The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old February 7, 2013, 07:22 PM   #1
KROIL

Marlin Camp 9 Carbine

A friend has a Marlin Camp 9 carbine and has offered to sell it to me. He sez it only has two boxes of rounds through it. It is in great shape and he will sell it for $300 with 3 mags. 10-22-30 rounders. Anyone have one of these carbines? How accurate are they ? Ammo picky ? Will they cycle hollowpoints? Thanks
Old February 7, 2013, 10:00 PM   #2
DMK

I used to have one. It was very accurate and it did cycle hollow points. I never have any problems with any ammo.

IIRC though it was recomended not to shoot +P ammo.

That's a great price for it if it is like new.

I really liked mine, but sold it to finance an AR-15.
Old February 8, 2013, 08:06 AM   #3
Crosswire3

I just picked one up not too long ago and will be trying it out for the first time today. They sure are nice little rifles...If I were you I would buy it in a heartbeat.
Old February 8, 2013, 08:54 AM   #4
eastbank

run,don,t walk.that is a super price,they are going for alot more than that. eastbank.
Old February 8, 2013, 11:00 AM   #5
anothernewb

I would have broken the sound barrier whipping out my wallet at that price.

Friend has one. awesome gun. About the only thing to make sure of is have a supply of buffers on hand for them. they beat them up pretty regularly.

Only downside - they get diiiiirty (at least his does) fast. but cleanup is pretty easy.
Old February 8, 2013, 07:14 PM   #6
SHR970

$300......even in 80% condition it's worth that.

They are fun to shoot and are reasonably accurate. I consider it to be a 100 yard gun. Think of it as a 22 that fires a bigger bullet.

They don't care for +P ammo. They get dirty fast, especially with slower flake powders.

Be careful of the solvents you use...the trigger group housing is ABS plastic and certain solvents will melt / dissolve them. Acetone, Benzene, Toluene, Xylene amongst others are all HUGE no no's.

Do not disassemble the trigger group unless you are ready for an exercise in frustration. You will need 5 slave pins and 4 hands to get it back together again.
Old February 8, 2013, 07:16 PM   #7
Microgunner

Buddy of mine owned one years ago and we had no trouble ringing the gong at 100 yards off hand.
It worked surprisingly well.
Old February 8, 2013, 09:08 PM   #8
mxsailor803

300 bucks?! Can I get 3 for that price!!??
Old February 9, 2013, 02:16 PM   #9
Microgunner

Oops. misread.
Old February 9, 2013, 05:45 PM   #10
FireForged

Nothing wrong with those rifles and they were actually made by marlin. I would have bought it in a heartbeat and tried to hide my glee.
Old February 9, 2013, 06:08 PM   #11
KROIL

He now has my $300 and I have his Camp 9. Tore it down for a look see and lube & all is good except the buffer looks like it has a slight crack in it. I ordered a couple from Brownells. Now if the dang weather will get its act together....
Old February 9, 2013, 06:36 PM   #12
Microgunner

Congratulations, good buy.
Old February 12, 2013, 01:01 AM   #13
rc

I had one and traded it off years ago towards my 45. I let it go for under $300 with 3 12 rd mags... erggg. It was accurate and fairly reliable with S&W and marlin mags. With ball it was perfect but i noticed some hp ammo had defored tips when uloading a live round that had cycled. It is blowback operated and gets dirty quick. Bolt hold opens start to stick within 500 rounds and some guys take them out for that reason. You may want to get an extra plastic buffer because I read they crack. My started developing cracks in the wood stock at the back of the action. Knowing what I do now I would have coated that area with epoxy to stop the cracking problem. I liked it but overall, my PC carbine is a much stronger and more reliable gun. For $300 today if in good shape I'd say buy it. Your buddy probably had bolt hold open sticking problems which as I said can be curred by taking it out or frequent cleaning.