The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 17, 2011, 11:54 AM   #1
cltinseattle

Glock 21SF vs. Glock 22

I'm sure this has been discussed dozens of times but here I go again. I am going to purchase either a Glock 21SF(.45 ACP) or a Glock 22(.40 S&W) for home protection. This is NOT going to be a concealed carry gun, so concealed carry size is not important. For concealed carry I have a glock 26. I used to own a Glock 22 so I am not unfamiliar with them, I have never owned a Glock 21. I am leaning towards the .40 S&W for a couple of reasons. One, because I used to own one and I know what to expect and two, because I still have a few boxes of Black Talon's in .40 S&W. (Don't tell anyone ok?) I have rented a full-sized Glock 21 at the range but they don't have a Glock 21SF for rent. The difference in the size of the grip is certainly a consideration. I do not have large hands. I know that the .40 S&W is "snappy" and the .45 ACP is "pushy" but we're talking about protecting my family here so snappy vs. pushy vs. stopping power vs. control and accuracy are all the things I have to consider. Also, we're talking 3rd generation here, I'm not a fan of 4th generation yet, and either one would likely be wearing either a Crimson Trace grip or a Crimson Trace "rail" sight. All opinions are appreciated. Thank you.
Old November 17, 2011, 01:49 PM   #2
rudyod

I have a 21SF for HD and like it. The only complaint I have (if you could call it that) is that the SF is not compatible with some accessories. Ex. I bought a Viridian laser to mount on my SF and it would not fit. It said so on the package but in my excitement (I was at a gun show) I failed to read. Anyway, i've been very happy with the gun. Good luck.
Old November 17, 2011, 08:34 PM   #3
Mrgunsngear

I have large hands so I'm not sure how much help I'll be... I have the SF version and when my hands were sweaty I had some trouble with follow up shots because of the slippery nature of the Gen3 Grips. So, I stippled the grip and it made a HUGE difference in follow up shot speed.

I've also owned the G22 but sold it due to the 'snappy-ness' that you mentioned.

For what it's worth, I probably own 40+ handguns of various types, sizes, and calibers and I use the Gen3 21 SF for my HD handgun (second to the 870 of course ). The gun has been 100% with all ammo, to include crappy TulAmmo.
Old November 17, 2011, 08:46 PM   #4
daliff89

I've shot the 21, 21SF, 22, and I own a 30. I'm a big fan of .45ACP and don't like .40S&W at all.

Even if I did like .40 more than .45, I'd still recommend the 21SF to you since size is not an issue and you say you have smaller hands.

I like .45 more for home defense as well, as it's a lower velocity and less-likely to over-penetrate your target and go into another room, although I still would get some sort of shotgun for real home defense.
Old November 17, 2011, 09:35 PM   #5
chris in va

I had a 21sf for a few months. If you're used to a glock already, the sf version fits normal hand sizes decently enough, a lot better than the normal 21.

I just couldn't shoot it accurately enough, being used to a CZ grip angle. I sold it and got my 97b.
Old November 17, 2011, 11:24 PM   #6
cltinseattle

Thanks

Thanks guys, it sounds like the 21SF is getting the vote. By the way, I also have my trusty old Winchester 1300 Defender with Knoxx adjustable stocks for good measure. You can never have enough guns.
Old November 18, 2011, 12:24 AM   #7
DBLAction454

Id go with the 21sf. More power and the price difference in ammo between 45 and 40 is negligible. I love 45
Old November 18, 2011, 12:48 AM   #8
Ambishot

Rough Textured Frame?

In terms of recoil, you might also look for a RTF model. The added texture may reduce the gun's movement in your hands. I know that the 3rd generation model 22 has that frame as a variant. Not sure if the 21SF had that option too?

Last edited by Ambishot; November 18, 2011 at 01:42 AM.
Old November 18, 2011, 03:58 PM   #9
tahunua001

say whuuu?

