The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old March 5, 2013, 09:56 PM   #1
ThomasT

Rossi 44 Magnum

I was looking around at Academy Sports today and they had a Rossi 44 mag revolver with a 2" barrel. It looked for all the world to be a Taurus Tracker revolver but without the silly ported barrel. I have owned several Taurus guns and never had any real problems with them. And I know Taurus now owns Rossi.

So I was wondering if anyone here has had any real experience with the new Taurus made Rossi's and what you thought of them? To me this is more of a strong 44 special than a magnum gun. That how treated the 44 Tracker I used to own.

The price was a reasonable $369.00. I need a new gun like I need a second wife but the idea of a new gun is just so much fun. ( a second wife not so much). Plus I already have the ammo. Opinions please.
Old March 6, 2013, 07:07 PM   #2
kahrguy

Atleast buy a 4" barrel. You loss most of the "magnum" when a barrel it only 2" long regaurdless of the brand.
Old March 6, 2013, 10:51 PM   #3
ThomasT

Thanks Kahrguy. I am aware of the velocity loss from a shorter barrel and like I stated in the first post I would treat this more like a 44 special anyway. Just like the Taurus Tracker I had the frame at the crane area looks a little small for much full bore mag load shooting. I just like the idea of a small sized 44 handgun without going to a charter arms.

I looked on the Rossi site and they don't even have this gun listed that I could find so I don't know if they even offer a 4" barreled version.
Old March 6, 2013, 11:04 PM   #4
shootniron

Do yourself and the gun a favor...shoot .44spec loads. Unless you are in brown bear country and using this for potential self defense, the .44spec loads will do the trick and not abuse the gun or you. These guns will not take a steady diet of full power mag loads despite what some of the faithful may tell you. As a matter of fact, I have the M44 and it will not stand up to the .44spec loads...it has been relegated to permanent safe duty now.
Old March 7, 2013, 09:02 AM   #5
Dan-O

If I was in the market for a 5 shot .44 Special snubbie, I'd probably be all over this gun myself. I already have a Taurus 431 and two Charter Bulldogs, otherwise I wouldn't hesitate to buy it. There's a couple of guys on Taurus Armed that have one and they seem to like theirs.

And I would agree with you ratshooter, I'd only shoot .44 Specials out of it, even though it's chambered in .44 mag.

It looks like there's a Taurus stainless version of it....but I don't think it's worth the extra bucks.

http://www.impactguns.com/taurus-m44...327605379.aspx

Last edited by Dan-O; March 7, 2013 at 04:05 PM. Reason: speling erer
Old March 7, 2013, 09:40 AM   #6
psyfly

Quote:
shootniron: "I have the M44 and it will not stand up to the .44spec loads"
I just bought a used M44 Tracker and have only fired a few rounds through it as a function check.

I am very interested in how yours didn't stand up and what kinds of repairs were required.

I'm always interested in hearing about how good their warranty service is. I've only owned two or three Tauri and none has, so far, given me any problem.

Now I'm worried about the M44; it's a very handy-sized .44 magnum and so far, I really like it.

Oh, please accept my apologies, ratshooter, I think I've contributed to your thread derailment.

OTOH, I'd like your reasons for thinking the porting is "silly" (I don't have a real opinion of it, as yet).

Thanks,

Will

Last edited by psyfly; March 7, 2013 at 12:16 PM.
Old March 7, 2013, 12:10 PM   #7
Nanuk

It cracks me up when people continually say that you lose all the velocity of a magnum with a short barrel. Admittedly, a snub nose revolver is not efficient, you do still maintain about 400-500 fps velocity over a corresponding special load in 357 or 44. In my mind that makes it just fine. A 180 grain magnum JHP will still be travelling @ around 1200 FPS from a 2 1/2" barrel VS 700 or so from a 44 special.

Yes it kicks, the question is; Are you up to the task? Me? I love the big boomers.
My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.
Old March 7, 2013, 12:44 PM   #8
kahrguy

ratshooter If you want it buy it. You can read reviews and not need an opinion here. I am one that sees to many faults with a 2" 44 mag from recovery between shoots to the short sight radius and added barrel flash. . Atleast with a 4 to 5 1/2' barrel you can gain some control, with handloads reduce magnum flash and have along enought sight radius to make a more accurate shot if needed. But agian if a 2" barrel is what you want just take the time to look the rossi over well like any revolver today and take it home if it checks out.
Old March 7, 2013, 02:19 PM   #9
ThomasT

psyfly there is no need to apologize. Thread drift is normal and sometimes brings up thoughts that I and others may not have thought of.

