The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 3, 2001, 07:50 PM   #1
Jspy

Colt Delta Elite...

in 10MM. I just seen one of these at my local shop and wanted some feedback on them. I know this one is a special edition as well. Do these punish the shooter as well as the frame? Good buy or not? The price is $699. It is the stainless version,LNIB.
Old October 3, 2001, 08:35 PM   #2
shiroikuma

You will get no more "punishment" than a .45 1911. I think the price for a stainless, limited edition is fair to good. Most blued ones are 600+ here and stainless 800 ish.

shiro
Old October 3, 2001, 09:10 PM   #3
LASur5r+P

10mm

Jspy,
Look at it this way...the 10 mm. teaches you to bear down and use good follow through...That way your .45 feels softer when you shoot it.

The only thing, honestly, is that I had to practice a lot more to bring the 10mm down to bear on target for follow up shots, but I certainly wish I had gotten the Delta Elite a while back.

Really, a positive response learned was that I am much quicker at my follow up shot on my .45.

Other than that, it's just a little louder, little more recoil.
Old October 3, 2001, 10:23 PM   #4
lonegunman

10mm is a fun round, though admittedly somewhat unnecessary for most defense applications...
Old October 4, 2001, 02:04 PM   #5
agtman

$699 is a decent price for a LNIB stainless Delta Elite. You can still get the 8-rd factory mags from Brownells. They also carry the 9-rd McCormicks with base pad.

The DEs were set up with a goofy double recoil-spring system. While the one's I've shot over the years worked fine, I'd say Colt was fibbing just a bit that those springs give a cumulative 23 lbs of resistance. Not really a problem. You can get standard or full-length guide rods and 24 or 26-pound Wolff recoil springs to reduce felt-recoil.

Apparently some people (the more supple-wristed and advanced arthritics among us) feel the DE's recoil is a tad much. Many stores carry thickly-padded shooting gloves (with & without fingertips). Tylenol is readily available at your local Pharm. Sniff.

The standard guns come with a thick rubber ("pribble") wrap-around grip. Between a stiffer recoil spring and the rubber grips, my prognosis is that you'd survive, and even enjoy, numerous range sessions with it.
Old October 4, 2001, 08:05 PM   #6
halfcocked

I had one a number of years back which I paid $400 LNIB. I kick myself all the time for getting rid of it. I would love to get another down the road. I didnt notice that much excessive recoil either and it was very accurate for me.
Old October 4, 2001, 08:18 PM   #7
ATTICUS

"Do these punish the shooter as well as the frame? "

Only when you open your wallet to buy ammo. I bought a Colt Delta when they first came out. The recoil wasn't that bad, but the muzzle flash was significant. I thought that the price of ammo would drop fairly quickly, but it didn't , so I sold it. That was a long time ago, I don't know what 10mm sells for these days.
Old October 4, 2001, 09:05 PM   #8
OkieCruffler

My brother's only gun is the Delta Elite. He carries it religously, I think he even sleeps with the thing. He keeps buying other pistols only to get rid of them when they don't live up to his Colt. He has thousands of rounds thru it and swears that it's never failed. He acts like it's the holy grail or something. I've shot it, not a bad piece, but it wasn't a spiritual experience.