I dont own either and dont normally go for glocks but I've rented both on a couple occasions.

here are my observations.
1. they are both glocks so they are both like holding 2x4s...you however dont seem to have an issue with ergos so that scratches off my main objection.
2. recoil seemed quite similar so controllability is moot and minimal at best.
3. ammo prices are almost the same(as far as bulk ball ammo goes, I've never compared HP pricing)
4. both are suitable for home defense purposes.
5. the 22 can hold a few more bullets than the 21 but with rounds of this power at HD range, your odds of needing more than a dozen rounds is poor unless you get robbed by a bull moose and a grizzly bear.

so all in all both guns ar perfectly suited to your needs. a 21 is going to give you many of the same experiences as your old 22. I would go with the 21 just because there are 45 ammo stockpiles everywhere so ammo supplies are more likely to endure than with 40SW if some catastrophe hit. also, I'm the kindof guy that thinks if you ever got rid of something in the first place, be it a car, a gun, a girlfriend ETC...why would you want to go back and get that same object? a 21 would add to personal experience and help you to offer advice to someone down the road who is in the exact same place as you.
Old November 18, 2011, 04:58 PM   #10
Sgt Pepper

Based on your familiarity with the Glock 22 and your ammo on hand, that would be my choice for home defense. Nothing against the Glock 21 or .45 ACP, but why go to a .45 at this point unless you just want that caliber.

I do not believe that shooting either of them under extreme duress such as a home invasion is going to be significantly different from one to the other.
Old November 18, 2011, 06:29 PM   #11
10mm4ever

I'm not a fan of the 40, however the G22 has it all over the G21 UNLESS you're looking at running +P or .45 Super from the G21. The 40 really will match the best standard loads of the 45acp in every way and gives you two more rounds. If you're looking at running the nuclear loads from the G21, it has the advantage as a hunting pistol and can deliver punch that the 40 simply cannot match.
Old November 18, 2011, 07:21 PM   #12
tahunua001

Quote:
the G22 has it all over the G21 UNLESS you're looking at running +P or .45 Super
that is highly subjective. the 40 may have higher velocity and more FTLBS at the muzzle than the 45 but it also loses speed and energy faster over range. at 50+ yards a 230gr FMJ 45 overtakes a 180gr FMJ 40. granted these are outside most peoples shooting distance and well outside HD ranges but the statement that any standard 40 round is superior to a standard 45 round is complete bogus.

all references to velocity and FTLBs are based off ATK ammo charts at federalpremium.com

Last edited by tahunua001; November 18, 2011 at 07:28 PM.
Old November 18, 2011, 07:40 PM   #13
gmarr

I'd like to recommend the G37. Yeah, the 'forgotten' Glock.

Well, I'm a LEO here in Miami and have carried my G37 for several years now. It has the standard size frame as the G17/G22 but with a bit larger slide. For me, I find it has better balance than the G22 and I shoot more accurately with it. And the ballistics of the .45 GAP round are equal to the .45 ACP. I carry 200 grain GDHP as my duty load.

If you can try one before making a purchase.
Old November 18, 2011, 07:49 PM   #14
tahunua001

ditto to the longslide. I much preferred the 35 to the 22 both in terms of balance and accuracy.
Old November 19, 2011, 05:28 PM   #15
Mrgunsngear

You know you want one....

Old November 20, 2011, 07:57 PM   #16
cltinseattle

nice pic

oh heck yeah I want one, nice pic! I have a Streamlight TLR-2 mounted on my Winchester 1300 Defender.
Old November 20, 2011, 08:18 PM   #17
Terry A

I'm not going to be much help......

I have a G21SF and the G22 was my last duty gun. Both are outstanding. The G22 has a smaller grip & more ammo. The G21SF is chambered for my favorite caliber.

You are most assuredly on the right track with either of these great pistols.
Good luck with your decision!
2 Thes 3:16 "Now may the Lord of peace Himself continually grant you peace in every circumstance. The Lord be with you all! "

Tags
.40 , .45 , glock , home protection