As for porting I have just never liked it. Plus if you pull a gun in close to your body to keep from getting it snatched from you, you may get a face full of muzzle blast if you have to fire it. Plus you can't shoot shot capsules from most ported barrels.

The 44 Tracker I bought so I could carry it with shot loads on a snakey deer lease I was on and then found out shot loads were a big no no in that gun.

I did shoot my Tracker with full power loads a few times but most were 44SP equivelent or light 44 mag loads. It was fun to shoot and I never had any problems with it. I suspect the Rossi would be just as good.

Dano that SS Tracker would do the trick too. Not in stock though. Plus a couple hundred bucks more than the blued one I found. Thanks for the link.

Did anyone see Rossi is making 30-30s, 45-70 and 410 lever actions? I saw those when I went to their site yesterday. They look like copies of the Marlin guns.
Old March 10, 2013, 01:11 AM   #10
Texshooter

My understanding is, due to import restrictions, Taurus has to cut the barrel to 2".
Old March 10, 2013, 01:42 AM   #11
shootniron

Quote:
I am very interested in how yours didn't stand up and what kinds of repairs were required.
My gun will begin to fail to lock up after about 500rds...have jumped through this hoop before and will not do it again. I will not sell it to someone else and I will not pay for shipping to have it fixed again.

As far as customer service is concerned...the newer the gun is, the better the service. I am not sure as to the quality of the repair...it seems as though it is no better than it was when new. This is just my experience. and it has been the same with a 970 .22lr...in my opinion they are substandard and I will not buy another. I hope that you have the service from yours that others have had with theirs...maybe it will be better than either of mine.

I really like the M44,not a Tracker, it is a great shooting gun...just not much quality there.
Old March 10, 2013, 01:57 AM   #12
9mm

Quote:
The price was a reasonable $369.00
and the price for a S&W or Ruger 44 mag $600-$900, double, no the price of $369 is not reasonable, I question the quality.
Old March 10, 2013, 10:29 AM   #13
roaddog28

Be very careful and check the revolver out carefully. Dealing with Taurus customer service is a nightmare. I had the pleasure of going through this experience.
Good luck,
Howard
Old March 10, 2013, 10:33 AM   #14
skidder

Quote:
Be very careful and check the revolver out carefully. Dealing with Taurus customer service is a nightmare. I had the pleasure of going through this experience.
Good luck,
Howard
+1
Been there done that. Never again.
Gun permit?? A bread crumb tossed to a sleeping society awoken by the sound of complacency. "They are for your own good", and "you will understand when you see all the lives they save". Yes master, what else will you toss me from your bag of infringements?? Do you want me to roll over and play dead? I do that very well. --skidder
Old March 10, 2013, 06:24 PM   #15
kahrguy

Ratshooter if you want a bullet proof 44 mag that can give you the option of a short barrel or long find a danwesson 44 mag to buy. Then get a barreland shroad you want at EWKarms.
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...s_id/411547593
Old July 28, 2013, 01:03 PM   #16
LRogers

Rossi 44 mag

I recently purchased the Rossi 44mag with a 2" barrel, the mag loads have a bit more kick and seem to be less accurate then the 44 special loads. With the Hornady 180 grain loads it does quite well holding a 4" group at 30 yards. Figure this will make a excellent Hog gun at close range.
Old July 29, 2013, 11:17 AM   #17
Budda

