The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 1, 2012, 07:04 PM   #1
boostedtt91

Ruger SR1991 vs Springfield Mil Spec Stainless 1911

ok guys sorry for all the posts and questions about 1911's, but this is my first 1911 and i want to make a good decision and something that will last a lifetime. I am going back and forth between the Ruger SR1991 and the Springfield Armory Mil Spec Stainless 1911. Both are in 45ACP, Both are right around the same price and look pretty much alike. So what is the better deal?

From what i heard Springfield has the best customer service, but there Mil Specs are pretty much impossible to find except for 1-2 i found on auction sites. I know both companies have been around for quite awhile so its really a touch choice. Please help
Old January 1, 2012, 07:09 PM   #2
stickhauler

Considering the fact I've actually seen the Springer, and have yet to see a Ruger, I'd grab the Ruger.
Old January 1, 2012, 07:31 PM   #3
Mr.RevolverGuy

I recently had the same decision to make. I decided on the Ruger and wrote to range reviews on my website one of them including a ransom rest.

http://www.dayattherange.com/?p=1612

http://www.dayattherange.com/?p=1660

You should be able to find the milspec. It is the Springfield GI which has been put on hold for now until they catch up on the Range Officer and other models. I liked the sights better on the Ruger than the Springfield milspec. If your comparing the milspecs I would think it would be a comparison of the Springfield milspec and the Remington R1.
Old January 1, 2012, 08:31 PM   #4
boostedtt91

yeah the Springfield Mil Spec Stainless basically seems to be non existant now. I have probably called every gun shop in a 3-4 hour radius of me and not a single one either has one or can get me one. The best answer i got was i can order you one but i can't tell you how long it will take, could me a month or a year. None of the Online gun shops have them or can get them either so IDK? The parkerized mil specs are around, but no stainless

Good review of the Ruger in your article^^ except for your making me nervous that if i decide to get the ruger that i might not be able to find one of them either for awhile if their that far behind haha

Last edited by boostedtt91; January 1, 2012 at 08:46 PM.
Old January 1, 2012, 08:59 PM   #5
Mrgunsngear

I own several Springfields and had a Ruger. Both great guns for the money. You won't go wrong either way but if I had to choose, I'd get the Ruger. The milspecs are okay, but the Ruger has a nicer overall appearance IMO. The modern hammer and novak sights just look 'right' to me on a 1911...
Old January 1, 2012, 09:04 PM   #6
Kreyzhorse

I don't believe you can go wrong with either. Let us know what you pick and how it performs for you.
Old January 1, 2012, 09:41 PM   #7
defjon

Springfield MIGHT be made in the USA depending on which example ends up in your hand- but Ruger will be!
Old January 1, 2012, 10:12 PM   #8
boostedtt91

ok every vote so far is for Ruger. I must say the Ruger is starting to grow on me, i mean comparing both side to side, they look pretty much the same except for slight variations. I like sights Ruger put on it and i like the skelentonized trigger more as well.

I also like thats its 100% made in America and seeing that it just came out there will be lots of parts available for quite a while. How is Ruger's customer service? To me, customer service is one of the most important parts as if they don't want to help you or make sure your 100% happy then ill go somewhere else. Had a HORRIBLE experience with Leupolds customer service and ill never buy anything from them again just for that reason.
Old January 1, 2012, 11:08 PM   #9
Muad' Dib

Quote:
I own several Springfields and had a Ruger
Had a Ruger? If the Ruger was so good why have you already dumped it?
Old January 2, 2012, 12:39 AM   #10
laytonj1

Quote:
Had a Ruger? If the Ruger was so good why have you already dumped it?
Sure looks like a vote for Springfield to me.

However, finding either one is pretty tough right now.

Jim
Old January 2, 2012, 11:32 AM   #11
KC Rob

The Ruger SR1911 and the Springfield Mil-Spec is not an apple to apple comparison. The SR1911 has better sights and a lot of upgrades over the Mil-Spec namely beavertail Grips safety, commander type hammer, skeletonized trigger, and checkered flat MSH. It would be considered an "Enhanced 1911" where the Mil-Spec is a basic "GI" type pistol. If you are looking for a good quality starter 1911 I would go with the Ruger.
Old January 2, 2012, 01:05 PM   #12
mdThanatos

Having just acquired a Mil-Spec a few months ago I can tell you that I like the pistol a lot. It is my first 1911 and I chose it because it is simple, no frills, basic, with better sights than a GI, which is something that I definitely knew I wanted. I also chose it because I wasn't sure of what "extra" features I wanted on a 1911 and having shot it in stock configuration I know what my preferences are.

It has been reliable for me, no issues at all and I would definitely consider it to be a good quality starter 1911, just in a more basic configuration.

If you can, try to fire one or the other to see what features you like, you may not need the skeletonized trigger, or the BTGS...
Old January 2, 2012, 08:58 PM   #13
boostedtt91

Thats the only disadvantage is i can't actually try and of these two out or actually hold them before i decide since they are both impossible to find right now. Im more so leaning towards the Ruger now so im gonna call a few of my local gunshops and see if they might be able to get me one in a timely manner
Old January 2, 2012, 10:35 PM   #14
mdThanatos

I don't think you will go wrong with either one honestly, just different features between the two really.
Old January 2, 2012, 10:50 PM   #15
boostedtt91

thanks for everyone's advice
Old January 3, 2012, 01:49 AM   #16
bitttorrrent

Was in over Christmas and asking Cabelas if they had any.

Another guy came over and said I was the 16th person asking that day and they had not bot any in, had not even seen one and the rep. could not even tell them if it was going to be 1 month or 1 year.

This was in IN.
Old January 3, 2012, 01:45 PM   #17
ScotchMan

Not sure why no one has answered this question, but Ruger's customer service is FANTASTIC, almost legendary. If that is a large factor in your search don't hesitate to rule out the Ruger.

NRA Instructor
NRA Member
Old January 3, 2012, 03:20 PM   #18
erob3

I bought the Springfield SS Mil-Spec a couple of years ago, it was a very nice pistol and was very accurate. The trigger was terrible, it had to be 8-9lbs. I changed the main housing spring, did a trigger job on it and was able to get it down to 3-5 lbs., after that it was fine. Then came along the Ruger, I quickly said goodbye to the Springfield. The Ruger was great out of the box, not to mention the trigger being much better than the Springfield. Both pistols are accurate, I never had any problems with either so as to customer service I can't address that issue. I also like the fact that Ruger is American made, plus I paid less for the Ruger than the Springfield. In the end I still have my Ruger, it's a great pistol. Good Luck.