I love the guys who work at the Superior Pawn off of Little Creek, and have bought a few things from them, but their selection is much smaller.
Old February 16, 2012, 11:51 PM   #29
ltc444

Dry fireing is good.

Most new shooters want to get into the combat games before they master basic marksmanship. Practice the basics

Sight alignment, trigger control, breathing, muscle tension, feet position, body position.

speer used to make a practice round. It shot a plastic bullet, had a plastic case which you placed a standard primer in. It was loaded without tools. The report was about the level of a cap gun.

When I used them I shot into a cardboard box. We also used them on wandering cats. Stung them but left no lasting damage.

Good luck and remember HAVE FUN.