Ok. I am not a Taurus fan boy. I had a .17hmr 8" revolver that got sent in and never sent back. They sent a check. It was a 12 month pita.... This was in 2008. I own a 2005 .38 snubbie 85 from them and it is perfect. At 7 yards it will put them in the same hole off a rest. I love it. And my all time favorite 9mm is my PT-99 Beretta clone. And I actually prefer the Tarus over the beretta 92 for two big reasons. Safety placement and lifetime warranty. Back to Taurus customer service. Yes.....it sucked monkey balls. But if you do some research they have a new CEO since 2010 I think. And now it is ten times better than it was. Although I have never used it since my .17 hmr died. My PT-99 is flawless in 5k rounds and counting. Not so much as a stove pipe or FTF. But if you go to the taurus armed forum and read and research, CS is much better. There are some of the new guns I do not prefer from them are their poly semi autos....just too many little issues. But that is just me. Their new CEO, Mark Kresser, is the most approachable in the gun world. He has been known to personally call customers to solve issues and make things right. He is a gun nut as much as we are. He is not just an empty suit. He reads forums and answers emails. Try that with Colt, Berretta or any other CEO. Just my 2 cents.
Old July 29, 2013, 07:12 PM   #18
chiefr

IMHO, I would pass. Better off with a S&W or Ruger in this powerful cartridge. I too have seen my share of QC problems with Rossi.
Old July 30, 2013, 01:49 PM   #19
robert1811

My rossi 38 never gave me any trouble loved that little gun. The rossi 357 was crap out of the box. the timig was off and a few otther things that caused the cylinder to jam up when shooting 357s (38s were ok)

But in 44 mag, please consider saving a few more checks. You would not want anything but high quality when shooting a 44 mag.

I bought a Ruger 44 mag in blue off Gunbroker.com for I think 500 or 550 dollars!! With less than 300 rounds shot through (almost no flame cutting) What a steal!!!!!!!!!!
Old July 30, 2013, 11:38 PM   #20
Tad_T

My 2008 M44SS6 has never given me any problems nor has my 2012 M444B6 Raging Bull. I like both of them. I shoot them both regularly and always carry one of them with me in the woods.

I don't have any experience with a 2" .44 or with Rossi handguns.

I have two other Tauri, a 1992 PT92 and a 2013 PT709 Slim and haven't had any problems with them either, so I have no experience with their Service Dept.
Old July 30, 2013, 11:59 PM   #21
badge851

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texshooter
My understanding is, due to import restrictions, Taurus has to cut the barrel to 2".
Not trying to argue in any way; but, that doesn't pass the "Logic Test" as Taurus® imports the 4" 44 Magnum TRACKER™s every day. Since Rossi® is a 100% owned Taurus® subsidiary; why shouldn't they be allowed to import a 4" 44 Mag TRACKER™?
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.
Old July 31, 2013, 07:51 AM   #22
seeker_two

I think he means that the Rossi's are shipped to the USA with longer barrels attached and then cut/replaced to 2" at the Taurus USA factory, getting around the "sporting purpose" clause of BATFE.

Actually, I like the idea of a medium-frame .44Mag. I wish Ruger had done this on a GP-100 frame as the Alaskan than what they do now. That said, I'd consider the Rossi a good-sized .44Spl that can use .44Mag in dire emergencies.

Last edited by seeker_two; July 31, 2013 at 08:00 AM.
Old July 31, 2013, 11:01 AM   #23
budd

Rossi 44 mag????

Are you sure that is a Magnun from Rossi?? I just check the online catalog and called Rossi on the phone and he said Rossi did not and has not made a 44 Magnun but is making a .44 SPL. He sounded young but knowledgable.
Can you tell us the official model # or name

V/R
J. Budd
Old August 5, 2013, 03:52 PM   #24
mega twin

I believe that it is an Academy Sports special,
I have a 3" rossi 38/5 shot,that I have only seen listed there,also,
Old September 7, 2013, 11:55 PM   #25
Sergeant

I compared my new Rossi 44 Mag 2" barrel to my old S&W model 29-3 w 10 5/8" barrel. Out to 7 yards was good groups. But the 44 mag out of the Rossi tumbled. At 3-7 yards it did not matter to much. But at 25 yards accuracy was significantly reduced. Still hit the silhouette with the Rossi, but my S&W was still grouping good, about 5" with open sights.

Next range test I will use some 44 mags loaded to 44 special specs. Just like any gun, there has got to be a sweet spot that will result in optimum accuracy.

I did shoot 50 rounds total switching back and forth. When I first began shoot the Rossi, the sound was so loud, that everyone momentarily stopped and looked over to see what was happening.

The Rossi is simply a hoot to shoot.